throwback week

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Surprise! Rookie Tackle Jason Smith Returns To Practice

12.30.2009 2:20 pm
    Surprise! Rookie tackle Jason Smith returns to practice
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The St. Louis Rams had a surprise addition to their practice contingent Wednesday. Rookie tackle Jason Smith, out since suffering a concussion Nov. 22 vs. Arizona, was suited up and participated in some light drills. It had generally been assumed that Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, wouldn’t return to the field this season.

But he passed his follow-up neuro exam and was cleared by the team’s doctors to begin rehab work.

“It was a great relief to, No. 1, pass the test and then to be able to be around the team, be at practice and . . . be able to do something,” Smith said. “We took the test a couple of days ago, and I was able to pass it. We started taking it one day at a time from there, doing light workouts and seeing how the head reacts.”

Neither Smith nor coach Steve Spagnuolo has ruled out the possibility of Smith playing Sunday when the ***** are in town. “We’re just taking it day to day, just light activity and progressing as the week goes,” Smith said. “We’ll see what happens this weekend.”

All for now… more later.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Surprise! Rookie Tackle Jason Smith Returns To Practice

This IS a surprise. It's great to see that Smith has the fire to get back with the team, but I'm not sure playing him makes sense when dealing with lingering concussion issues. It's only one game and I'd hold him out, let him take the off-season to fully recover and make sure eveything is right. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice to see him back out there and finally pass the neuro-test, but I don't see much sense in trying to play him this weekend.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nice to see him back out there and finally pass the neuro-test, but I don't see much sense in trying to play him this weekend.
    Ditto. The Rams need to take it slow and easy with Mr. Smith.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

[QUOTE=r8rh8rmike;324662]

But he passed his follow-up neuro exam and was cleared by the team’s doctors to begin rehab work.

“It was a great relief to, No. 1, pass the test and then to be able to be around the team, be at practice and . . . be able to do something,” Smith said. “We took the test a couple of days ago, and I was able to pass it. We started taking it one day at a time from there, doing light workouts and seeing how the head reacts.”
    QUOTE]

It sounds to me more like he's just out there to slowly work himself back into things - not rush back to the field. I would bet he feels like he's just been released from prison and just wants to feel the freedom.

Mooselini Guest

I would want him to sit unless he's 100%. Concussions are things you can't mess around with.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I would want him to sit unless he's 100%. Concussions are things you can't mess around with.
    This.

However, if he is 100%, id like to see him getting some playing time at LT. Might as well give him some experience there

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    This.

However, if he is 100%, id like to see him getting some playing time at LT. Might as well give him some experience there
    No way should the rams risk him getting a concussion again, sit him out and give him a year to recover... Head injuries take a lot more than a couple weeks to fully heal...

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This IS a surprise. It's great to see that Smith has the fire to get back with the team, but I'm not sure playing him makes sense when dealing with lingering concussion issues. It's only one game and I'd hold him out, let him take the off-season to fully recover and make sure eveything is right. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    I agree Mike, nice to see him back but I don't think it's worth the risk for only one meaningless game,I can't wait to see what he can do for a whole season,I really think he is going to be a big time player.