Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Surprise! Kroenke decides to exercise his matching rights

Stan could transfer ownership of his less valuable franchises into the possession of dear family memebers.

But the little comment Khan made about the coming draft gets the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that Khan and Stan don't agree on who should be the first pick and get all that guaranteed cash. So, Stan claims his right, forces a Suh selection instead of the Bradford selection, then rescinds his option for the additional 60%.

oooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :-)

Semper Fi!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Its hard to imagine Kroenke selling two franchises just to buy the Rams. He must really believe that the Rams will start pulling down some revenue or he must really love this team. I can't see the guy playing it false to drive up the price, not his style. This is epic news and this week leading up to the draft just keeps getting more and more interesting...
    Admittedly I am no expert on the subject, but based solely on the popularity of these sports I would bet that owning an NFL team is much more lucrative than owning an NBA or NHL team. I'd be interested if somebody could rustle up some numbers that show the differences in profitability for team ownership in different sports. I'm guessing that if he is considering selling 2 teams just for the sake of owning 1, that being the owner of the Rams is going to make him a very pretty penny.

What a wild NFL offseason this has become!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I'm very pleased with this. Being a Missourian, Kroenke will do what is necessary to not only keep the team here, but to rebuild the franchise.

I bet Wally World will begin selling more Rams gear, too.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Kroenke should just slap a billion on the table and walk out of the room. Lord knows he and his Wal-Mart Heiress wife could afford it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

When you say "its not his style" and that he is "playing it false" i think you are ignoring the realities of the business world. He didnt make his kind of money by being a saint on earth. I dont know what you know about his style, but based on any number of businss dealings that i have been around that have tangentially involved him, he drives as hard a bargain as anyone and there is absolutely nothing false or unethical about trying to get the best deal he can and maximize the value of his stock, while also keeping his options open.

kroenke has extensive real estate holdings in denver. Through various entities, he controls literally hundreds of millions of dollars of downtown denver real estate. It will not be easy for him to divest the nuggets and avs. Furthermore, those deals dont happen quickly, especially in this financing environment, and sales of those teams would be subject to league approval.

In short, Kroenke's behavior is nothing more than an incredibly astute and succesful businessman keeping his options open and doing his best to maximize his investment and his leverage. His true motives are unclear at best.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Its hard to imagine Kroenke selling two franchises just to buy the Rams. He must really believe that the Rams will start pulling down some revenue or he must really love this team. I can't see the guy playing it false to drive up the price, not his style. This is epic news and this week leading up to the draft just keeps getting more and more interesting...
    But not all pro franchises are equal. It could very well be that Kroenke sees more cachet value in being God Emperor of an NFL team than owning an NBA and NHL team.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I should also point out that the gift tax consequences of transferring ownership of the two colorado teams to family members will be very substantial. I am not saying that he wouldnt do it, just that we should all keep in mind that alternative will not be cheap, even if it does pass league scrutiny, which it may or may not.

At the end of the day, we are going to see whether Kroenke and the NFL are each (or neither) prepared to litigate over the issue.

One thing i will be anyone is that Kroenke isnt going to do anything because he "loves" any particular team. He is going to do what he has done throughout his entire career-make what he perceives to be the best business decision, not a decision based on emotion or sentiment (regardless of what he says publicly).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tiko377 is offline Registered User

i think he might be thinking about moving the rams out of st louis .....

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Regardless what schemes, legal manouvering and end games that are happening behind closed doors, I can't help but worry all this could hurt the Rams.

I can't see anyone getting filthy rich owning the Rams--and at best profitable if the team is a proven winner. So always believed that any owner would be "proud" to own an NFL team, and an extention of their ego. To that end, an owner would be willing to forgo making some profit to build a winning team. So goes my thought pattern.

This move once again puts the Rams in limbo. I can't see the FO making radical changes and making large investments with this cloud of uncertainty least any move chase off either of these two suitors. Keeping in mind that till papers are signed, its still the previous owner's property who want the most $$$ possible from the sale

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Well that phrase didn't take long to show up.

RealRam is offline Registered User

From my little office chair in my little world of little people ... all I can say is, "it mu$t be nice!"

Nonetheless, as Ramblin' put it, "may the best man for the Rams win". Especially if Kroenke were to rebuild the franchise (FanSam) which would be a most welcomed incentive.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's not get silly about this. There's a lot we don't know, but I think that its safe to assume that (1) this isn't about the first draft pick, and (2) this isn't an indication that the Rams are moving.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tiko377 View Post
    i think he might be thinking about moving the rams out of st louis .....
    I'm sure you do....

oh look, your from California....i'm somehow not surprised...

*waits for the "Could the Rams be Leaving Saint Louis" threads..*

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In any event, this is a bit of a curve ball. Kroenke ownership would be great news, especially if he turned out to be committed enough to it to sell his other assets. I have no idea how this cross-ownership thing is going to unfold.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is SUCH a surprise. I suppose Kroenke has enough money to do whatever the hell he likes and it's his prerogative to try to buy the team out. If you've got that much money, you've obviously made some shrewd business deals in the past. If he has the temerity to sue the league in order to change the cross-ownership rules, more power to him.

Its hard to imagine Kroenke selling two franchises just to buy the Rams. He must really believe that the Rams will start pulling down some revenue or he must really love this team.
    He has been a shareholder since we moved the team to STL, so I'm not going to doubt his commitment to this franchise.

I read in another thread today that Kroenke has also been expressing interest in purchasing the Arsenal Football Club in the English Premier League. They are one of the biggest soccer teams in Endland after the Manchester Franchises and I'd say one of the biggest in Europe standing alongside franchises from Italy, Spain & Greece. My best guess is that Arsenal FC would pull more money than any NFL franchise and that if Kroneke can buy into The Gunners he could purchase the Rams in entirety and make at least what he's making with his Colorado franchises at the moment. If he chooses to sell those franchises, he of course pockets their substantiative sale values as well. If all goes accordingly and The Rams start to pull it together, this may even be a better decision fiscally than sustaining his monopoly on the Colorado sports market.

I feel that it's a lot like monopoly, actually. Kroenke can't buy into the Broncos to complete a triad of major franchises in Colorado, so it might be time for him to trade his two yellow properties for Mayfair and (the equivalent of) Vine Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore
    I can't see the guy playing it false to drive up the price, not his style.
    I don't think you can put it past anybody who took sixty days to decide to purchase a franchise he'll have to change NFL ownership rules to get ahold of. They don't award points for style in the world of business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast