Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By RockinRam

Thread: Steven Jackson - will he or won't he be back next year?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Steven Jackson - will he or won't he be back next year?

I have been wondering whether or not Jackson will still be a Ram next year. Since he will be able to void his contract at the end of this season and become a free agent, he certainly can test the market if he is so inclined. There is also the matter of whether or not the Rams wish him to return. As everyone knows, it's a business, and Les and Fish are being paid to do what (they think) is best for the team overall.

Fish has stated at least once publicly that he'd like to have Jackson back, but who knows for sure?

I personally believe Jackson still has gas in the tank. He has been productive for us this year and although father time is not on his side, I would imagine he has at least one or two years left of being able to play at a high level.

My "guess" is he'll test the market, and then work out a new deal that allows him to retire as a Ram. Steven may have lost a half step, but he most surely has not gotten any easier to tackle. He's still a pass catching threat out of the backfield, and he's become more adept at picking up blitzers. Certainly more so than Richardson or Pead ..

Anyone care to weigh in on this one? Will Jack be back .. or not ??
    Rambos and mde8352gorams like this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson - will he or won't he be back next year?

Hope so because barring a trade or an unexpected draft pick we have nobody better behind him.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It might also depend on which RBs will be declaring for the draft and if we have any interest in them for replacing Jackson. If not , we stick with Jackson.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    It might also depend on which RBs will be declaring for the draft and if we have any interest in them for replacing Jackson. If not , we stick with Jackson.
    Do you know of any possible candidates who might be available? I'm woefully behind in matters of the draft these days - probably the result of my retirement from fantasy football.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Do you know of any possible candidates who might be available? I'm woefully behind in matters of the draft these days - probably the result of my retirement from fantasy football.
    To be honest, not this year. I have not been keeping up with the draft as I usually do. I'm a big fan of Alabama's Eddie Lacy and Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell as guys who are similar to Jackson.

But other than that, I need to look more into it.
    MauiRam likes this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I don't think we're ready to let him walk yet... We've not found his replacement yet. Richardson has been a nice surprise, but he's not a 3 down back. Pead, (I'm not calling him a bust YET) definately hasn't shown me he's ready to carry his share of the load.

That being said, Jax will have to take a paycut if he wants to wear the horns next season. There are several teams that would love to have a bellcow RB, and he's got a season or two left. Question is, are they willing to pay for him.

I want him back. I feel that our team needs him back. I think that he truely wants to be back... However, I think $$$ will prevail and they'll let him walk.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I realistically don't see Steven Jackson returning to the Rams. Although he's had a decent year, he's nearing the end. I don't think it's good business to keep him when quite probably he'll be asking for more than a player of his age at the running back position should be getting. And our recent track record indicates we're not in the business of keeping or bringing in aging veterans, no matter what they might have left.

I place no stock in Jeff Fisher saying "he'd like him back". What's he gonna' say- "I think Jackson is finished and we're just trying to get him thru the year??" It's simply complimentary coachspeak, which is uttered everytime a coach is asked about a decent player whose tenure could end.

Among other things, we need to target a running back in the draft. I like Richardson, but don't see him as a 25 carry per game type of player.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

I think there are 2 parties to this conversation. One is SJax and the other is the Rams FO. For SJax the question is does he want to retire as a Ram and for the Rams FO the question is do they feel he's still productive enough and if so what are they willing to pay him to keep with insulting him as the money will likely be less than what he was scheduled to make in his contract.

Personally, I think he will stay with the Rams and they will find a way to pay him enough to work within the cap. I say that largely because I feel he wants to stay with the Rams. He may test the water to get some negotiating leverage, but honestly what teams will be willing to spend big bucks for a 30 year old RB. I may be wrong about this but I don't see any worthy replacements either via FA or the draft. In addition SJax is the soul of this team and losing him will be a huge loss.

I really hope we can strike a deal with him because I think he wants to retire as a Ram.

Go Rams!