Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

  1. #1
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,877
    Rep Power
    94

    Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Per Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk

    Although the Rams didnít use the franchise tag or the resurrected transition tag on offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the Rams continue to make keeping him a top priority.

    Per a league source, talks between the team and Saffold are expected to intensify as the week unfolds. To date, productive discussions have occurred.

    The Rams retain the exclusive ability to negotiate with Saffold until Saturday. At that point, a three-day legal tampering window opens.

    That said, plenty of impermissible tampering is and has been happening. And it will continue to happen.

    A second-round pick in 2010, Saffold started all 16 games as a rookie. Since then, he has missed 17 of 48 games due to injury. Saffold nevertheless has proven to be a versatile component of the offensive line when healthy, and with left tackle Jake Long still recovering from a torn ACL, the Rams hope to keep Saffold around.
    What do you think the chances are Saffold stays a ram? I'm totally on the fence. I say 45-50% right now.


  2. #2
    RosieJones's Avatar
    RosieJones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    30%

    If Saffold has been unofficialy hearing LT type numbers from other teams I don't know why he would sign any offer from the Rams before he hits FA.

    i like Saffold, but I don't want the Rams to overpay for him.

  3. #3
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Rodger Saffold controls the fate of the Rams draft...

    Sign Saffold, and an OT at #2 is no longer necessary, and we can use it on a better prospect (Watkins, Clowney, or Trade)

    Lose Saffold and I could see OT at #2 being almost a sure thing, which I am not in favor for thanks to a certain bust by the name of Jason Smith...

    Coming out of that #2 spot without a trade down, Watkins, or Clowney will be very disappointing to me, therefore I am in favor of re-signing Saffold. I would put the odds however at no greater than 50%... It's a crapshoot.

  4. #4
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Rodger Saffold controls the fate of the Rams draft...

    Sign Saffold, and an OT at #2 is no longer necessary, and we can use it on a better prospect (Watkins, Clowney, or Trade)

    Lose Saffold and I could see OT at #2 being almost a sure thing, which I am not in favor for thanks to a certain bust by the name of Jason Smith...

    Coming out of that #2 spot without a trade down, Watkins, or Clowney will be very disappointing to me, therefore I am in favor of re-signing Saffold. I would put the odds however at no greater than 50%... It's a crapshoot.
    Signing a Guard will make no difference to whether an OT is drafted at #2 overall. Whether Saffold signs or not there will still be room for an upgrade at OT, especially given the uncertainty over Jake Long's injury.
    AvengerRam and RosieJones like this.

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,494
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Rodger Saffold controls the fate of the Rams draft...

    Sign Saffold, and an OT at #2 is no longer necessary, and we can use it on a better prospect (Watkins, Clowney, or Trade)

    Lose Saffold and I could see OT at #2 being almost a sure thing, which I am not in favor for thanks to a certain bust by the name of Jason Smith...

    Coming out of that #2 spot without a trade down, Watkins, or Clowney will be very disappointing to me, therefore I am in favor of re-signing Saffold. I would put the odds however at no greater than 50%... It's a crapshoot.
    I disagree.

    I don't think that the Rams view Rodger as a long-term starting OT. While he could fill in for Jake Long, if necessary, while he works his way back to the field, in the long run the Rams seem to view Rodger as an OG.

    As a result, I could easily see the Rams re-signing Rodger AND drafting an OT in at No. 2.

    They would not, however, need to take a guy like Gabe Jackson in Round 2.

  6. #6
    supachump is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    san fran
    Age
    45
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    What do you think the chances are Saffold stays a ram? I'm totally on the fence. I say 45-50% right now.
    I'd say about a 2% chance. I'd like to be wrong. But I don't see this guy doing anything but testing the market. And when he tests the market, he suddenly becomes (imo) out of the Rams dollar range.

  7. #7
    Richbert88's Avatar
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    I think Saffold wants the biggest dollars possible and that will put the Rams out of contention, sadly.

    If he can't stay healthy, those big dollars are going to be the reason he gets cut in a couple seasons, and he's not shown that he can stay healthy.

    I would think he'd want to play for an up and coming team and would choose security, but I don't think he will. There would be more security with the Rams on a decent deal where he would play OG and spot OT. What good is a huge contract if you only collect a portion of it.
    Semper Fi!

  8. #8
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,224
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    30%

    If Saffold has been unofficially hearing LT type numbers from other teams I don't know why he would sign any offer from the Rams before he hits FA.

    i like Saffold, but I don't want the Rams to overpay for him.
    Yes, about 30% chance sounds right -- and the rest of your post sounds right too.

  9. #9
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

    Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I think Saffold wants the biggest dollars possible and that will put the Rams out of contention, sadly.

    If he can't stay healthy, those big dollars are going to be the reason he gets cut in a couple seasons, and he's not shown that he can stay healthy.

    I would think he'd want to play for an up and coming team and would choose security, but I don't think he will. There would be more security with the Rams on a decent deal where he would play OG and spot OT. What good is a huge contract if you only collect a portion of it.
    ^This

    I often wonder if the agents are guilty of conflict of interest. They always try to get the biggest contract that they can for the player, but is that for the player's future or the agent's commission? If the agent only gets a commission/fee as the player gets paid, then I don't believe there is a conflict of interest. If they get a commssion/fee based off of the full contract deal, then there is a conflict of interest. The agent would advise the player to take a $50m deal that is unlikely to reach its full pay over a $25m deal that is all garruanteed. To me, that is not in the player's best interest.


    gap

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 68
    Last Post: -03-03-2014, 03:18 AM
  2. Rams' Saffold Improving At Right takle
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -05-24-2013, 10:36 PM
  3. Rams Saffold one of the biggest steals?
    By sosa39rams in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -05-27-2011, 10:27 PM
  4. Rams-Bradford negotiations intensify ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -07-21-2010, 06:47 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -07-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •