Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: Tavon Austin 81 Yard TD

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin 81 Yard TD

I don't understand why Schotty can't design more plays like this for Tavon. It's a simple play really. Tavon starts out wide left, motions into a trio WR set with Cook and Givens, and simply runs a drag route across the field. Right off the snap he has space to work with and once the ball hit his hands he was gone.

Here's the play:

Tavon Austin 81 Yard TD-tayyyy.jpg (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

We have to get a few more plays like this going.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tavon Austin 81 Yard TD

It's not going to work quite as well against a zone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Hubison is correct.

Zack Stacy is forcing teams to play the run. Indy played man in the secondary. That makes this an easier play to develop. In a zone, there would have been at least one more defender over the top against TA.

I loved seeing TA go off though.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think a better take away from last Sunday is that Tavon Austin isn't a guy you need to "force feed" the ball. Its the quality of his opportunities, rather than the quantity, that matters, as he is a threat to go all the way whenever he gets the ball in space.
    sosa39rams likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'd bet if you reviewed what Tayvon faced in college, it was mostly zone coverage. That sort of play works really well in zone for 10 yard pickups.

The first play of the game for Indy was a pass into the flat for T.Y. Hilton with two receivers blocking in front of him. While it only went for 7 yards, it was a perfect example of the type of play that a still rough Tayvon could excel at. If he can make a man miss on the block, he's got some space until the safety enters the picture.

citr92 is offline Registered User

quality, not quantity...

Rambos is online now Registered User

My thought was, why not get your best three on the field at all time or as much as possible. Much like we did with the five O linemen moving Saffold to guard. Why not line up Givens and Tavon on the outside, with Cook in the slot. We are using two TE sets a lot and that leaves Tavon watching more then playing. Both of Tavon big plays came when he was outside not in the slot.

Givens and Tavon running deep routes who you going to double team? When they both run deep routes that opens up the seam and the underneath stuff for Cook. When they both run clearing routes that leaves a lot of space for Stacy once he gets to the second level.
    Haste and citr92 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Since it has already been outlined previously that Tavon has had difficulty learning the playbook / comprehending breaking down the play call assignments, I'm not sure him being on the field more is realistic to assume is an easy solution.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Often times they motion Austin in to the slot position from outside, so he can draw off coverage. An example of this was against Seattle, when Sherman moved to soft coverage after Austin motioned to the slot. Austin then ran a quick out and made an easy first down. With Cook also in the slot, it's harder to do. And I think we've seen the last of the 4 wide, spread looks on first down for a little while.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Since it has already been outlined previously that Tavon has had difficulty learning the playbook / comprehending breaking down the play call assignments, I'm not sure him being on the field more is realistic to assume is an easy solution.
    I have only hear one person make this claim and that is Jon Gruden. I think Gruden took what Tavon said out of context. Tavon said;

"In the beginning, it was kind of different, just because at West Virginia, I did all signals, and now they're just heard. It was kind of hard, but I'm definitely getting it. It's slowing down for me a little bit, so I'm definitely getting it."

I have not heard one coach feom the Rams use this as an excuse for the slow start.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

It seems to me that this play isn't new for the Rams this year, only new for Tavon. We have run a lot of shallow crosses for Chris givens who does well with them but they haven't been house calls like Tavons.