Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

Taunting rule may be tweaked

Updated: October 30, 2013, 7:37 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Taunting Rule To Be Reviewed

Head of officiating Dean Blandino said the NFL's competition committee likely will review the league's taunting rule this offseason.

Blandino, in an appearance on NFL Network, was explaining the penalty assessed on Golden Tate and the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night, after the wide receiver began waving at and taunting St. Louis defenders at the Rams' 25-yard line en route to an 80-yard touchdown.

Blandino explained that in the NFL, taunting is a dead-ball foul, which means the play counts and a penalty is assessed on the next play. He compared that to college rules, which would have nullified the touchdown and assessed a penalty at the spot of the foul, meaning instead of a touchdown the Seahawks would have been at the Rams' 40.

"A lot of people felt that the touchdown shouldn't have counted [but] a taunting foul is always treated as a dead-ball foul, meaning whatever happened during the play counts, and the foul is enforced on the next play, which would be the kickoff," Blandino said. "In college, this action would take back the touchdown."

Blandino said he is sure the rule is something the competition committee will look at in the offseason.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday he is 100 percent against the idea of taking a touchdown away from a team if a player is flagged for taunting on the play.

"I think that's a terrible thing to do," Carroll said. "I think it puts too much pressure on the officials to change the game like that. I think that would be terrible to ask on a back judge to decide if he should take away a touchdown in a game. That should not be part of what an official has to do."

The competition committee is a group of eight coaches and executives who review rules each year, discuss and debate them, and present them to ownership at the owners' meeting in March. Rams coach Jeff Fisher is a member of the committee.

Other members of the committee include: Atlanta Falcons executive Rich McKay, Dallas Cowboys executive Stephen Jones, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, New York Giants co-owner John Mara, Green Bay Packers executive Mark Murphy, Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith and Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Tate apologized Monday night after the Seahawks were penalized 15 yards for his taunting penalty.

"That was immature of me. Hurt my team. I've gotta stay composed. ... Act like I've been there before," Tate said. "I gotta apologize to our special teams. I put them in an awkward situation, but more happy to get up and learn from it and move forward."

Carroll indicated Tate has been fined by the NFL, but did not give any specifics.

"The actions that the league took in this case were warranted exactly," Carroll said. "That's not who we are or what we're all about. It was a mistake that Golden has totally taken accountability for. I wish it wouldn't have happened. There's no place for that in football. That's not part of this game. Golden got the scrutiny he should get and we move on."

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

it's not that it hurts a players feelings, and it shouldn't, it's their job and they're men

but i think it'd be good so people actually THINK before being an idiot

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Won't be long now before one can easily get flagged for running in a funny manner.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Won't be long now before one can easily get flagged for running in a funny manner.
    Ha-ha. LOL! Flipp, you reminded me of Crazylegs Hirsch's "style" of running.

But a message to 'Tate': T H I S is the way to do it when scoring a TD in the NFL, no taunting BTW.

Those were the days! MUST return to that swagger, even if only in a semblance.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-30-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Ram

emuen is offline Registered User

Yeah, and if smack-talk and not picking the opponent up after a play could take points of the board as well, then I would be super excited.

Golden Tate taunted, and he received a penalty, and he received some not so nice words from his head coach. He didn't taunt his way to an advantages on the play, and what ever he said he could have said penalty free at his next offensive play, if he hadn't been so frustrated and dumb. So should his TD really be called back?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Nah, leave it alone. If you don't want a showboating clown waving buh-bye in your face as he struts into the endzone, cover him better or, better yet, make the pick.You know JJ wouldn't have stopped jawing about the pick for the rest of the game if he'd made it. I'm not excusing Tate; I think there's a big difference between smack talked among players and publicly dissing another player ( something he still hasn't apologized for; just for hurting his team...Seahag douche) but I don't think you penalize the whole team that severely for the unsportsmanlike actions of one player that don't involve violence. But I also don't see why the penalty is assessed on the kick-off, instead of the PAT. Make them kick a 40 yd PAT, dammit...

Apropos of nothing, I do think coaches should be able to challenge a penalty & force the zebs to watch tape before changing the course of a game with a bad call, eg Long's bogus off-sides vs CAR.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-31-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    Haste likes this.

it should not have been called back but he should have been marched up and down main street in the nude then tarred and feathered ............. then sent back to wet land
    citr92 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont buy the argument that the taunting has no impact on the outcome of the play. While that may be a true statement, it is equally true of a holding penalty away from the play that has nothing to do with the outcome of the play. The point is, why should taunting be treated differently from any other personal foul or penalty that occurs during the play?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm a big believer in conducting yourself like a professional on the field but feel taking away a TD for a showboating/taunting infraction is overkill.

If you really want to make a point, give the opposing team the ball at the 50 after the extra point. In 5 years, kickoffs will be eliminated anyway, so what's the difference?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think the focus should have anything to do with taking away a touchdown. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs during the play. Assume for a second that the guy was tackled on the ten yard line and it wasnt a td. You would assess the 15 yards after the play from the spot of the foul in that event. The fact that it was a td shouldnt change that. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs DURING THE PLAY. I agree that it is too harsh to take away the td if the taunting occurs AFTER THE TD, but not when the foul occurs during the play (again, just like any other penalty that occurs during the play).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    macrammer and gap like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

giving the opposing team the ball at the 50 doesn't sound like a bad idea lol

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Truth is, the way the rule currently is enforced, it has very little teeth. If the NFL is serious about getting rid of taunting, the penalty has to really hurt the team, like taking away the touchdown. Something inbetween may be overall better, but I don't see what it is. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground as after the TD is scored, the other team gets it back.

My two ideas would be: No extra point chance. It's not taking away the TD, but it could make a difference in a tight game. Or, instead of assessing the penalty by changing the place the ball is kicked on the kickoff, just add 15 yards to the end of the return. I think either of those would give the penalty enough teeth to be an actual deterrent without taking away the whole TD.
    gap likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Taunting is problematic (see Carolina game fiasco), and I think the NCAA has it right. If the taunting happens before the TD, it should be penalized from the spot of the foul. As far as a rule change that takes a TD away, I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't want your score nullified, don't taunt. It's pretty simple.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    ...I think the NCAA has it right. If the taunting happens before the TD, it should be penalized from the spot of the foul. As far as a rule change that takes a TD away, I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't want your score nullified, don't taunt. It's pretty simple.
    Totally agree!

That the NFL would come up with a HISTORICAL FIRST and, upon further review...

...decides to a posteriori nullify that TD in game vs. C-chicks last Sunday. WE WIN. That would teach Tate a lesson and it would eliminate that kind of silly taunting in a hurry!

There are much better ways to celebrate a TD without taunting like that, even in advance of reaching the end zone. See post #4.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-31-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Emoticon

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont think the focus should have anything to do with taking away a touchdown. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs during the play. Assume for a second that the guy was tackled on the ten yard line and it wasnt a td. You would assess the 15 yards after the play from the spot of the foul in that event. The fact that it was a td shouldnt change that. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs DURING THE PLAY. I agree that it is too harsh to take away the td if the taunting occurs AFTER THE TD, but not when the foul occurs during the play (again, just like any other penalty that occurs during the play).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Truth is, the way the rule currently is enforced, it has very little teeth. If the NFL is serious about getting rid of taunting, the penalty has to really hurt the team, like taking away the touchdown. Something inbetween may be overall better, but I don't see what it is. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground as after the TD is scored, the other team gets it back.

My two ideas would be: No extra point chance. It's not taking away the TD, but it could make a difference in a tight game. Or, instead of assessing the penalty by changing the place the ball is kicked on the kickoff, just add 15 yards to the end of the return. I think either of those would give the penalty enough teeth to be an actual deterrent without taking away the whole TD.
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Taunting is problematic (see Carolina game fiasco), and I think the NCAA has it right. If the taunting happens before the TD, it should be penalized from the spot of the foul. As far as a rule change that takes a TD away, I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't want your score nullified, don't taunt. It's pretty simple.
    I agree with spot foul, and not taking away a TD if the taunting is after the TD. I also like the idea of assessing the 15 after the return (and any penalties on the return). Something else would be a coaches choice between assessing after the return, or voiding the PAT.

I am also concerned which leaving this to the judgement of the official. I see teams like the cheatriots and donkeys and sealers getting the benefit of the doubt, while teams like the RAMS, Bucs, Cards get flagged for something that a reasonable person would doubt was taunting.

One other thing. Anyone else getting tired of things the RAMS get abused by being made a rule (or emphasis on enforcement) the next year? And in most of those cases, the rule gets forgot about in a RAMS game, unless they can flag the RAMS for it.

gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast