Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

Per Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk

Although the Rams didnít use the franchise tag or the resurrected transition tag on offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the Rams continue to make keeping him a top priority.

Per a league source, talks between the team and Saffold are expected to intensify as the week unfolds. To date, productive discussions have occurred.

The Rams retain the exclusive ability to negotiate with Saffold until Saturday. At that point, a three-day legal tampering window opens.

That said, plenty of impermissible tampering is and has been happening. And it will continue to happen.

A second-round pick in 2010, Saffold started all 16 games as a rookie. Since then, he has missed 17 of 48 games due to injury. Saffold nevertheless has proven to be a versatile component of the offensive line when healthy, and with left tackle Jake Long still recovering from a torn ACL, the Rams hope to keep Saffold around.
    What do you think the chances are Saffold stays a ram? I'm totally on the fence. I say 45-50% right now.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Re: Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week

30%

If Saffold has been unofficialy hearing LT type numbers from other teams I don't know why he would sign any offer from the Rams before he hits FA.

i like Saffold, but I don't want the Rams to overpay for him.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Rodger Saffold controls the fate of the Rams draft...

Sign Saffold, and an OT at #2 is no longer necessary, and we can use it on a better prospect (Watkins, Clowney, or Trade)

Lose Saffold and I could see OT at #2 being almost a sure thing, which I am not in favor for thanks to a certain bust by the name of Jason Smith...

Coming out of that #2 spot without a trade down, Watkins, or Clowney will be very disappointing to me, therefore I am in favor of re-signing Saffold. I would put the odds however at no greater than 50%... It's a crapshoot.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

Sign Saffold, and an OT at #2 is no longer necessary, and we can use it on a better prospect (Watkins, Clowney, or Trade)

Lose Saffold and I could see OT at #2 being almost a sure thing, which I am not in favor for thanks to a certain bust by the name of Jason Smith...

Coming out of that #2 spot without a trade down, Watkins, or Clowney will be very disappointing to me, therefore I am in favor of re-signing Saffold. I would put the odds however at no greater than 50%... It's a crapshoot.
    Signing a Guard will make no difference to whether an OT is drafted at #2 overall. Whether Saffold signs or not there will still be room for an upgrade at OT, especially given the uncertainty over Jake Long's injury.
    AvengerRam and RosieJones like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

I disagree.

I don't think that the Rams view Rodger as a long-term starting OT. While he could fill in for Jake Long, if necessary, while he works his way back to the field, in the long run the Rams seem to view Rodger as an OG.

As a result, I could easily see the Rams re-signing Rodger AND drafting an OT in at No. 2.

They would not, however, need to take a guy like Gabe Jackson in Round 2.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    What do you think the chances are Saffold stays a ram? I'm totally on the fence. I say 45-50% right now.
    I'd say about a 2% chance. I'd like to be wrong. But I don't see this guy doing anything but testing the market. And when he tests the market, he suddenly becomes (imo) out of the Rams dollar range.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think Saffold wants the biggest dollars possible and that will put the Rams out of contention, sadly.

If he can't stay healthy, those big dollars are going to be the reason he gets cut in a couple seasons, and he's not shown that he can stay healthy.

I would think he'd want to play for an up and coming team and would choose security, but I don't think he will. There would be more security with the Rams on a decent deal where he would play OG and spot OT. What good is a huge contract if you only collect a portion of it.
    Semper Fi!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    30%

If Saffold has been unofficially hearing LT type numbers from other teams I don't know why he would sign any offer from the Rams before he hits FA.

i like Saffold, but I don't want the Rams to overpay for him.
    Yes, about 30% chance sounds right -- and the rest of your post sounds right too.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I think Saffold wants the biggest dollars possible and that will put the Rams out of contention, sadly.

If he can't stay healthy, those big dollars are going to be the reason he gets cut in a couple seasons, and he's not shown that he can stay healthy.

I would think he'd want to play for an up and coming team and would choose security, but I don't think he will. There would be more security with the Rams on a decent deal where he would play OG and spot OT. What good is a huge contract if you only collect a portion of it.
    ^This

I often wonder if the agents are guilty of conflict of interest. They always try to get the biggest contract that they can for the player, but is that for the player's future or the agent's commission? If the agent only gets a commission/fee as the player gets paid, then I don't believe there is a conflict of interest. If they get a commssion/fee based off of the full contract deal, then there is a conflict of interest. The agent would advise the player to take a $50m deal that is unlikely to reach its full pay over a $25m deal that is all garruanteed. To me, that is not in the player's best interest.

gap