Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Still-angry Linehan: “I’m scared to death to lose”

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

It wasn’t quite as dramatic as Jets quarterback Joe Namath guaranteeing victory over the heavily favored Colts in Super Bowl III. But Scott Linehan was adamant that his downtrodden, 0-2 crew would bounce back Sunday in Seattle.

“I’m not making any guarantees; you can call it what it is,” Linehan said Monday at his weekly day-after gathering with reporters. “But in my mind, we’re going to beat Seattle and we’re going to right this ship. Because we don’t have a choice. I don’t have a choice, and neither does anybody else around here.”

Linehan was responding to a question about whether he was concerned about his job security. Here’s the rest of his answer:

“I’ve been concerned about my job security since I started coaching. I’m scared to death to lose. If you lose, you worry about everything. For most of my career, that’s been a positive thing. At this point, we’re not winning enough games. So when you don’t win games, people are going to want the head coach’s head; it’s the way it works. I’ve told you that from the beginning. I’ve accepted that only as part of the job, but not as part of where we’re going.”

Obviously angry in his post-game interview after the 41-13 loss to the Giants, Linehan had plenty of fire still raging Monday afternoon. Here are some more excerpts:

*On the Rams failing to “finish” games:

“Two years ago, we finished games great. Our fourth-quarter scoring and production was outstanding. Last year it was bad, and this year it’s not much better. . . . Over the last six months, we’ve done nothing but try to make adjustments and improvements. We have a new offensive system, we’ve got new defensive players, we’ve got some adjustments we’ve made within the (coaching) staff, and we’ve got a few new offensive players.

“That’s all fine and dandy, but we’ve got to go out there and turn whatever those adjustments were into positive plays and positive drives and positive finishes to the fourth quarter. Right now, that’s not happening.”

*On the defense giving up a six-play, 82-yard TD drive after the Rams made it 20-13 early in the fourth period:

“To be in a position where, bang, we finally get something going offensively when we get the touchdown with Torry (Holt) — great play, one of the best catches I’ve ever seen. To a special-teams play, bang, you have another great play (a jarring tackle by Chris Draft on the 18-yard line on the subsequent kickoff). Now it’s 20-13 and you’re really in a position where defensively, you can go out and sack the quarterback, pick off a ball, go three-and-out, and all of a sudden now it’s a one-score game and you’re playing at home and the place is going nuts.

“That’s where we were. We were in a position where we could’ve just taken that game over right then and there. And instead . . . we went back to where we were — down two scores and the clock running out.”

*On possible lineup changes this week:

“Yeah, I think so. Whether we do them or not remains to be seen as we go through the week. But there could be some adjustments to the lineup, for sure.”

*On other possible changes:

“I’ll tell you what: we could flip-flop, practice at midnight and sleep during the day. We could eat baloney sandwiches on Wednesday, penalize the team for not playing very good. We could try all that stuff. But the bottom line is how we play on Sunday and what we do when we get in those moments in the game that are going to decide our fate. That’s really nothing else you can do.”

All for now . . .

btimsah Guest

Re: Still-angry Linehan: “I’m scared to death to lose”

What else is Linehan going to say? Post game press conferences after a loss are almost as pointless as having them after a win.

The bottom line is this team was simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO STOP THE GIANTS when they needed too. The media, fans and coaching staff have overrated this team.

Is Joe Vitt available?

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

I actually enjoyed that. I'm starting to like Scotty...lmao.
    A bit too late..but still..it was rather funny.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Dear Bill Coats,
    The word is spelled BOLOGNA, not baloney. You are a professional writer, you should know this. Thank You,
    Scott

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

“I’ll tell you what: we could flip-flop, practice at midnight and sleep during the day. We could eat baloney sandwiches on Wednesday, penalize the team for not playing very good. We could try all that stuff.”
    That';s a good start. How about fines for stupid penalties; demotion for blown plays; wind sprints for the entire team. When one player fails, they all pay the price; thats how you get discipline.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Is Joe Vitt available?
    The guy did know how to get the most out of what he had.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    The guy did know how to get the most out of what he had.
    Yep. I liked most what he did to our defense. He got them focused on the fundamentals and back to running a more basic defense. Just play football. Stop all the zones and complicated schemes and just lineup and play ball.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Dear Bill Coats,
    The word is spelled BOLOGNA, not baloney. You are a professional writer, you should know this. Thank You,
    Scott
    LOL, Good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    LOL, Good one.
    Thank You, I'll be here all week

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Regardless of what anybody thinks, this is a NEW attitude from Linehan. He is clearly pissed off, and I like it. I hope he is racking people's heads all week. If they aren't giving it their all, bench them, fine them, cut them.

I really like this attitude. You want to know if the team has given up? You will find out this week ...

eldfan is offline Registered User

*On possible lineup changes this week:

“Yeah, I think so. Whether we do them or not remains to be seen as we go through the week. But there could be some adjustments to the lineup, for sure.”

I know Tye Hill fell off I wonder what other lineup changes will he make? I think Bartell should start.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Regardless of what anybody thinks, this is a NEW attitude from Linehan. He is clearly pissed off, and I like it. I hope he is racking people's heads all week. If they aren't giving it their all, bench them, fine them, cut them.

I really like this attitude. You want to know if the team has given up? You will find out this week ...
    I agree. I'm glad he's pissed too. The problem is that he should have been pissed last year. Too little, too late.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I agree. I'm glad he's pissed too. The problem is that he should have been pissed last year. Too little, too late.
    It's never too late in the NFL ...

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I agree it's too little too late but I'm glad to see he has a pulse. Maybe if we had an owner who gave a crap like dare I say Jerry Jones of Robert Kraft or even a Daniel Schnieder down on the sidelines maybe the players would be more apt to perform. I'd like to see Tye Hill or the O-line explain their performance to one of them.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Unfortunately, Linehan is starting to pull it together. He sees the end is near. If he can motivate his team and be a good coach, I'll support him 100% of the way. Juast as I was on the verge of giving up on him, he shows me his true colors. I respect the fact that he's getting frustrated. Take it out on the team. Give them a spit shower. Let them know you're upset.

Change the line up. Burton should be #2 receiver. And I THINK Little and Bell should be back. Maybe some more production? We can only hope so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast