RamWraith is offline Registered User

Student gets to spend quality time with his larger-than-life inspiration

Mike Quirion, 12, the winner of the NFL and American Heart Association 'Workout With a Player' contest listens as St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson speaks to his fellow classmates.
    St. Louis Rams Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson brought the excitement of the National Football League to Waterloo Junior High School on Monday.

The star came to talk to eighth-graders, specifically to Mike Quirion, 12, the winner of the NFL and American Heart Association Workout With a Player contest.

The eighth-grader and the Pro Bowler talked together for several minutes before they went to the school gym to talk to about 200 other eighth-graders and show off some workout tips.

Besides his fellow students, Mike drew a crowd of reporters and cameramen. Jackson told him to get used to the media attention and the fame.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Jackson asked. "You're going to get one after today."

Mike was chosen from a national drawing of people who registered with www.whatmovesyou.com, a Web site that offers games and quizzes and awards points for physical activities at home and in the classroom.

Jackson said he was probably as pleased as Mike was to be chosen.

"He could have chosen any player in the NFL. He chose me," Jackson told the crowd. "That makes me proud."

He commended Mike for his physical commitment.

"Mike lost 20 pounds this year," Jackson said. "He's working to be a running back, linebacker or wide receiver."

Mike said he made a conscious effort to eat healthy and played sports to help lose the weight, particularly workouts for football.

Then he and Jackson demonstrated a few workout drills that the Rams use, including stretching, jogging and wind sprints.

Jackson also emphasized the importance of a healthy diet, repeating his Mom's advice that a colorful plate of food is a healthy plate

Jackson applauded the straight A students in the crowd, stressing that academics are always as important as athletics.

When a football player in the crowd mentioned that he wouldn't be going on vacation this summer because of football workouts, Jackson laughed.

"I know your pain," he said.

In answer to questions, he described the Monday after games as feeling like you had been hitting a brick wall time after time after time and called getting drafted one of the proudest moments of his life.

Jackson was wearing a white Rams jersey and brought along an autographed dark blue Rams jersey for Mike.

"I'm going to have it framed," Mike said when advised it probably was worth a lot of money. "I'll never sell it."

He said Jackson offered a lot of advice while they were talking.

"He said to keep your head up, don't quit and make a good impression on people," Mike said. "It was great. Awesome."

"Could you tackle him?" a reporter asked Mike.

"Yeah," Mike said.

"Notice how he had no hesitation there," Jackson said, laughing.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Student gets to spend quality time with his larger-than-life inspiration

Jackson is a great guy, im really glad we have a team with guys like him and Torry Holt on it, guys that are real inspirations to youngsters

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a wonderful story. Thanks for finding that one, Wraith. I know a lot of fans had concerns for Jackson's maturity early on, but I'd say he's grown a lot since being drafted.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This article should be posted on every locker in the Bengals locker room.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This article should be posted on every locker in the Bengals locker room.

Can't do that, your not allowed to post things up in jail!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Wow, good for young Mike! What an experience that must have been, one he will cherish forever.

I'm proud for this youngster but also for Jax. Nice deed. Good man. :r

Two thumbs up. Thanks Wraith.