Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Re: Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont buy the argument that the taunting has no impact on the outcome of the play. While that may be a true statement, it is equally true of a holding penalty away from the play that has nothing to do with the outcome of the play. The point is, why should taunting be treated differently from any other personal foul or penalty that occurs during the play?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Whether a hold helps a scoring play happen is often debatable, a judgement call. There was no way Tate gained an advantage by doing what he classlessly did. If anything, he might have tripped or fumbled.

Again, apropos of nothing but the general rules theme, I never understood why a DPI flag could be picked up because a ball is deemed uncatchable but minor infractions like the one that called back Amendola's big play vs SF last year aren't deemed irrelevant to the outcome.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Taunting Rule May Be Tweaked

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont think the focus should have anything to do with taking away a touchdown. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs during the play. Assume for a second that the guy was tackled on the ten yard line and it wasnt a td. You would assess the 15 yards after the play from the spot of the foul in that event. The fact that it was a td shouldnt change that. The point is that the penalty should be assessed from the spot of the foul when the foul occurs DURING THE PLAY. I agree that it is too harsh to take away the td if the taunting occurs AFTER THE TD, but not when the foul occurs during the play (again, just like any other penalty that occurs during the play).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I would actually take this argument in the other direction. You're right that penalties that don't affect the outcome of the play should be applied consistently, but you could argue that really means they need to fix these ticky-tacky holding calls on the other side of the field that nullify big gains. I think you want to limit the refs making subjective calls that have debatable effect on the play but have a big effect on the outcome of the game as much as possible. Refs don't like being put in that position, and fans don't like hearing those calls. I think it would be more embarrassing for the Rams to win games because the refs were protecting our guys from being made fun of than any embarrassment from being taunted by Golden Tate. Who cares what he thinks? It's just motivational material for next game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12