throwback week

RamsFan16 Guest

[STL PD]Bulger gets acquainted with Linehan, offense

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...A?OpenDocument

Bulger gets acquainted with Linehan, offense
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/16/2006

Rams QB Marc Bulger on his shoulder: "I'm able to do everything. I'm doing some stretching, and there's no flexibility issues."

Marc Bulger has spoken with Scott Linehan on the phone since Linehan was hired as Rams head coach four weeks ago. On Thursday, Bulger got to match a name with a face at Rams Park. Actually, he did that several times over.

Bulger met Linehan for the first time, as well as most members of Linehan's staff. He came away with a favorable first impression.

"I'm sure they're going to be demanding and want things right, but it wasn't like I was up there talking to the Wizard of Oz," Bulger said. "They talk to you like a normal person. Respectful. I think it's going to be a good working relationship."

Bulger spent most of his time Thursday with Linehan, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier.

Linehan is just beginning to put together his Rams playbook, so Bulger is getting in on the ground floor.

"We were talking about simple things, like how we want our cadence," Bulger said. "And obviously, he's talking to me, and Marshall (Faulk) was even up there for a while."

Bulger was impressed with the fact that Linehan is actively seeking his input as he installs the offense.

"It wasn't to the point up there where he was like, 'This is my stuff, and we're sticking to it,'" Bulger said. "Which could happen. I'm sure it happens more often than not. He's real open to: 'What did you guys call this? What did you call that?' There's some give-and-take.

"Everyone's been talking about how he has his ego in check, and to be able to play the give-and-take game with the players, I think we'll respond to that very well."

Among other things, Bulger came away from the meeting with the impression that the Rams will do more things out of the shotgun formation, and be more committed to running the football.

"But it's going to be quarterback-friendly," Bulger said. "And it's going to be aggressive . . . and down the field. It looks exciting."

One of the earliest tasks is to agree on terminology - the language of calling plays and even discussing the offense. Under Mike Martz, the Rams' play-calling system flowed from a three-digit system first used by coaching great Don Coryell. Linehan's play-calling system will rely on concepts - or names - more than a numbering system.

So there will be an adjustment process, but it won't be a radical change. It's a different language to be sure, but Bulger likened it to going from Italian to Spanish.

"In other words, a lot more similarities than it would be going from Chinese to English," he said. "There's going to be a lot of similarities. It helped me a lot learning a system as complicated as our (old) system was. We've done everything in the book here. . . . With a couple of months here in the spring, I think we'll get a pretty good grasp of it."

Following Thursday's meeting, Bulger is taking some vacation time, but he will return to St. Louis for the start of the offseason conditioning program March 20. Other than the traditional lifting and running, Bulger expects to spend a lot more time in the meeting room this spring learning the offense.

"So my days might be longer, but I plan on being here and doing whatever it takes just to get a firm grasp of it," he said.

Meanwhile, Bulger says his injured throwing shoulder is coming along fine.

"I'm able to do everything," Bulger said. "I'm doing some stretching, and there's no flexibility issues. I'm going to (start) weight training in about three weeks."

He plans to start throwing in the next week or two, much earlier than he did a year ago.

"I could throw right now," Bulger said. "But it's one thing throwing; another to take a hit. So I just want to fully tighten (the shoulder) back up and heal.

"I'm going to take a ball on vacation with me, and just warm up. And when I get back, I'm going to start throwing to receivers maybe, just to get back into things.."

Last year, he didn't start throwing in earnest until May.

Following a 2005 Rams season that was tumultuous on several fronts, Bulger is looking forward to an '06 campaign that is free from soap operas.

"There were definitely issues the last couple years," Bulger said. "I just don't think (Linehan) is going to allow that. I'm sure Mr. (John) Shaw made that very clear in hiring him.

"I learned everything I know in the NFL from Coach Martz. But he's getting a new start. I'm getting a new start. Our team is. The whole building. It should be a little bit different atmosphere around here. I think it's going to be good for everyone."

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: [STL PD]Bulger gets acquainted with Linehan, offense

Among other things, Bulger came away from the meeting with the impression that the Rams will do more things out of the shotgun formation, and be more committed to running the football.

"But it's going to be quarterback-friendly," Bulger said. "And it's going to be aggressive . . . and down the field. It looks exciting."
    I never did understand why Martz didn't utilize the shotgun more. I would think at the least it would have cut down on the number of big hits our QBs have taken over the years. It's not like he was fooling anyone with lining the QB up under center. Everyone knew the ball was going in the air more often than not.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

sbramfan Guest

Re: [STL PD]Bulger gets acquainted with Linehan, offense

Funny Yo, that's exactly the 2 sentences I was going to paste and address.

On some of the timing routes, I can see how you want the 3 step drop so that you can go bing, bang, boom and release and it works.

But why not go to the shotgun more often? Why go backwards for the first couple seconds of the play when you could just stand there and watch it develop???

Only concern I might have is with Bulger. Someone like Culpepper or Warner, I can picture standing there and throwing, but Bulger may need more of the weight transfer to really get into his throws. A bit concerned this could lead to more INT's...but I am definitely a fan of the shotgun.

Also, sounds like Marshall has an interest in hearing all this...I think this is a good sign.