Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yodude
  • 1 Post By bruce4life

Thread: Steven Jackson- Will he return?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson- Will he return?

First off, congrats to SJ for his 8th consecutive 1000 yd. season. Now for the obvious question: Will he be back? He's said all the right things during the season and after the game about wanting to remain a Ram. We all love him. But we also know football is a hard business. Emotion can't factor into management's decision.

On the positive side, Jackson is still productive. He's been the franchise for years. He's a warrior and a leader. On the down side, he'll be 30 yrs. old- a time when RB's start the inevitable decline in performance. And Jackson has a lot of mileage on him. Getting rid of a guy a year too early vs. a year too late is a train of thought many football execs follow.

While Richardson showed promise, I can't see him being an every down back. We'd need to draft a guy if we let him go. What would SJ be willing to do money-wise if staying were an option offered to him? I'm afraid SJ will be the Don Mattingly of football- a star player who after years of carrying a team will leave just before they get good. A shame.

Comments?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Steven Jackson- Will he return?

I hope so, but wouldn't blame him for joining an immediate contender.

He stays in phenomenal shape and could probably pump out another 1000-yard season or two, even if he doesn't have the same speed and quickness. I would love to see him stay as part of a 1-2 punch (with... someone), because his leadership and example, above all, is most valuable.

Plus, if he left, I'd have to change my avatar.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm really not sure on this one. I would like for him to stay another year. But did anyone hear yesterday the commentator say that he wanted to play on a championship team next year? I thought I heard something of that nature.

Yodude is offline Registered User

But did anyone hear yesterday the commentator say that he wanted to play on a championship team next year?
    ...and how do you know he wasn't referring to the Rams?
    evil disco man likes this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    ...and how do you know he wasn't referring to the Rams?
    You know, I can't argue with that one

bradwill is offline Registered User

It will come down to $$$ and whether he and the Rams can reach a happy middle. If Snead and Fisher are totally sold on Pead and D-Rich being the future starting right away, SJ is probably heading elsewhere. If they feel he still has a lot of value as the #1 RB with the Rams....they can probably get it done.

Love to see him back myself, but he may get an offer that makes a lot of sense to him from another team that the Rams feel is out of their budget. As many Rams' fans often forget, there is a salary cap in this league

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Steven Jackson- Will he return?

What SJ39 brings more than almost any other runningback in the game today is te intelligence in the pass blocking game. Numerous times this season D-rich missed a block and had Bradford on the ground.

SJ39 brings so many more intangibles of the game to our ballclub than just the obvious stats. He needs to be resigned to a 2yr 8 million dollar deal enough said.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    What SJ39 brings more than almost any other runningback in the game today is te intelligence in the pass blocking game. Numerous times this season D-rich missed a block and had Bradford on the ground.

SJ39 brings so many more intangibles of the game to our ballclub than just the obvious stats. He needs to be resigned to a 2yr 8 million dollar deal enough said.
    Agree with you wholeheartedly. We will hopefully find a way to keep SJax around for another 2 years at a respectable salary loaded with incentives. I feel we need to give him abetter o-line to run behind and I'll bet he will really deliver. He keeps himself in great shape and there's no reason to let him walk away over money unless he expects ridiculous #'s. I don't think he will. As stated in another thread, he wants to remain a Ram.

Go Rams!