RamWraith is offline Registered User

Struggles prove value of Bulger, Martz says

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, Dec. 20 2004

Two weeks ago the Rams were 6-6 and in control in the NFC West. Now they're 6-8
    and a game behind Seattle, with two weeks left in the regular season. What
    changed?

Most notably, the quarterback position, coach Mike Martz emphasized Monday, a
    day after the Rams were smothered 31-7 in Arizona. Had starter Marc Bulger
    remained healthy instead of missing the last two outings with a bruised
    throwing shoulder, the Rams' situation might be significantly different, Martz
    indicated.

"Obviously, you can see the difference. How much of a difference would he have
    made at Carolina? It's all the difference in the world," Martz said. "I think
    he's one of the elite in the league. I've been saying that for a long time. Now
    that he was out of the picture, I think everybody can appreciate how good he
    really is. And how stymied we become in a lot of areas without him."

Stymied, indeed. The once-powerful Rams offense produced one touchdown in a
    20-7 loss to Carolina, then was stopped cold by the Cardinals. A 61-yard fumble
    return by defensive end Leonard Little provided the Rams' only points.

Some 111 games had passed since a 14-0 loss to Miami on Oct. 18, 1998, the last
    time the Rams offense failed to score.

Bulger, who is expected to play Monday night against Philadelphia, was leading
    the NFL in passing yardage before he was hurt in the first quarter Dec. 5
    against San Francisco. Chris Chandler replaced him, and the Rams went on to a
    16-6 win.

But Chandler, 39, tossed six interceptions in a woeful showing at Carolina,
    then was pulled after a grisly first quarter at Sun Devil Stadium. His future
    with the team is unclear; Martz said that Jamie Martin "more than likely" would
    back up Bulger vs. the Eagles. That presumably would leave rookie Jeff Smoker
    as the No. 3 quarterback, and Chandler, a 17-year veteran, perhaps unemployed.

Martin, a 10-year journeyman who hadn't appeared in a regular-season game in
    two years, completed 16 of 31 passes for 188 yards, without an interception
    Sunday and earned effusive praise from Martz.

The Rams had 185 yards on offense, their lowest total of the season. Bulger's
    presence, Martz insisted, might have changed that.

"He gets the ball so quickly out of there under duress and pressure that you
    don't really realize it," Martz said. "There may have been a breakdown in
    protection, but he still completes the ball. Those kinds of things, you just
    don't really completely comprehend or appreciate until he's not in there."

Davis provoked Polley, Martz says

According to Martz, the set-to that led to linebacker Tommy Polley's ejection
    early in the fourth quarter began when Cardinals defensive tackle Russell
    Davis, standing along the sideline, spit at Polley. Polley was tossed after
    clubbing the helmet-less Davis on the head.

"Tommy, as a natural reaction when somebody spits in your face, he went after
    him," Martz said. "I talked to him about it."

Polley hasn't spoken with reporters this season.

After the game, Davis shrugged off the episode. "It was just two guys jawing
    back and forth and getting a little frustrated," he said.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Struggles prove value of Bulger, Martz says

Ugh. If Martz thinks the qb position is what's at issue with the Rams' mediocrity then he really does need to be axed.

We get it Mike. You're madly in love with Bulger.

so what your saying is its OK for Martz to talk, but when asked about Bulger he is expected to say nothing ............................ Ah, now I am getting a flavour of what some fans expect.

For pity sake, let the man talk, for better or worse do you have to criticise every little thing he does? We all know ytou hate him and Bulger, no need to keep reinforcing it is there?

atcchris is offline Registered User

For pity sake, let the man talk, for better or worse do you have to criticise every little thing he does? We all know ytou hate him and Bulger, no need to keep reinforcing it is there?
    Perhaps you don't understand that many of us believe that Martz is driven by his ego, a particular kind of ego called Hubris. Maybe I haven't used that word enough lately.. so I figure I should point that out.

Given that we believe that, we assign motives for things. In THIS case, we believe (correct me if I'm wrong, mok) that Martz is making Bulger out to be a superhuman in order to JUSTIFY his moves regarding "him who shall not be named" particularly. It seems to me, at least, that Martz does that quite a bit.

Pretty much a SPIN DOCTOR, if you want to look at it in political terms.

One does not have to HATE Bulger in order to get tired of Martz trying to rationalize and justify his actions. One DOES have to have a low opinion of Martz and believe he has an ego which is being fatal to the team.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think he's one of the elite in the league. I've been saying that for a long time.
    I don't mind Martz talking if he's going to address how to fix the team(which I think is beyond Martz at this point) but where in the hell did that quote come from? If Bulger's not in, the Rams can't win (hey, that rhymes)? What happened to having Warner backing up Green and Green backing up Warner and Bulger backing up Warner and Warner backing up Bulger? No matter the combination we had a suitable qb to replace the starter.

Now, it's all about Bulger. Period. No Faulk, no defense, no special teams, just Bulger. And that's okay if you're a fan, but from the head coach?!? Of all the things he could be talking about in regards to how or what the Rams could have done to win the last two games all he can come up with is "if Bulger would have been playing...". What about the guys who actually were playing? Would Jackson been in the game if Bulger had played. If so, why then and not when we needed him?

Okay, I'll stop. There's just too much wrong with this article to break it all down. But to claim that I'm persecuting Martz for speaking is a little off base. It's what comes out of his mouth, not opening it, that I have a problem with.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Two weeks ago the Rams were 6-6 and in control in the NFC West
    is that the funniest thing you've ever heard? I almost couldn't read the rest of the article after reading that line. - LOL.

I agree they could have beat Carolina if Chandalier didn't single handedly destroy that game, but this love fest with Bulger is a little too much drama given that in a normal season their 6-6 record would be attrocious.

and at 6-8, Martz is like "gee, this Bulger kid is good compared to the old sock".

Too bad he can't see that even if his superhero QB was in the game, AZ was scoring at will.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Too bad he can't see that even if his superhero QB was in the game, AZ was scoring at will.
    Very true, although perhaps with Bulger in there, the Rams would have had a better chance of keeping up.

Still, Bulger's not at the elite level. The only QB I really consider elite right now is Peyton Manning.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!