Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A superb fit for Steven Jackson ..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: A superb fit for Steven Jackson ..

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    SJAX still has it. And we'll see it very soon. The man is a physical adonis. The reason he's dancing around trying to hit holes is because they are virtually non-existent.
    Thats absurd. As terrible as the offensive line was blocking this year, theres a reason SJAX had his best YPC since his rookie season. Plus, like I said, other guys like Caddy step in and they hit the hole low and real hard and get 5 yard gains where Steven wouldn't.

As perfect as you think he is, he isn't. Just accept it... Im as big a fan as the next guy, and I have 3 SJAX jerseys... But we cant keep pounding him 330 times a year..

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Agreed it is a superb fit. However Jackson is about to start going on the decline. This system with Jackson in his prime would have crushed the league, even if it was a passing league. The good thing about SJ is he still looks like a great runner at his age, we might still have 2 great years left from him.

By the way that is one of the most underrated things about SJ. He has already had a long non-major-injury shelf life for a RB. If he gives us 2 more full seasons. Thats a shelf life that NO runningback provides these days.
    The Rams owe it to SJ39 if you ask me.? If their was ever a player who should be afforded a little extra time, to reach his goals, it this guy. I would never right the BEAST off, even though he is on his last legs now. Hopefully he will get the right help now.? This poor fella deserves it. Its been an absolute travesty what the Rams have done to this guy.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Jackson is a good player but a 1000 yds isnt the same thing it was 10 years ago.... And who cares if he has 7 1000yd seasons if he only gets 5 tds!
    1000 yards in last years offense, wasn't an easy task. Seven straight 1000 yard season's shouldn't be sniffed at either, even though their is a lack of TD's. Their is a reason only a few people have achieved this mark. We will all be lucky to see another SJ39 in our lifetimes, maybe you will come to realize this when he is gone.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-27-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

"..Not to take anything away from (former Rams coaches Steve) Spagnuolo or (Scott) Linehan, who were very good at what they did. They were very good play callers on offense and defence..."

What . . .?!?!?!?!

If SJ is talking like this, then the dude is obviously done. Too many hits to the head!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Jackson is a good player but a 1000 yds isnt the same thing it was 10 years ago.... And who cares if he has 7 1000yd seasons if he only gets 5 tds!
    that might have something to do with having a IDIOT offensive cordinator that has 9 plays at the 2 yard line and many at the half yard line and he passes 8 of the 9 plays. Then after jackson rips his arse on the field he gives em the ball and guess what? TD... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    1000 yards in last years offense, wasn't an easy task. Seven straight 1000 yard season's shouldn't be sniffed at either, even though their is a lack of TD's. Their is a reason only a few people have achieved this mark. We will all be lucky to see another SJ39 in our lifetimes, maybe you will come to realize this when he is gone.?
    Amen brother Amen
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -01-28-2012 at 12:51 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    The Rams owe it to SJ39 if you ask me.? If their was ever a player who should be afforded a little extra time, to reach his goals, it this guy. I would never right the BEAST off, even though he is on his last legs now. Hopefully he will get the right help now.? This poor fella deserves it. Its been an absolute travesty what the Rams have done to this guy.
    This is how teams get into trouble, this is how Fisher's last team got into trouble. Remember how long he rode Eddie George until he had nothing? Rather than move on and pick up a new stallion, he rode and stayed with George too long and it cost him in the long run. We don't want to do that with SJ. He is NOT that guy anymore. He may look like an Idonis because of his incredible work ethic, but he reminds me of Muhammad Ali when he fought Larry Holmes. Ali trimmed up, got himself in great shape, even dyed his hair before he stepped into the ring with Holmes. He gave us all an image of the great Muhammad Ali, but it wasn't the real Ali. I wanted him to beat Holmes so bad, but within the first round you knew that Ali was just a shadow of himself and he was going to get beat. He just didn't have it anymore. No legs, no handspeed, nothing. All show and no go. That's SJ. He can give you a run every so often, but to be the workhorse? No.

The Rams owe SJ nothing. He got paid every year like any employee on the payroll, and now that run is almost over. It's all about the team, the horns, not about SJ. When it becomes about the one, and not the many, you're steering the ship in the wrong direction. It is a shame SJ had to endure so many bad teams, and I too wish he would have tasted a SB win, but that's sports. It's time for the Rams to start searching for the next SJ.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

It pains me to say this, but deep down in my heart of hearts, I do realize he is not the MAN anymore. But I honestly still believe he can do a good job, if he was to share the load with someone else.? Lets not write him off completely, just yet.? I think we can use him for one to two more years, maximum. This year being his final year as the featured back, with someone like Trent Richardson taking the starters role, for the season after this one.?
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit though, if Jackson proves me wrong. New era and all.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    but he reminds me of Muhammad Ali when he fought Larry Holmes. Ali trimmed up, got himself in great shape, even dyed his hair before he stepped into the ring with Holmes. He gave us all an image of the great Muhammad Ali, but it wasn't the real Ali. I wanted him to beat Holmes so bad, but within the first round you knew that Ali was just a shadow of himself and he was going to get beat. He just didn't have it anymore. No legs, no handspeed, nothing. All show and no go. That's SJ. He can give you a run every so often, but to be the workhorse? No.
    Still trying to respectfully disagree but this analogy is border line absurd.

Also you seemed a little focused on how he runs. This isn't figure skating or diving where people are judged for style. Analyze him anyway you want but he put up top ten running back numbers once again last year and he did it behind a terrible line and almost no threat of a passing game.

I wouldn't even care that much if you were just saying he has lost a step but dang... A shadow of himself? That's just silly.
    Last edited by Rambunctious; -01-28-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

bcrox123 is offline Registered User

the reason he "losing his step" is becuase he is basically the only weapon we have. now ppl might ***** but its the truth. besides amandolua (sp?) in 2010 the rams still had wideouts dropping balls. i truely think 2010 was the best year spags and co. would ever give us, everyone was elivated by the presence of bradofrd. if you give the offense weapons it will help not only bradofrd but jackson as well.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    A 1000 yards means very little these days. How many full seasons has SJ had in the past....four?

That would be zero I think.

Watch him run and if you take off the Steven Jackson colored glasses you'll see a runner that doesn't have the breakaway speed, nor the power that he once had. His steps are short and he goes down easily if anyone gets even near his feet.

No, SJ is on the decline, and closer to the bottom than the top.
    Did you happen to see the first play from scrimmage last season?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

S. Jackson is no spring chicken and is reaching the stage where RBs can see the ending of their careers. Fortunately, he still has some steam left for a few seasons yet. Still am concerned over S. Jackson's history of injuries. Hopefully if Fisher is going to rely on a ground pounding style of football, picking up a solid number 2 and perhaps 3rd Rb is in the mix. Granted the Rams needs are many--a new secondary, solid WR core, and RB depth being first on the list.

The upcoming 2012 draft will be critical especially in the later rounds considering the Rams needs. But the draft is often a hit-or-miss affair--players you want might be gone before you can draft them and worst you draft a dud. Right now am looking to see what moves the Rams will make in free agency before the draft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12