LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Story Indicating Ram's Aiming Low Selecting New Coach

8. St. Louis Rams: The best of the “B” list

With a team that could soon be sold, the last thing the Rams want to do is impede the potential transaction by signing a big-name coach to a big-money contract that the new owner might regard as a big-time problem.

So they’re aiming low and it’s evidenced by the Rams’ decision not to pursue Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, based on the perception that they won’t be able to compete with other teams for his services.

Thus, in addition to interim coach Jim Haslett, the list is made up of names from the second cut of candidates, with guys like Winston Moss, Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan, Ray Sherman, Todd Bowles, Jim Fassel (yes, Jim Fassel) and Jim Schwartz in the running.

With the players wanting Haslett, and given his past success with the Saints, he’s the best name on the team’s current “B” list.

10-Pack: Jump on the NFL coaching carousel - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Looks like another disappointing season on the horizon...

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Story Indicating Ram's Aiming Low Selecting New Coach

Reading that moronic blurb and your overreacting comment has actually lowered my I.Q.

I'm going to go read a few passages of Sophocles now. Hopefully that will heal the damage caused to my brain.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    8. St. Louis Rams: The best of the “B” list

With a team that could soon be sold, the last thing the Rams want to do is impede the potential transaction by signing a big-name coach to a big-money contract that the new owner might regard as a big-time problem.

So they’re aiming low and it’s evidenced by the Rams’ decision not to pursue Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, based on the perception that they won’t be able to compete with other teams for his services.

Thus, in addition to interim coach Jim Haslett, the list is made up of names from the second cut of candidates, with guys like Winston Moss, Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan, Ray Sherman, Todd Bowles, Jim Fassel (yes, Jim Fassel) and Jim Schwartz in the running.

With the players wanting Haslett, and given his past success with the Saints, he’s the best name on the team’s current “B” list.

10-Pack: Jump on the NFL coaching carousel - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Looks like another disappointing season on the horizon...
    Rex, Ryan, Leslie Frazier and Jim Schwartz are hardly "B" list candidates. Look at the other teams lining them up for interviews. Not pursuing Spagnuola is hardly a money thing so much as a likelihood issue. Why waste time talking with someone you know is not interested in coming to St. Louis?

The fact that Devaney has enlisted the help of Bobby Beathard and others tells me that they are being smart about this and not following the crowd. As much as I like Mike Shanahan, I don't see them going after him either because he's the "wrong" person for the job, same for Bill Cowher, who today said he's not coming back to coach next year regardless.

I disagree with that position totally.

Go Rams!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Amen, mde. Yes, a big money investment that doesn't work could lead to issues with the new owner, but as I've said in other posts, if the coach works and is successful, it doesn't matter what his contract is, he'll be retained.

More to the point, this is Devaney's chance to name a guy of his choosing to resurrect the Rams. For the good of his own career, he's going to pick the best man for the job, and he has Chip's public statement that money isn't an issue. Now, if Devaney can pull off a winning coach and not spend a lot of cash, he's a hero. I believe he's doing his job, why wouldn't he be?

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Well, at least if we aim low, we won't be dissapointed.

Thanks Rams. It's been a fun demise.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would rather have us bring in Frazier, Schwartz or Ryan, instead of Shanahan, Cowher, or some other big name coaches.

I don't agree with some of the candidates, (Sherman, Bowles.) I mean seriously? secondarys coach for the Dolphins? Wide Recievers coach for the Cowboys?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Reading that moronic blurb and your overreacting comment has actually lowered my I.Q.

I'm going to go read a few passages of Sophocles now. Hopefully that will heal the damage caused to my brain.
    someone didn't take their prozac this morning.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I don't agree with some of the candidates, (Sherman, Bowles.) I mean seriously? secondarys coach for the Dolphins? Wide Recievers coach for the Cowboys?
    My thoughts when I see some of these types being named is OC and DC. I believe that if your offering an advancement in position to another teams coaching personel, they have to let you interview them. Every interview doesn't have to be for a head coach position. I could be wrong though. Still, I see this and instinctively think Hastlett HC, Bowles OC & Sherman DC. I also see this happening due to Hastlett being the "bird in hand". Even if he's a bit of a stinky bird. Get some interviews done, interview a minority to satisfy the league, keep the guy you have and bring in new blood at the Coordinator positions just in case.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -01-05-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Who are the members of the committee who decide who is on the "A List", and where can I get a copy?

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I don't agree with some of the candidates, (Sherman, Bowles.)
    Hopefully these are just coordinator interviews.

I Think they are doing the right thing by passing on those names who u know dont wana be here. The only one i would really want is probably cowher. But Frazier, Ryan, Schwatrz, and even Moss sound like they have been around the game and had some success. This almost looks like the linehan thing but theres no way they could screw it up that bad again. Or can they?

I also like Jim fassel. Hes an older name but he seeems very eager to come back. He's the only one that has actually been around in the head coach game. He had some screwups(Baltimore) b ut he seems very eager to get back n show what he can do.

maineram is offline Registered User

Selecting candidates for Haslett's staff is correct.

Think about it for a minute. Team being sold, new owner will want thier own people, keeping Haslett on for two years until the new owner digs themselve in, interviewing for our new OC & DC for the big shake up in staff.

Why would Denavey promote Haslett this past season instead of someone on staff that would never be retained ?? He was even given the label Head Coach, but the leauge said no.

Plotting & planning for the future for the past 12 weeks, just to start over and scrap everything.

Makes me think !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Rex Ryan, Leslie Frazier and Jim Schwartz are hardly "B" list candidates. Look at the other teams lining them up for interviews.
    With Cowher and Shanahan potentially sitting out 2009, I'd think those three plus Spagnuolo would rank at or near the top of any team's list of potential candidates. We do have a lot of relative unknowns on the list, too, but I'm interpretting that as an effort at thoroughness as long as we're interviewing the big names as well as the small.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So let's do a recap.

2007 RAMS 3-13

2008 RAMS 2-14

Yeah, let's call Marinelli and see if we can get to 0-16!!!