Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Stull: Spotlight Turns to Alexander

Spotlight Turns to Alexander
    by Brian Stull
    Updated 25 Min ago

Following the Rams practice on Wednesday, it was more than just media who gathered at the locker of Danario Alexander--several teammates circled around to raz the newly activated wide receiver with whistling and catcalls of "Spot-Light" and "$36,000"--his reported signing bonus.

The attention clearly caused some embarassment for the rookie, but the good-natured ribbing failed to quell Alexander's enthusiasm at finally being moved up to the 53-man roster.

"Yeah, I'm very excited. I'm looking forward to the opportunity ahead and very ready to make plays," shared Danario. "I was kind of anticipating it coming some time soon, but they tried to keep me back to get me healthy and they (the Rams) did a good job with that, so it's a pretty big deal."

As for the surgically repaired knee and surrounding leg muscles, Alexander has no hesitation. "Very confident. I've been working hard every day in practice and getting stronger in the weight room."

The weekly schedule of lifting four days and getting treatment on five has paid off, as Danario also shared his left quadriceps has just about caught up to the right one in size.

That had led to some of the caution from the Rams, wanting to be sure the atrophied muscles had bounced back and would be able to sustain a hit. However, that is something Alexander has still yet to experience.

"Nah, probably my first hit will be Sunday," anticipated Danario, "You know, I haven't played in a football game since my last college game--that was last December. I'm ready for it."

"Hard to tell," commented Steve Spagnuolo. "Today's Wednesday. We'll go in and look at the film. I don't even know exactly how many reps he took with the first group. He's still getting some reps in the look squad just to keep him oiled up. It's kind of early to decide any of that."

Spags also acknowledged that because practice squad players don't get a lot of "Rams" reps, there is some catching up Alexander will need to do.

Danario says there won't be any issue with him knowing where to line up and what routes to run ."Oh yeah, for sure. I've been studying my playbook since day one."

"The bits that I've gotten to watch him when he was on scout team the past couple weeks, he's made some spectacular catches, some great plays," said Sam Bradford.

"He's a big body, he's got a lot of speed, so I'm looking forward to getting him in the rotation and developing a chemistry with him."

How much and how soon, remains to be determined. Even Alexander wasn't sure of a realistic expectation for what he will contribute. "You know, I'm not really sure. I want to get out and do what I can for the team. Whatever they need me to do--as far as special teams or catching the ball."

RAMdom Notes:

-Tight ends Billy Bajema and Michael Hoomawananui returned to about an "80%" workload in practice, with how they feel tomorrow being key in their returns.

After suffering a concussion in the 4th quarter against Detroit, Jacob Bell was very limited in practice today. "We're optimistic he's going to be OK." shared Spags. "You go through this whole 'stages' and today was the one day he had to stay out non-contact."

Both Kenneth Darby and David Vobora were limited.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Stull: Spotlight Turns to Alexander

I'm hoping we will have Hoomanawanui and Alexander in the game on Sunday. They will be invaluable.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I'm hoping we will have Hoomanawanui and Alexander in the game on Sunday. They will be invaluable.
    I have my doubts that Alexander will be active just yet, but you never know.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

On the 53? Yes.

On the 45? I'd be surprised.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

D.A., young man, I've been rooting for you since before the Rams made up their mind about bringing you in. Now it is your time to get in there and play in the NFL. Try your best but don't over do it; listen to your coaches (I know you know all this).

Best wishes to you rookie Ram. Stay healthy and alert. Get your heart into it.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I hope he starts our receivers suck, except amendola.