ramhard is offline Registered User

supplemental draft - any interest

Is there anyone in the supplemental draft that might interest the Rams, the only one I can think of might be the LB from UVA Ahmad Brooks. He could be a strong or inside LB and could be had in the 3rd, maybe the 4th.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Re: supplemental draft - any interest

Sorry, whats the supplemental draft?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I like Ahmad Brooks also. I'd take him in the 4th Round and then trade Travis Fisher for a 4th Rounder
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I'd give a third for Ahmad Brooks. He would really improve our LB corps.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I was a huge Ahmad Brooks fan a year or so ago, but I wouldn't spend more than a fifth on him now.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I was a huge Ahmad Brooks fan a year or so ago, but I wouldn't spend more than a fifth on him now.
    So what changed your mind in this last year?

I definitely wouldn't spend a third or higher on him, but a fourth to seventh rounder is worth the risk, IMO. He missed a lot of playing time last year, but has shown a freakish size-speed-hitting-tackling combination in the past, going all the way back to high school as a hightly touted recruit. I've read a few "inside" reports on him that question his work ethic, intelligence, and overall attitude [to add to his reported problems with Al Groh & staff at Virginia], so those are the only things that would hold me back from giving up any higher draft picks for him.

Here's a fun video of Ahmad Brooks...
    http://www.ejbdotcom.net/content/2804.html

Reminds me of one of Lavar Arrington's big highlights going into the draft years ago [if I remember correctly].

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Why?? What happened that caused you to cool on Brooks? I know he was removed from the team by the head coach, but I don't know why. He is a big guy with lots of talent ... and maybe lots of other stuff I don't know about...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    Why?? What happened that caused you to cool on Brooks? I know he was removed from the team by the head coach, but I don't know why. He is a big guy with lots of talent ... and maybe lots of other stuff I don't know about...
    He's been tremendously out of shape (I heard he weighed in around 275-280 pounds at the end of last season) and injured for a while. Just doesn't seem to have a great attitude or desire toward getting back to a good football level. When I first heard he'd been kicked off, I was intrigued. But the more I hear, the less I'm interested.

rams2cool is offline Registered User

Question Ahmad Brooks worth a draft pick ?

With the Supplemental Draft approaching in July, would anyone roll the dice on this troubled but talented MLB? From what I've read he could be the second coming of Ray Lewis. The ***** are looking at him hard. Would you spend a 2nd round pick on him? I would if he checks out OK. He could be the banger in the middle I think we still need.
    :clanram:Rams2cool

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Ahmad Brooks worth a draft pick ?

Quote Originally Posted by rams2cool
    With the Supplemental Draft approaching in July, would anyone roll the dice on this troubled but talented MLB? From what I've read he could be the second coming of Ray Lewis. The ***** are looking at him hard. Would you spend a 2nd round pick on him? I would if he checks out OK. He could be the banger in the middle I think we still need.
    IF we drafted Brooks I'd guess it would be past the 3rd Round and it would be to play SLB.

Past the 3rd Round yes before no.
    RamsFan16

RealRam is online now Registered User

Sorry, whats the supplemental draft? -- RAM-BO
    RAM-BO, I thought you might like the following info on 'Supplementa Draft'. I obtained it from Wikipedia.

[NFL] Supplemental Draft

In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. The supplemental draft maintains the same team order from the regular draft, with the team with the worst record in the previous season picking first.

However, in the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003. Thus in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick).

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his hometown Cleveland Browns, who advised him to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a reoccurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 32 players have been taken in the past 26 Supplemental Drafts.