Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!

JustSayin is offline Registered User

Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!

Maybe it's just me but I need to know if any other Rams fans were not only upset with the play calling but down right embarrassed at what can only be called cowardly offensive football. Sure it's ok to use the long handoff once in a while and try to break a tackle to get a first down but today the Rams ignored the 1st down marker especially on 3rd and 2, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 5. 3rd and I don't care you pick the number.

Late in the game with the Rams facing an important 3rd and 2 they ran into a dilemma. Lets see how are we going to pass the ball and at the same time make sure we do not throw it all the way to the first down marker? Just run a pattern two yards deep in the backfield and I'll try and make a good throw. Making a first down was important but not as important as continuing to look like they do not have the ability or confidence to actually throw a meaningful forward pass.

It's difficult to run a more gutless offense then the "West Coast Walsh" dink fest however the Rams have vaulted Walsh's dink attack in the stratosphere of "Air Coryell."

The Cardinals defense played the Rams offense so tight it was embarrassing to any seasoned NFL fan. Cardinals had zero respect for the Rams deep threat of 7 or 8 yards down the field.

Hey I have an idea lets run a single reverse down at the Cardinals end of the field. All the corners are playing us tight, they are crowding up to the line of scrimmage, and everyone weather they be in a comma or not knows that barring divine intervention your going to get stuffed while looking even sillier.

Can't think of anyone else who would call such a play in that situation. We sure as hell are not going to do something stupid such as throw the ball down the field towards the first down marker and thus the endzone.

Of course there are those who will say: "Hey we won didn't we?" There are those that will say: "It's a conservative low risk offense." To that I say: "Yea like the 2 yard dink pass that was intercepted for a TD.?"

Is this it? Is this the offensive scheme the Rams toiled to put together in the off season?

Does anyone really believe that such a cowardly approach to offensive football is going to win many games?

Note to Fisher: Pull out the 2000 Superbowl tape, pop it in your VCR or Beta and take a look at the kind of offense that beat you.

Winning enough games just to stay employed is not good enough.

JustSayin
    Last edited by JustSayin; -09-09-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    live4ramin, RockinRam and rNemesis like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!

Rams play calling will improve, I'd say.

This win generates confidence and everybody will probable realize / has already realized what the offense is capable of doing. Everybody.

Coaches Fisher and Schottenheimer will gradually let the reins lose on the Rams. We've got players.

Let's just stay healthy, learn from our mistakes and enjoy the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!-carnero5a.jpg  
    JustSayin likes this.

Rams play calling will improve. OK lets pick that theme up for a moment. I believe that their play calling should be directly proportional the situation. If they need to learn that throwing a two yard pass on 3rd and 8 is ok once in a while but every time and when you behind by two scores? And when it hasn't worked? Well I applaud your attitude about it and I envy your confidence that they just need to improve, I see a coaching staff with either no confidence in their offense or terrified to play real football. Anyway thanks for the response I hope you are right. BTW, You said "We've got players." I agree 100%. That is even more reason to be concerned that they are not being allowed to play. I dono. Just glad we won. We should have won that game by more then we did even with the shy play calling. The Cardinals were lucky to be in that game. Go RAMS.
    Last edited by JustSayin; -09-09-2013 at 02:22 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

["We've got players"] ... [the] more reason to be concerned that they are not being allowed to play. -- JustSayin
    They will be allowed, they'll be allowed to play gradually to their potential.
    JustSayin likes this.

Thank you. Now I understand. For some silly reason I thought the players already had the green light to play up to their potential.
    Just kidding I know what you meant.

justSayin

I still say our play calling is down to how the O Line performs and the reason we have not been stretching the field as much as our receiving core says we should is purely down to that.

So I would tip my hat, if I am correct, to our play calling, as he understands that.
    Curly Horns and JustSayin like this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Bradford to Givens deep...a number of times preseason...bank on it. For some reason the shackles were on yesterday.

The early passing to Hendriksen in key situations surprised me. Very successful too. What's his condition?
    JustSayin likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    The first 2 drives had more creative plays with motioning Kendricks everywhere and designed passes to the rbs (where were tbose passes when sj39 was around). The gameplan seemed a little vanilla sprinkled in with the occasional creative play. I believe someone on this site said earlier in the week thst4 they thought the rams would continue keeping some of their new schemes under wraps until a more forcimidable opponent.
    JustSayin likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My only beef with the playcalling was on the 1st and Goal from the 4 yard line after the Johnson interception.

I'd like to see the Rams run plays where Bradford has multiple options, rather than quick hits to a targeted receiver. I also thought the draw play was ill-advised, though perhaps that was more of a case of poor execution.

This is a VERY young team, particularly at the skill positions. I think 27 points against a quality defense is a good start.
    laram0 and JustSayin like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Does anyone really believe that such a cowardly approach to offensive football is going to win many games?
    We won!

If Cook does not drop or get stripped as he scoring we put up 34 points! It's kind of hard for me to rip on the play calling. Every game is going to be a different challenge and I think we will look different each and every week.

The Cards took away Givens and the deep ball and we worked the underneath stuff with Cook and Austin. Next week Atlanta will be trying to stop Cook and that will open it up for someone else.

We wanted to score more points and we did, we wanted to avg. more then 7 yards a pass play and we where 7.9. So I'm happy. Can we do better in the red zone, I sure hope so. Oh yeah and we won!
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-09-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    RamDez and JustSayin like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My only beef with the playcalling was on the 1st and Goal from the 4 yard line after the Johnson interception.

I'd like to see the Rams run plays where Bradford has multiple options, rather than quick hits to a targeted receiver. I also thought the draw play was ill-advised, though perhaps that was more of a case of poor execution.

This is a VERY young team, particularly at the skill positions. I think 27 points against a quality defense is a good start.
    My sentiments exactly. That was a very disappointing set of downs!
    JustSayin likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

The Rams had a lot of opportinites int eh red zone; but.....
    that theme of cant put in from the red zone was still plaguing them.

I like Marty, but Ive never been wowed by his son's offenses, at least by what I saw of the Jets in the past.
    JustSayin likes this.

A lot of interesting comments. A good night sleep, a win and some positive responses from Rams fans. The day is starting out pretty darn good. Thanks guys.

JustSayin

macrammer is offline Registered User

I was frustrated too with some of the play calling in red zone and lack of execution BUT.......Rams were losing 24-13!!!! When is last time we left a game with the last 17 points unanswered by another team and we were victorious. building blocks.
    RealRam, ram3057 and JustSayin like this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Actually it was 14 points, but point taken. I thought the same thing too. Since when? Maybe since Isaac Bruce was on the team? If the Rams were down by 11 or more points going into the forth quarter, I'd often just shut the game off and go do something else because the Rams lost. It's exciting to know this team can keep their poise and pull out a win late, especially with such a young team.

BTW, the Rams GSOT in 1999 scored 27 points in their season opener.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    JustSayin likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast