Like Tree5Likes

Thread: T.J. McDonald Making Progress

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

T.J. McDonald Making Progress

T.J. McDonald making progress

November, 7, 2013
    Nov 7

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams safety T.J. McDonald isn't yet eligible to come off the injured reserve/designated to return list, but he will be soon. And when he is, all indications are that he'll be healthy enough to resume practice.

“He’s progressing nicely," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s actually on land running right now, so that’s a huge step for him. We won’t have any problems with the timing of that.”

McDonaldMcDonald suffered a fracture in his leg against San Francisco on Sept. 26. That was Week 4 of the season. Soon after, the Rams placed him on the aforementioned list, a designation that allows him to return to practice after six weeks and return to games after eight.

Based on that timeline, McDonald could return to practice next week when the team is on its bye, and be eligible for his first game back on Dec. 1 at San Francisco. That also works under the assumption that McDonald will be healthy and cleared to play by then.

Getting McDonald back would be good for the Rams on a couple fronts. First, they have struggled mightily at safety for most of the season, particularly with him out of the lineup. Although he struggled with some missed tackles in his first four games, he generally was in the right position and was more than willing to come up and hit someone.

Second, the Rams need every game possible to develop young talent such as McDonald. Who knows how much further along he'd be if he'd been healthy all season? The sooner he returns, the sooner he can get valuable game experience.

As for the Rams' injury report, running back Zac Stacy (foot) continued to follow what's becoming his weekly protocol by returning to practice on a limited basis Thursday. He didn't practice Wednesday, but again looks like he's going to be ready to go Sunday against Indianapolis.

Guard Harvey Dahl (knee), quarterback Brady Quinn (hip) and tight end Lance Kendricks (hand) did not practice again Thursday.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: T.J. McDonald Making Progress

well, IMO he was not the answer to our safety woes but no worse then what we have........
    ManofGod likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    well, IMO he was not the answer to our safety woes but no worse then what we have........
    IMO he is the answer to half of our safety woes. Still need the other half to complete it.
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i've seen TJ at USC (of course) and i've always seen him as a SS the way he plays

hits hard, plays the run better than the pass

hope he makes that switch, or improve his coverage skills, though i don't like the DC let alone him coaching the DBs as well

hope they can find a DB coach and replace the DC...

better for everyone

and yea, you need two good safeties, not just a promising rookie who got injured

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i've seen TJ at USC (of course) and i've always seen him as a SS the way he plays

hits hard, plays the run better than the pass

hope he makes that switch, or improve his coverage skills, though i don't like the DC let alone him coaching the DBs as well

hope they can find a DB coach and replace the DC...

better for everyone

and yea, you need two good safeties, not just a promising rookie who got injured
    I agree with this 100%. He plays like a SS easily. I still don't understand the schemes we have played on defense most of the season. it's like they are trying to fit 11 square pegs into 11 round holes most of the time.
    citr92 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

His absence may explain our run defense being less than acceptable. I suspect Chris Johnson may not have been as successful with TJ in the box. I look forward to his return.

Go Rams!

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Who does he replace ? Stewart ? Mcleod ? Neither has been consistent,imo, to put it mildly. Both could boost STs as well if relieved of their starting duty. Probably where they both should be, anyway. Giordano disappeared after that pick six, didn't he ?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    well, IMO he was not the answer to our safety woes
    I think it's way too early to say. He is only 4 games into his career, you have to cut him some slack.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

TJ was great when he was on the field. He was always around the ball and was a big time presence in the run game. He had some BIG time hits too. This kid was a great find by Fisher and the boys. Now we need a ballhawk at FS and our backend would be set.

THE DREAM TEAM

emuen is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    TJ was great when he was on the field. He was always around the ball and was a big time presence in the run game. He had some BIG time hits too.
    Don't confuse big hits with great defensive football. The drop-of from McDonald to Stewart has been non-existent.

That doesn't mean that he can't be a good pickup. It simply mean that he didn't play great right away. Which is maybe also too much to demand from a 3rd round pick.

citr92 is offline Registered User

well first off, he only played 4 games...second, he's a better SS than a FS imo

i'd like to see fisher put him at SS (obviously)

i'm sure that would allow him to play his game and be doing his job

unlike playing that way as a FS, i mean he can snatch interceptions when he feels like it and they're usually all at the right time, but he wants to hit people and his physical attributes will benefit most from SS

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Don't confuse big hits with great defensive football. The drop-of from McDonald to Stewart has been non-existent.

That doesn't mean that he can't be a good pickup. It simply mean that he didn't play great right away. Which is maybe also too much to demand from a 3rd round pick.
    I didn't mean he was a great player already. He still has lots to refine in the passing game. To me, I have noticed a change from McDonald to Stewart. Stew has been missing a healthy amount of tackles. At the end of the day we still need a ballhawk who can roam at the backend, which we don't have.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'd like to see McDonald playing in our 8-man front packages. Combine that with a ball-hawk free safety and some continuity to mold together, we have a top 6 defense in the making.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    His absence may explain our run defense being less than acceptable. I suspect Chris Johnson may not have been as successful with TJ in the box. I look forward to his return.

Go Rams!
    ?.......... Dallas and DeMArco Murray
    SF and Gore
    .... are you sure about that statement?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Fans love big hits. The reality though is that often times, the big hits are actually fundamentally poor tackling and lead to an increased chance of injury. Wrapping up the offensive player and bringing him down doesn't make the high light reel but it's what makes you a great player.

I don't agree there isn't a drop off from McDonald to Stewart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast