Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Take The Dresses Off Of Our Offense. Let Them Play!

I have faith that the offense will get even better, especially the running game. They now have footage this year to look at and make adjustments.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Read this post again, it applies 100% to the first three quarters of this game as well (And the last 4 years). All passes are lateral, 2-6 yards to the left or right and no attempts to make a "forward pass". Defense play up. We've given up 2 pick six's off these "safe" plays.

The question is not "why didn't we go to hurry up sooner". The question is, why don't we use the spread offense with all these weapons?". It's not the hurrying up part that is what is needed, it's the part where you actually throw the ball across the little lines that go all the way to the end zone, and not to the left or right.

Very one dimensional passing game. We're in trouble as OC and HC are on the same page that getting into "manageable third downs" is a good thing. The NFL has changed. This philosophy and their "secret plays" are from the 1980's.

I am 100% confident they are not holding out on anything as we almost lost last week and had our a$$es handed to us in this game. The future is now. I see last years offense, plus Jarod Cook.

That and a bag of chips will get you 6 wins.
    bradwill likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Read this post again, it applies 100% to the first three quarters of this game as well (And the last 4 years). All passes are lateral, 2-6 yards to the left or right and no attempts to make a "forward pass". Defense play up. We've given up 2 pick six's off these "safe" plays.

The question is not "why didn't we go to hurry up sooner". The question is, why don't we use the spread offense with all these weapons?". It's not the hurrying up part that is what is needed, it's the part where you actually throw the ball across the little lines that go all the way to the end zone, and not to the left or right.

Very one dimensional passing game. We're in trouble as OC and HC are on the same page that getting into "manageable third downs" is a good thing. The NFL has changed. This philosophy and their "secret plays" are from the 1980's.

I am 100% confident they are not holding out on anything as we almost lost last week and had our a$$es handed to us in this game. The future is now. I see last years offense, plus Jarod Cook.

That and a bag of chips will get you 6 wins.
    I guess I just don't see what you see...

I see two games and 2 100+ yard receivers. I see Sam Bradford with 651 yards and 5 TDs in 2 games. I see no sacks. I see the ball being spread to multiple receivers.

That is hardly last year's passing game + Jared Cook.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I see two games and 2 100+ yard receivers. I see Sam Bradford with 651 yards and 5 TDs in 2 games. I see no sacks. I see the ball being spread to multiple receivers.

You have to also consider that in both games the Rams were playing catch up, so passing the ball was the most viable option. I would like to hope that the mindset would be to play the 'catch-up' offense before we get to the point where we really have to catch up.
    Last edited by punahou; -09-16-2013 at 11:56 AM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Last year's offense plus cook minus a running game= Bradford numbers are a lot higher cause of the volume...

Our running game is nonexistent.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The bottom line is that Sam is producing. Maybe the focus of the critiques should be on some other aspect of the team.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Fair enough, there has been more production. But most of that production was when we were down by 21 and 11. Up until those moments, it looked eerily similar to last years offense + Jarod Cook, with all the dink and dunks.

Not saying we're not capable, but definitely embarrassed at the pathetic play calling for most of the last 2 games until we've had no choice but to open it up. I don't like to look at us in a vacuum, I've seen what offenses around the league are doing and we are possibly the most predictable, vanilla there is.

No sacks is a good thing, but if in part it's because we don't have down field plays that take time, and throw all quick outs for 3 yards, then perhaps I could go for a few sacks to go with a few more 15-25 yard passes (in the air). I'll take a couple more picks too, since we've got 2 already anyway, if it meant we actually had a bunch of receivers down the field waiting for our #1 pick QB to throw to them.

punahou is offline Registered User

Im not familiar with a Schott. offense; but what I had seen from the Jets is that he isnt a stretch the field guy.

It is ironic that our Rams have had the sons of 2 really good Defensive Coordinators and they happen to specialize int he offensive side.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

Shouldn't 'son-of-Marty' be up in the booth rather than looking at a note card between plays doing his best Lane Kiffin impression?

Head Slap is offline Registered User

The bottom line is that Sam is producing. Maybe the focus of the critiques should be on some other aspect of the team.
    I concur. and he is accurate and guys aren't catching this missiles. However it is hard to tell at this point if he is threading the needle so often because he is waiting too long and not seeing all his receivers or the guys aren't getting open? The latter is my thought and he needs a few pass plays to get the ball to his guys, especially Austin in space...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yesterday our offense was dictated by starting positions of the 8, 5, 11, 9, and 13 yard lines, all but one of those coming because of special teams penalties.

We just can't open up the playbook in those situations, and the defense knows it. They were able to smother us all afternoon because of it.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Yes, like the corners, special teams penalties and general miscues. While all folks have room for improvement, we have much better chance of victory yesterday with NO special team penalties (aiding in poor field position) and better play in pass defense.

I do see too many tipped passes (can anyone help me understand why?? (technique, stare down of primary receiver ??) and that pic 6 throw was ill advised, thrown with too much on it for the distance AND it most likely would have netted 0 yards BUT overall Sam is delivering. BTW Sam, slide next time PLEASE

itsguud is offline Registered User

Too many excuses for far too long. I bet if someone took the time to go back through post-game reactions for the last few years you will find that there are always fans of Bradford who talk about his inconsistency to throw medium and long routes. He loves to check down and is continually defended in that guys are not getting open down-field. I've been to a number of games and find that just isn't true. He usually looks at his first read and if it isn't immediately there throws the check-down.

I'm not a Bradford hater, but I don't think he is capable of hitting the medium-long balls no matter what WR he has available. He just seems too intimidated out there, I'll call it Marc Bulger syndrome (post-shoulder injury).
    renrawtruk likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Yesterday our offense was dictated by starting positions of the 8, 5, 11, 9, and 13 yard lines, all but one of those coming because of special teams penalties.

We just can't open up the playbook in those situations, and the defense knows it. They were able to smother us all afternoon because of it.
    Great points. It's just not as simple as throw the ball downfield. When your backed up in your own end, options are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I'm not a Bradford hater, but I don't think he is capable of hitting the medium-long balls no matter what WR he has available. He just seems too intimidated out there, I'll call it Marc Bulger syndrome (post-shoulder injury).
    Bradford to Givens has produced numerous deep completions, including a 47 yarder yesterday. In addition to that play, there was a nice deep out to Pettis for 20, and a seam route down the middle to Kendricks for 17. There is no question Bradford can throw the ball downfield.

As far as this notion that Bradford was playing scared in the first half, I simply didn't see it. Just to be sure, I watched the game again, and sure enough, I saw a quarterback executing the plays that IMO were being scripted for him. If anyone can point out a specific example of this intimidated behavior, I'd be happy to discuss it.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In my opinion, all those checkdowns are a combination of the playcalling and Bradford's in-game decisions.

There was definitely more than once where Bradford had a WR open downfield and instead he decided to check it down. Bradford needs to see the field better and be more patient with the ball. On the other hand, Schotty needs to freakin' call better plays.
    renrawtruk likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast