Thread: Still waiting

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Still waiting

Oh yah still smarting from what wasn't in 07, I still find myself waiting on what moves the Rams will make for 08....nothing earth shaking yet besides some coaching changes.

So what will it be on offense? Having heard that the Rams may go more for a run-style offense; yet still an assemblence of a core for a passing offense remains. Or do we really need to wait and see till after the draft?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Still waiting

I believe we need to wait after the draft. As of now, my guess for this season is 6-10. Max is 8-8. No more than a .500 season.

However, we have to see how the rest of the free agents and draft come up. I do think, that we will be running more with our line how it is. The addition of Jacob Bell really has put us in a position to possibly get more yardage out of SJ. It also comes to who we get as our receiver. If we actually keep Bennett at number two, our pass/rush ratio might be significantly different.

We really have to wait till training camp to see how we're going to be. Remember Steven Jackson saying he would be a good RB in 07 on sports center? That could've been, but he got injured along with our OL. We keep our OL healthy next season, Jackson will be an elite RB and Bulger will put up good numbers.

As for defense, we really need a starting DE in the first round. Gholston or Chris Long fills the need. We can also get a depth player later in the draft.

eldfan is offline Registered User

(Ram Dragoon)"Oh yah still smarting from what wasn't in 07, I still find myself waiting on what moves the Rams will make for 08....nothing earth shaking yet besides some coaching changes."

(Mooselini)"I believe we need to wait after the draft. As of now, my guess for this season is 6-10. Max is 8-8. No more than a .500 season."

I was thinking the same thing nothing earth moving. I understand we can't over pay for some F'A' but i thought we would have done more. Now there is nothing sufficient left out there and no moves that can really change the coarse of the team.

I agree about your assessment of the team in 08 6-10 or 8-8 sound about right to me. Of course the draft will help but I don't think it will put us over the top. The team needs seems to great to fill every thing in one draft. A aging O line that may go beyond the injuries. Holt is aging played hurt how much do he really got left? I know how most of you think about Bennett. Jackson can't do it by himself. Bulger look like he regress to me but he could get it back. But with the crew he got now? I don't know. A D Line that can't put pressure on my son little league team, ok maybe a little, but they are not where they need to be to be a playoff team. LB I think Spoon is playing out of position do we have all we need there? We need a SS and another cb. Which lead me to the question again why in the H*** did we bring back Linehan if he is on the hot seat for next season. This look like a two year rebuilding planed and if it is will he be in that plan. 6-10 or 8-8 want get it done for him. But this one man humble opinion.
    :ramlogo:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't see anything above 4-12 at the moment. Which wouldn't be a bad thing because that would give the Rams three years of high draft picks (Carriker, this year, next year) who could make an impact in 09.

We better hurry though, the Mayan Calender is running out.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    As of now, my guess for this season is 6-10. Max is 8-8. No more than a .500 season.

Hey, at least it's improvement.
    :1:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Banks View Post
    Hey, at least it's improvement.
    That is true. If its .500 and above, Linehan stays. If it's .500 after a 3-13 season, I believe Linehan deserves to stay. From there, lets hope we only get better.

We're a franchise that was a high status team, now we're a low status team. Similar to the Dolphins and Niners.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I also expected a little more action this FA. Al Saunders was a huge addition as well as Bell, but I would have liked to see the front office persue a few solid veterans at center and cornerback. However, we have basicaly the same team that we had last year and everyone was expecting us to go 8-8 or better. We now have the number two pick in the draft and a chance to trade down AND there's still always the possability to pick up another FA in the second round of cuts. Let's face it, the NFC is west is a joke, making the playoffs this year is hardly unrealistic.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -03-18-2008 at 06:08 PM.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Who is in charge of FA and the draft and why do they pay these guys. If they cann't get creative what good are they. I meen take FA. Any trained monkey knows we need OL help, we lost a kicker, Def,count the # of sacks, 3-13 etc. Almost any move could fill a hole. And the moves so far have done just that. (Bell a little up grade)But we should not want to just fill a hole. We should be trying to do something to change us into a 13-3 team. I feel that the same thing will happen in the draft. 2nd pick of the draft let the monkey pull one of four names out of a hat and it's a safe pick. Now I don't have the answers, that is why I go to my job each day and they go to theirs. I just want to see something more from them, then taking whatever falls into their lap because it could just be crap thrown away by some other monkey.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll make this short and sweet, and I understand that the two teams are on opposite sides of the spectrum, but the Colts never do anything in free agency because they know that free agency is just a stop gap measure for the most part. Did the whiners do anything with their high priced binge last year? No, they regressed.

I'm happy with the signings that we've made and I agree, we could have made more, I would still like to see us sign a strong side outside linebacker, as that is the only position that really has any quality to it. I'm willing to give Culberson a chance I suppose, but even so, I think it would still be in our interest in getting some veteran depth there as it won't be a high pick this year. That could wait till after the draft though.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm still waiting for the big free agent moves that couldn't be made unless Bruce was cut.

Also, the 'Niners' record regressed but their defense got better. They went from 32nd in points allowed to 20th. That's a pretty good jump in one season.

I'm also not sure that teams like the Colts choose to avoid free agency, they just don't have the cap room to realistically go after any big names/high priced players.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'll make this short and sweet, and I understand that the two teams are on opposite sides of the spectrum, but the Colts never do anything in free agency because they know that free agency is just a stop gap measure for the most part. Did the whiners do anything with their high priced binge last year? No, they regressed.

I'm happy with the signings that we've made and I agree, we could have made more, I would still like to see us sign a strong side outside linebacker, as that is the only position that really has any quality to it. I'm willing to give Culberson a chance I suppose, but even so, I think it would still be in our interest in getting some veteran depth there as it won't be a high pick this year. That could wait till after the draft though.

Two reasons why you shouldn't compare the Colts to the Rams in FA. One, they resign the best players on their roster even DEFENSE, not just offense. Two, Peyton/Harrison's contracts alone prohibit much spending.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The Colts are currently $7.5 M (roughly) under the cap. A little wiggle room, but not much.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

Other than overspending on Faneca or Samuel, who would the Colts have gone after that would improve their team?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Other than overspending on Faneca or Samuel, who would the Colts have gone after that would improve their team?
    They don't have the glaring needs we do, but they could have used Jacob Bell for one. As well, Lance Briggs (big money) or Vic Hobson (little money) would have been nice for the Colts as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
  2. -03-17-2008, 11:54 PM