throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tackle Concerns

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tackle Concerns

Good SLAQ, bad SLAQ there must be a ton of "BAD" in the NFL because we're talking about Orlando "Pro Bowl" Pace.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by EvilXenu View Post

In Pace's case, its a recently developed problem, and something that often occurs when tackles get older.
    Could you elaborate on why this occurs with older tackles? Also, do you have a link to the statement about Boudreau wanting to trade up etc?

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

There’s no doubt that SLAQ is important. Take Walter Jones, for example. From 2003-2005, he had an average SLAQ of 18 degrees. After Steve Hutchinson left, it went all the way to 27 degrees. The result? He had one of his worst years as a pro, giving up many sacks.

Jackie Slater had a career SLAQ of 17, and Anthony Munoz’s was 16.5. Now, of course, those are HOFs, and you can’t expect everyone to match their performance, but clearly there is a direct correlation between SLAQ and performance.

As for Pace, he used to have good SLAQ ratings. In fact, in 2000, when the GSOT was at its peak, his SLAQ was a 15 (which, though its not clear how long this can be documented, may be an all time record for a full season).

You can really see when a player’s SLAQ goes up. What typically happens is that opposing Des line up further outside to get an edge on speed rushing, and the OT overcompensates by raising his SLAQ. That may be okay against a pure speed rusher (such as Dwight Freeney), but with any rusher who uses bull rush techniques of any kind, its fatal. It also tends to result in very slow reaction times on running plays and against stunts.

The rating system was first developed by Don Shula (well, he gets credit but it was probably his scouts), who was built lines that supported a great running game of the 1970s, as well as the Marino passing game of the 1980s. Most coaches use it to this day to evaluate players.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

RedArcher7 Guest

If you have links to any of this SLAQ stuff, spit um out man, it's not that I don't believe you or anything. I don't really expect you to have a link to the quote of trading up, that seems like a no brainer to have the o-line coach wanna get a better lineman.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Apparently the coaches and FO were watching and signed Big O to a new contract a while back. As far as Barron goes, it doesn't matter which way his feet are pointed if he can't remember the snap count ...
    Yea, but that's coming from the same coaches and FO that think our safeties are worthwhile. And we just spent 5 pages showing how those two guys have to go. You can't trust the viewpoint of coaches anyway. They have to spend everyday with these players, watching them on the practice field, listening to them in meetings, working one-on-one with these guys on AND off the field, and of course watching and talking to them on game day. It's too much interaction with the players. That's why guys like me know much more about these players and what they're capable of than the coaches. We only see them during game time on Sundays. We watch them through our t.v., so trust me when I say, we know a lot more about these players than the coaching staff does.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

chiguy is offline Registered User

Looks to me like the fishing is pretty good in these parts.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Looks to me like the fishing is pretty good in these parts.
    practically jumping in the boat. but that's the thing about fishing; it's not how many fish you caught, but how closely you watch the fisherman.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    practically jumping in the boat. but that's the thing about fishing; it's not how many fish you caught, but how closely you watch the fisherman.
    AND- More importantly, as we're learning, their SLAQ(s).

This is by far the funniest thing i've read thismorning.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM0 View Post
    Good SLAQ, bad SLAQ there must be a ton of "BAD" in the NFL because we're talking about Orlando "Pro Bowl" Pace.

You got that right, my friend! :bash:

Angles, hmmm, interesting species of fish for football anglers.

No doubt there are numerous technical aspects to each position that NFL players -- and the coaches that support them -- keep in mind. For a Pro Bowl caliber OT like Orlando Pace, however, unless he has some ongoing injury in either foot (which he doesn't), this geometry study shouldn't be an issue. Period.

Alex Barron is still learning how to count but I trust he's mastered the numbers up to one thousand; thus, I also expect to see him improved this year as our RT.

Besides, we can always give Big Jackie a call to come on over to Rams Park for some additional coaching, as he has done in recent years. Would'nt mind seeing Bob 'Boomer' Brown intimidating Alex into becoming a good tackle either.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-02-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Man, this thread is funny.

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

The key here is that we don't want any big SLAQers at the OT position. If you have a player who SLAQs off, that just isn't good for the team. We want some big, SLAQ-jawed guys.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

RedArcher7 Guest

I don't even think that made sense...with or without SLAQ

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We're all clear on the fact that this entire thread was obviously meant to be tongue-in-cheek, right?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We're all clear on the fact that this entire thread was obviously meant to be tongue-in-cheek, right?

Well AV, I don't know. Maybe it's because English is not my native tongue ("no hablo inglés").

I'm not much of a comedian and also, I still fall for the often found attempts here of someone being a wisecrack via a clowny thread or masquerade posts. Sarcasm is such a poison sometimes and yet I fail to recognize it. So, getting back to your question, no, I'm not clear on the fact that this entire thread was 'obviously' meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

I do realize it is the off-season though... Orlando Pace, Alex Barron. Jay Leno, David Letterman. What a show!
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-03-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Typing

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I remember watching a monday night football game against the Colts a couple of seasons ago. At the time Dwight Freeney was the best pass rusher in the game, and was putting tons of pressure on QBs and getting tons of sacks. He had a spin move that would get him past any OT. Unti he played against Orlando Pace.

Pace kept him shut up the whole game. The fabled Freeney spin move only meant Dwight spun from one of Orlando's arms onto the other. And without the spin Freeney had nothing on Pace, and was shut out. That was one of the best performances ive ever seen from an OT.

You dont throw something like that away because a guy has slightly changed the angle of his feet.

NOTE: Freeney did have a FF that game. However he was lined up over Brandon Manumaleuna on that play, and Manu pushed him into Steven Jackson, causing the fumble

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast