Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By VegasRam
  • 2 Post By berg8309

Thread: Suddely Bradford doesn't look so expensive.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Suddely Bradford doesn't look so expensive.

And he is, (and will be even more so) worth it. Romo is GUARANTEED roughly $10M a year.

When you look at the Super high paid QB - Brees, Manning, Brady, Romo, Flacco, Rothlesberger, Bradford makes roughly half of their salaries, let's say $10M, and plays half as well. (Don't pick on my numbers - they're for rough comparison numbers only).

But it's not like we're paying Flynn or Kolb or Palmer or Cassell $10m a year not to play.
    And just about the time the Rams are extending Bradford - I hope during or at the end of this year, (assuming obviously it's warranted) - for a 10 year average of say $12-14M a year, SF and Seattle will be giving Kap and Wilson 6 year $80M guaranteed contracts.

Bradford suffers from cashing in undeservedly in a faulty system, without performing in line with his salary, and while not his fault, it still leaves a justfiably bad taste in everyone's mouth. The killer for the Rams is they got hit three years in a row, which they are still recovering from.

Bottom line, there will come a day soon when Bradford will be considered a bargain.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Suddely Bradford doesn't look so expensive.

I agree, nice post.

Bradford suffered from going to the worst team in any five year stretch in history. I agree, I would like to lock Bradford up next year for another six years, give him a four year extension at a more favorable cap rate. Continue to add player makers and upgrade the roster through the draft and we will be set. When Bradford is 30 if he is elite then you can give him a huge contract, but the next one he gets needs to be a bargain rate so we can continue to add talent.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I agree as well, price and value are two different things.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I agree as well, price and value are two different things.
    I found your comparison very interesting, until it lead to a suggestion that we lock-up Bradford, which I assumed meant before the end of next season. If that assumption is incorrect and we're looking at considering a move regarding Bradford at the end of the 2013 season, then there's time to evaluate his pe'rformance during the season and that seems reasonable. If there's a suggestion to lock-him up before the end of the 2013 season I really don't understand the logic.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would have no issues locking him up during the season. I read these numbers below and I was kind of surprised that he has kept pace will all the elite QBs. Looking at the offensive line that we have even before the draft, it has to be the best line he has played behind. Second year in the same scheme, will help as well. I don't see him regressing this year, even with the young skilled players around him.

By Steven Gerwel

Bradford has 42 career starts in the NFL. Let's compare that to the first 42 regular-season starts of some other well-known quarterbacks:

Bradford: 45 TD, 34 INT, 9.378 Yards

Drew Brees: 45 TD, 38 INT, 8,551 Yards

Tom Brady: 61 TD, 38 INT, 9,448 Yards

Ben Roethlisberger: 54 TD, 41 INT, 8,504 Yards

Matt Ryan: 59 TD, 32 INT, 9,276 Yards

Eli Manning: 60 TD, 48 INT, 8,738 Yards

Joe Flacco: 51 TD, 31 INT, 9,017 Yards
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Torry Holt likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    I found your comparison very interesting, until it lead to a suggestion that we lock-up Bradford, which I assumed meant before the end of next season. If that assumption is incorrect and we're looking at considering a move regarding Bradford at the end of the 2013 season, then there's time to evaluate his pe'rformance during the season and that seems reasonable. If there's a suggestion to lock-him up before the end of the 2013 season I really don't understand the logic.
    Do you actually ever read the posts that you comment on? (Or maybe quote the post you're replying to?) Anyway...

It was an either or comment, but the logic, (or my thought) was that by games 9-12, the Rams management would probably have decided if Bradford was a keeper or not, having given his support time to gel, if you will.
    If so, then why not sart negotiating? (As I believe they did with Long and Laurinitus).
    As long as these negotiations usually take, might be advatageous to have him extended prior to next year's draft.
    Rambos likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Thing is considering Bradford's numbers being on a team that has come up short for so many years, its scary to think what he might be worth when his contract is up

Fortunately I don't think we would pull a Carson Palmer on the Rams. Still it can get rather pricey. Eventhoug Jerry Jones made one of the biggest boneheaded move with the Romo deal, he is willing to throw money around. So considering other teams might have loose purse strings, especially in order to land a top level QB, perhaps this season or next the Rams may wanta take a look at locking up Bradford and/or seeing who is coming through the college ranks.

But perhaps things are not that simple in the NFL. Perhaps the no name Wilsons (seagulls) are the wave of the NFL future...who knows

FestusRam is online now Registered User

A positive, and probably the only one, of paying the high amount of his current contract is that when we resign him to a new one, it wont change the cap situation much. We already have his cap space put aside , more or less. His new contract will most likely be cheaper than his current one, so we might even get some cap back after locking up our future quarterback. We wont have to drop off a lot of talent like we saw the Ravens do this offseason to keep Flacco happy.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Looking up Bradford's Salary the next couple years, I came across this article from December...

Will Sam Bradford's contract stunt the Rams' expected growth

The Rams are an improved team, based on what they did last year. Part of that improvement can be attributed to quarterback Sam Bradford. He has taken a step up in a number of areas including his deep ball, fourth quarter performance, smart scrambling, and his low turnover rate. He still has some issues including sideline throws, holding the ball a tad too long, and throwing uncatchable balls while not giving his receivers a chance.

Still, if you look at how Bradford compares to other quarterbacks around the league he is average. He is ranked between 15 and 23 in most passing categories, including 19th in completion percentage, 20th in QB rating and 24th in yards per attempt. His salary though is not average.
    Bradford is slated to make $9 million next year, $14 million the year after and $13 million in his last year while having an almost $16 million dollar cap number this year.
    This contract is not Sam's fault, but most people, myself included, are looking for him to be elite and raise the limited talent around him based on his salary and draft position and judging him based on that. He has done that to a small extent, but not enough for many Ram fans and not enough to justify his current and future salary.
    Can he continue to improve and become a top 10 Quarterback? Maybe but he is going to need some luck and for the team's draft picks to have a very high hit rate due to the ramifications of his large contract.
    Bradford needs some help to get to that top 10 level, he could probably use the following; Guard, Tackle, Pass Catching Tight End and possibly another Wide Receiver. With his salary that may be an impossible task for the Rams through free agency that it is not for many other teams who are getting top 10 production from Quarterbacks making from 1/4th to 1/18th of the salary that Bradford makes.
    The lower costs for quarterbacking assists those teams in building talent around their young stars. They can over pay in free agency with the "found" cap room. While at this point the Rams look to be out of it already for some popular names thrown around like Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, or Mike Wallace. As per Jim Thomas the Rams are looking at around $10 million in cap space and the draft picks will also come out of that pool of money. The Rams will need to hit at a very high percent of their draft picks and have to pray Brian Quick makes the jump as many other second- and third-round wide receivers have done in the past.
    This is very prevalent in the NFC West as the Rams two biggest rivals have very productive quarterbacks making less than $500K per year for the next three years.
    If Sam was a later round pick or had a much more reasonable contract, I think most fans would have a different view or expectation of the play of the Rams "franchise QB."
    Here are some young productive/affordable quarterback salaries for comparison over the next few years;

• Robert Griffin 3-, 2013: $1,349,959, 2014: $2,309,918, 2015: $3,269,877
    • Cam Newton- 2013: $2,377,318, 2014: $3,378,477
    • Andrew Luck - 2013: $1,394,909, 2014: $2,399,818, 2015: $3,404,727
    • Andy Dalton - 2013: $749,018 (+ $100,000 reporting bonus), 2014: $986,027 (+ $100,000 reporting bonus)
    • Russell Wilson- 2013: $526,217, 2014: $662,434, 2015: $798,651
    • Colin Kaepernick- 2013: $740,844, 2014: $973,766

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Comparing Bradford's salary to QBs drafted during the new CBA is a pointless exercise.

"If Sam was a later round pick" - He wasn't, and would not have been, not in his draft year.

"Or had a much more reasonable contract" Again, not possible, not with the way the CBA was structrued when he was drafted.

The players listed are not comparable to Bradford because the rules were different when he was drafted, in terms of salary. Feel like this has been beaten into bloody pulp but it keeps coming back up.
    VegasRam and gap like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I logic allowed when discussing Bradford, or his salary?

gap

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Comparing Bradford's salary to QBs drafted during the new CBA is a pointless exercise.

"If Sam was a later round pick" - He wasn't, and would not have been, not in his draft year.

"Or had a much more reasonable contract" Again, not possible, not with the way the CBA was structrued when he was drafted.

The players listed are not comparable to Bradford because the rules were different when he was drafted, in terms of salary. Feel like this has been beaten into bloody pulp but it keeps coming back up.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I logic allowed when discussing Bradford, or his salary?

gap
    Absolutely not! Just kidding, of course. I think it's fair to say Bradford is over-compensated compared to his level of production, but there was almost no way he could match his salary based upon what was required under the old system. It really put teams in a bind with high picks, forcing them to use all of their cap space on unproven players who most likely needed time to develop. However, it's silly to point at Russell Wilson and say "Well, look at how little he makes!" or even Andrew Luck or RGIII, different systems, their salaries aren't comparable.