RamWraith is offline Registered User

Stress of 0-4 is showing on Linehan

By Bill Coats
    09/30/2007 7:29 pm

IRVING, Texas — To say that coach Scott Linehan is exasperated over the Rams’ 0-4 start would be a monstrous understatement. Normally restrained and unflustered, Linehan bit off his words during a moderately contentious session with reporters after Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Cowboys. Some excerpts:

>>On the solution to ending the losing streak: “If you guys had five hours, I’d give you a whole bunch of excuses I could go with. We’re aren’t going to go there. If I had a solution, I wouldn’t be talking about what I’m talking about right now. That’s why we work every day and every night. We’re looking for a solution. What do you want me to say? Do you want me to tell you what the problems are? You guys already know them. We haven’t scored, we haven’t executed, we played very poorly on offense.”

>>On a third-quarter Marc Bulger interception in the end zone: “I don’t know if he saw (Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin). I don’t know what happened.”

>>On replacing Bulger with Gus Frerotte on the next series: “We just made a change there, give Gus a chance to come in and get some time and change the game a little bit. It was nothing major; we’re back to square one starting” Monday.

Bulger said he wasn’t upset when Linehan replaced him with Frerotte. In fact, Bulger said he agreed with the logic behind the move.

“If (Linehan) says we need a spark to help the team win, then that’s what I want to do,” he said. “If I look like an idiot because of that pick in the end zone, then put it on me. I’m just trying to win. I’ll do whatever it takes for the Rams to win. If (Linehan) feels like we need something to get going, then I’m on board. I’ll do anything to get our offense going.

Rookie running back Brian Leonard picked up 58 yards on 16 carries in his first start in place of injured Steven Jackson (groin). “I made some rookie mistakes,” Leonard said. “I’ve got to go back and look at film and get coached up on it. As a whole, I think I did all right. But it wasn’t enough to win, so it’s nothing.”

Notes & quotes:

>>The Rams’ offense has gone 31 series without scoring a touchdown. The drought dates to the first quarter of the San Francisco game Sept. 16.

>>After a 21-0 blitz Sunday, the Rams have been outscored 72-9 in the second half.

>> Remember all the hoopla over the offseason acquisitions of WR Drew Bennett and TE Randy McMichael? In four games, they’ve combined for 15 catches, 163 yards and zero touchdowns.

>>SS Corey Chavous had a team-high seven tackles (press box stats), including the Rams’ lone sack.

>>Dante Hall’s 85-yard sprint to the end zone marked the Rams’ first punt return for a TD since Dre Bly went 78 yards vs. Arizona on Dec. 15, 2002.

>>Veteran DT La’Roi Glover: “It’s really frustrating. It’s the kind of loss that can tear a team apart or draw out the leaders.”

>>After a sluggish start, Cowboys QB Tony Romo – the pride of Eastern Illinois University – finished with 21 completions on 33 pass attempts, 339 yards, three touchdowns and a sterling passer rating of 115.6. He also ran three times for 24 yards, including a 15-yard TD.

>>WR Terrell Owens was relatively quiet – three receptions for 33 yards.

>>In running up 502 yards – the most in the Linehan/Haslett “era” - the Cowboys averaged 7.5 yards per play. The Rams’ average was a meager 3.5 yards.

All for now. . .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Stress of 0-4 is showing on Linehan

You can see some bits from Linehan's press conference here...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...2007&week=REG4

Click on the fourth video on the row below the main video screen. Coats nailed the description: he does look pretty exasperated.

Bulger said he wasn’t upset when Linehan replaced him with Frerotte. In fact, Bulger said he agreed with the logic behind the move.

“If (Linehan) says we need a spark to help the team win, then that’s what I want to do,” he said. “If I look like an idiot because of that pick in the end zone, then put it on me. I’m just trying to win. I’ll do whatever it takes for the Rams to win. If (Linehan) feels like we need something to get going, then I’m on board. I’ll do anything to get our offense going.
    And to think I've heard people (here and elsewhere) question this guy's heart and dedication.

SS Corey Chavous had a team-high seven tackles (press box stats), including the Rams’ lone sack.
    For as much legitimate criticism as Chavous has taken this season, I recall that sack and him breaking up a touchdown pass in the endzone. It would seem he had a pretty good game, but I wasn't watching with a microscope so maybe I missed something.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day ;-0

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For as much legitimate criticism as Chavous has taken this season, I recall that sack and him breaking up a touchdown pass in the endzone. It would seem he had a pretty good game, but I wasn't watching with a microscope so maybe I missed something.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day ;-0
    Touché, touché. But I just think he should be praised when he has a good day, since he's certainly criticized every time he has a poor one.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

blood85 is offline Registered User

I'd be stressed too if my team sucked as they do now and my current employment could be in jeopardy.

RealRam is offline Registered User

In the Chat Room today I mentioned toward the end that Coach SL's body language was starting to reflect what this article is talking about: stress, frustration, etc.

I saw that in him last week during the press conference as well.

It's normal of course, to react that way, to get on the defensive. [Sometimes I wonder if it is tougher to face the media after losing like we are ... tougher than the actual battle on the gridiron. But it is one of the items of the job description. SL. Mike Ditka. Bill Parcels. Dennis Green. Et al.]

I'm sure SL feels responsible and hopefully, hopefully ... he will find a way to win. I look forward to seeing Frerotte more next week. Maybe the entire game?

helorm341 is offline Registered User

At a couple points during the game I thought Linehan was going to go into screaming mode again. He also looked like his eyes were almost teared up after the game, not what you want ot see in an nfl coach. If you cant take the heat get outta the kitchen

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

hey at least we are not the only team that has the village idiot for a coach, how come Andy Reid allowed his tackle to get beat time and time again last night and not give him any help, the guy gave up 6 sacks and Reid stands there on the sidelines with no expression at all,do you think these coaches are listening to music on the headsets and forget where they are ?

Truth is offline Registered User

Touché, touché. But I just think he should be praised when he has a good day, since he's certainly criticized every time he has a poor one.
    He made some good plays. However, he whiffed his share of tackles as well. He did better.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree. He has had a couple of bad games, but he made more noteworthy plays than anyone else on Sunday.