RamWraith is offline Registered User

T. Hill interview

Talking Deion and the draft with the Rams top pick. New Madden screens included.

by Jon Robinson

May 24, 2006 - Whatever stat you quote to Tye Hill, there's one that gets him fired up. "I'm not 5-9, I'm 5-10," he says with a laugh. "That 5-9 thing is a bad rumor. They pushed my head down at the combine and now everyone thinks I'm short. Of course I'm 5-9 when you push my head down."

Whatever his size, there's no doubting Tye Hill stands tall on the field. The first cornerback taken in the draft instantly became one of the fastest men in the NFL when his name was called by the commissioner, and his athletic ability could make him one of the standout rookies in 2006. Not bad for a track star who started his football career as a running back and only started to play corner, a position many feel is the hardest in the sport, as a sophomore at Clemson.

IGN Sports caught up with the newest Ram to talk about everything from Deion to the draft to how he plans to guard those receivers taller than 5-10. Here's what Hill had to say.

IGN Sports: Did your videogame obsession start with Madden, or does it go deeper than that?

Tye Hill: Tecmo Bowl, homey. They'd do the high five after the touchdown. You can't stop Bo Jackson.

IGN Sports: How do you think your character was in NCAA Football last year?

Tye Hill: Terrible. I wasn't even an Impact Player. What was that all about? I'm not an impact player.serious? I just got drafted in the first round but I'm not good enough to be an Impact Player in the game. One thing they did get right was my speed. They finally had me as one of the fastest guys in the game, so I wasn't too mad about that, but I was mad about not being an Impact Player. That stuck with me.

IGN Sports: Do players really look at who is an Impact Player in the videogame and talk smack if you're left out?

Tye Hill: Oh yeah. Everybody pays attention to that, especially when they added Impact Players. They'd be like 'He ain't even an Impact Player in the game'. What you mean? People try to use that to play mental games, but it's all good.

IGN Sports: What advice do you have for EA Sports when making your Madden character?

Tye Hill: Made sure they do a better job than they did in college, please. The key to capturing me is just getting my speed, my toughness, get my strength up. In the college game, they had me so weak people could throw me around. I was like, dang, EA's got no love for me.

IGN Sports: Have you had the chance to challenge anyone to a Madden game out at the Rams facility yet?

Tye Hill: Not yet, man, I don't have time. When we get through with training, I just want to go to sleep. We're in the middle of mini-camps, and when I come back to the room, I have my PlayStation right here but I haven't even played a game since I've been here. I need to spend all my time learning the playbook.

IGN Sports: How nervous were you watching the draft? Did you know the Rams were interested?

Tye Hill: I had an idea the Rams were interested and I knew I had a shot when they were picking. I knew I wasn't going to get past #20, but I just didn't know who was going to be the team.it could've been anybody. I had a little cookout the day of the draft, then during the draft I started thinking that it was a bad idea because I didn't know what was going to happen. I started seeing some people go before me and I was like 'Are you serious?' I'm straight, though. I ain't mad at where I was chosen because I was the first corner chosen and that's basically the only thing I wanted. I didn't care where I fell as long as I was the first corner chosen.

IGN Sports: What is the biggest adjustment you'll need to make transitioning to the NFL?

Tye Hill: Speed of the game and just playing 24/7. In college, I was able to get by on some things that I'm not going to be able to get by on in the league. Sometimes in college, I really didn't need to run too hard to keep up, but here, I'm going to have to get on my horses and run my hardest at all times.

IGN Sports: Did your background in track help your football game?

Tye Hill: Most definitely, especially from an endurance and speed perspective. Track really benefited me. I always used track as my tool to help me with football ever since I was in middle school. Those are the two sports that I still truly love today.

IGN Sports: Were you always that damn fast growing up? As a kid were you Flash while your friends were Superman and Batman?

Tye Hill: Yeah, it was pretty much a God given talent. You have to use what God gives you.

IGN Sports: You started out as a running back, though. Why did you make the switch to corner?

Tye Hill: I was always a running back but I wanted to continue to run track. I knew that if I wanted to continue to play football and run track, I couldn't do that at running back because I was going to have to gain some weight to carry the load at running back. At the time, I really wasn't feeling the running back position anymore, and Terrence Newman was coming out in the draft that year and he was the Big 12 champion in the 100 and the 60, and I felt if I could do the same thing he did, I could be in the same position he was in on draft day. As I changed, I came to love the cornerback position, and here I am today.

IGN Sports: You won Most Improved Player in 2003 and 2004 and you keep getting better at playing the position. What is your true potential in the NFL?

Tye Hill: Sky is the limit as far as my potential because I've only been playing the position for three years, and if I keep continue to get better and work on my game, there's no telling where I can go. I want to go to the Pro Bowl, of course, but I really want to have a Hall of Fame career.

IGN Sports: Who would you compare your game to?

Tye Hill: It's kind of hard to compare myself to one corner, but I compare a lot of different aspects of my game to different guys. Ultimately, I want to be compared to the greatest to ever play this position, and that would be Deion Sanders. That's the ultimate comparison I'm looking to have one day. Right now, I'm a little mixture of DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson, and Terrence Newman.

IGN Sports: Was Deion your favorite player growing up or were there other guys you admired?

Tye Hill: Most definitely Deion Sanders, but I have a lot of guys that I was a fan of. I always liked Warrick Dunn and a few other guys like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Michael Irvin. I'm a fan of the game.

IGN Sports: Now that the nasty 5-9 rumor has been cleared up, at 5-10, how are you going to cover bigger receivers like Moss or T.O.?

Tye Hill: I have a 41-inch vertical. I actually started playing cornerback against taller receivers and it's all about position, really. I just need to put myself in the best position to where I can be effective and help my team win. Winning is what it's all about, and I'm looking to make an impact as soon as possible.I'll show EA what it's like to be an Impact Player, even if I wasn't one in the game.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: T. Hill interview

Good post but I believe it was posted before.
    RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

It is cool that the players notice how they are portrayed on the video games.
    He should not feel bad though: Michael Huff wasn't an impact player (on NCAA '06) either!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

yea i think someone posted these like a couple of days ago