MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Stick a fork in em? Not yet says one pundit ..

Scout's take: Bradford and the Rams
    September, 30, 2011
    Sep 3012:27PM
    By Mike Sando

"How a team loses can shake its confidence more than the losses themselves.

The St. Louis Rams, outscored 96-36 during their 0-3 start, come to mind this season.

One question now is whether the rocky beginning forces reevaluation of the Rams' fundamental makeup.

"I thought they would run away with the division," Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said this week. "I knew the schedule was hard early and they were putting in a complex new offense, but I did not expect this. They are the worst team in the league all of a sudden."

The climb remains an uphill one. The Rams' next four opponents: Washington (home), Green Bay (road), Dallas (road) and New Orleans (home).

Life for the Rams could get worse before it gets better, in other words.

A few thoughts from Williamson on where the Rams stand heading into Week 4:

•On quarterback Sam Bradford: "I think Bradford has played well and I feel for him. They have had so many drops. No one can get open for him. He hits guys in the hands on third-and-8. He is getting no help. The line is not there, the safety-blanket running back is not there. Bradford is not the problem at all. The offense should get better when Danny Amendola and Steven Jackson are back. Bradford could really use an Amendola type."

•On the offensive line: "Jason Smith has been really poor for them. Both tackles have been bad. Rodger Saffold has not been as good as he was last year. Smith is just a disappointment. If you are going to take a right tackle second overall, you need him to be a Pro Bowler. The line situation overall is weird. They have a lot invested there. If it doesn't work, what do you do? You don’t want to use another first-round pick on a tackle. You don't want to spend on another guard. Their center, Jason Brown, has not performed up to his contract, either. He is not one of the five or even 10 best centers in the league. Maybe you draft a nasty nail-eating guy in the third round, cut Brown and use the money for a wideout or corner."

•On the defense: "The injuries at cornerback have been huge. They have no coverage ability. The defense will be middle-of-the-pack this year. They are better up front with better pass rushers. They could use a defensive tackle for the long haul. They could use another star in the defensive backfield, but all in all, I think the defense is pretty solid."
    •On the Rams' chances overall: "I’m not ready to cash them in. The second-half schedule is better. They’ll get healthier. There are talented players there. I think Steve Spagnuolo is a good coach, and Josh McDaniels can coach up an offense. Nothing is going well there right now. I still have all the faith in the world in Bradford. It’s not time to reassess. They are probably the best franchise in the division with the brightest future. They have the quarterback and I very much believe Spagnuolo will keep the defense competitive. They have huge coverage issues, but a lot of that is due to injury."

I'm not sure that will make Rams fans feel any better about the immediate future. The questions on the offensive line are probably more troubling than at any other position. There should come a time, however, when Bradford does more for the line than he needs the line to do for him. But the team needs to get more for its money up front."

RamHigh5 is offline Registered User

Re: Stick a fork in em? Not yet says one pundit ..

Good observations.Not sure I totally agree about the offensive line evaluation.I said totally agree.I do agree they have had problems protecting Bradford.I just feel there is too much of an advantage for defenses that don't have to worry too much about the threat of a running game.Also,they don't have to account for the QB taking off.Defenses that aren't too concerned about getting beat deep,because they can get to the QB quick enough.The mind set of firing off the ball to run block is not in the linemens minds.They have to be more concerned with pass blocking and stepping back,left or right to pick up their block.I read that Bradford admitted he needs to step up more in the pocket and he would complete more passes.The Rams injuries to Amendola and Jackson cost them the Giant game in my opinion.I really think they could have beaten the Eagles too if Jackson is in there to give them something to worry about.I better not see another long completion against us for awhile either.Please get someone back there that can actually guard someone.For once I'd like to see our defender going for the ball.Not running with his back to the ball,arms flailing.Despite all these problems the Rams have gone through,they can still win their division.Of course,they will have to win their division games,but first they have to WIN A Game!Period.A home game.How about their next game?How bout playing a clean game?How bout that?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

You said it best . If we cant find a way to play a clean game and not beat ourselves, then we will not win a game this season.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Let's be honest: With Green Bay, Dallas and New Orleans right after the bye, today's game is a must win- make no mistake about it. Failure to do so will have the potential for grave consequences down the road for a lot of people and another lost season.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's be honest: With Green Bay, Dallas and New Orleans right after the bye, today's game is a must win- make no mistake about it. Failure to do so will have the potential for grave consequences down the road for a lot of people and another lost season.
    I agree that today is a must win. However you're implying that Green Bay, Dallas and New Orleans are automatic losses? I like our chances against Dallas.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree that today is a must win. However you're implying that Green Bay, Dallas and New Orleans are automatic losses? I like our chances against Dallas.
    I don't. Not on the road. Not the way we've played. We lose this game today, and we can all save ourselves the time and trouble of watching another futile season of Rams football. Just being brutally frank.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Stick a fork in em. Today was a must win game. Even if we get lucky and win one of the next 3 (which I doubt) , we're 1-6. While we might be able to win the division at 8-8 and we have a pretty easy 2nd half, I don't see this team having the talent or motivation to go 7-2 or 8-1 in the final 9 games.