TekeRam is offline Registered User

SWitCH Post Week 7

Sorry that this is getting out later than I would have intended, but I was sick as a dog Sunday night and yesterday. If I was smart, I wouldn't even be at work today, but alas, I am.

I'll start this with one simple statistic, there are two undefeated coaches in the league today, well, three(SF's Singletary), but those two are, Jeff Fisher of the 6-0 Titans, and Jim Haslett of the 2-0 Rams. Even more striking is this: the Rams, at 2-4, are in 2nd place in the division and are actually in better contention for the division crown than the Colts are, at 3-3 behind 6-0 Tennesee.

Yes, the sportswriters are all talking about how Washington and Dallas killed themselves with turnovers and self destruction, but someone has to force those turnovers and someone still has to cover people and make plays. Long has to pick up the fumble. Pisa has to put the hat on the ball to knock it to OJ and he has to run it to the house. Spoon needs to leap to make the catch for the interception. Hell, the defensive line needs to tip that ball to allow Spoon to get it. Avery has to run past the defense for the TD, and has to adjust to the ball to catch it one handed to set up the field goal. Bulger has to be upright to complete the pass. Jax has to not be dancing until he gets hit, but rather hit the hole and get yards.

What's the difference? The coach. The playbook, the players(mostly), and the organizations are all the same. The schedule is still the same. We knew our first half of the schedule would be hard, and it has been, but Washington was the hottest team in the league and we shut the down. Dallas might be the most talented team and we shut them down. Haslett has these players believing in not only the schemes and the coaches again, but themselves.

It came out last week that Haslett told the players that they would face adversity, but they would come out on top. In the game he told the offense that the defense was gassed and that the Skins would score to pull ahead. But it didn't matter, because the offense would drive for a field goal. That gave instant credibility to Haslett, and it carried over to this week.

Even the crowd didn't care we gave up a TD on Dallas' opening drive. They'd seen us come back from 7-0 last week. We then went on to roll up 34 unanswered points. Our lines dominated both sides on Sunday, getting 3 sacks, helping Jax get 160 yards on the ground and giving time to Bulger.

Under Linehan, we'd be in last place in the division, and winless, even with all of the turnovers caused by the defense. The players just didn't believe in themselves any more. They do now, and that is fully due to Haslett. Rooney rule be damned, we didn't have to interview a minority candidate for the interim promotion, we shouldn't have to to keep Haslett on. He's shown himself to be the perfect head coach for this team for the moment, and I continue to hope that he does going forward. Against a New England team that finally found itself this week, the true test of Haslett will be going into Foxboro on Sunday. If we can pull off an upset there, I don't think anybody will be questioning the Rams any longer.

rampower is offline Registered User

Re: SWitCH Post Week 7

If the rams do lose, i am curious to how the rams will react the next week. The first loss and our teams reaction to it, may be the biggest test of haslett and his team.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Isn't Tom Cable in OAK also undefeated?

Regardless, even if we come out and lose to NE, I hope we at least make a game of it. As long as we believe we have a shot at winning every game, we have the talent to make the Cards sweat a little for the division.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Sorry Weasel, Cable's first game looked worse according to most pundits as they were owned by an angry Saints team after losing to Minnesota.

That we make a game out of every remaining one is my hope too, and what my belief is. The players know that we'll lose some games, but at the same time snatched one out of the jaws of defeat against Washington, so I have to believe that they will play their butts off in every game for the rest of the season.

Here's to taking revenge in New England on Sunday!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, the sportswriters are all talking about how Washington and Dallas killed themselves with turnovers and self destruction, but someone has to force those turnovers and someone still has to cover people and make plays.

If we can pull off an upset there, I don't think anybody will be questioning the Rams any longer.
    good post! However that last part? If Patsies lose there will be excuses. No Brady, no Moroney, No Harrison, and Sammy Morris questionable, you know where this is going, right? You got it, another decimated team! Don't expect any respect anytime soon. NFL Power rankings show us at #25, with the Raiders at #24, so you know what they still think about us regardless of Haslett's 2-0 record.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    good post! However that last part? If Patsies lose there will be excuses. No Brady, no Moroney, No Harrison, and Sammy Morris questionable, you know where this is going, right? You got it, another decimated team!
    Admittedly, a decimated team who pummeled the first place team in the AFC west last night.