Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tavon Austin as KR

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin as KR

I don't know if this has been addressed on the forum. My apologies if it has. Any reason Tavon isn't returning KRs. At this point maybe giving him as much touches as possible could help him breakout. I want to see what he can do returning kicks. He could run out ones that are 5-7 yards deep, unlike Cunningham. Not a big fan of Cunningham anyway.

What do you guys think?

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Tavon Austin as KR

I actually liked what I saw of Bam Bam Cunningham in preseason, but I am also happy with what I see from Stacy.

Not sure if there is a reason for Tavon not returning KO's...
    This space for rent...

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Actually, let me correct myself. I am a fan of Cunningham, but not for returning kicks. As a player, he is a great addition to the team. Definitely better than Pead at RB, and showing better signs that Richardson.

thoey is offline Registered User

I think Richardson can grow as a RB. Right now he doesn't let the blocks develop and runs into the backs of the line. If he can learn patience, his speed could be deadly.

Pead? I think he will eventually be released (contract end), and someone else will give him a chance. I wish him well, but I just don't think he has the mental toughness to play.
    ManofGod likes this.
    This space for rent...

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Has pead ever been given a chance?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sb2sb2sb View Post
    Any reason Tavon isn't returning KRs.
    For some reason, Austin was sent out to return a kick at the end of the 4th quarter after Houston scored on the Tate run. He got a whopping 8 yards on the return. IMO, it's not worth the risk, and it seemed odd to have him do it with 3 minutes to go in a contest that was already decided.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    IMO, it's not worth the risk
    Austin played on ONLY 4 of 47 snaps yesterday. So what are they saving him for? I like Cunningham as a player, but NOT as a KR. I would love to see Tavon get some reps as a KR and see what he can do, because 4 snaps in a game isn't doing much.

I don't think the Rams are using him properly at all. The play calling for Austin is head-scratching at times, and I don't know what they are saving Austin for. We moved up to draft a play maker, so let's use him to his full ability.

It's highly unlikely Benny will ever break a kick return for a TD, where Austin has a shot to score almost every time he touches the ball. Benny is a serviceable KR, but Tony Horne he is not. Remember those days when we could return a kick for a TD, Mike?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Austin played on ONLY 4 of 47 snaps yesterday. So what are they saving him for? I like Cunningham as a player, but NOT as a KR. I would love to see Tavon get some reps as a KR and see what he can do, because 4 snaps in a game isn't doing much.

I don't think the Rams are using him properly at all. The play calling for Austin is head-scratching at times, and I don't know what they are saving Austin for. We moved up to draft a play maker, so let's use him to his full ability.

It's highly unlikely Benny will ever break a kick return for a TD, where Austin has a shot to score almost every time he touches the ball. Benny is a serviceable KR, but Tony Horne he is not. Remember those days when we could return a kick for a TD, Mike?
    Kickoffs are the most dangerous plays in NFL football, with violent collisions happening at full speed from converging forces. I just don't see the need to subject Austin to that risk. That said, it looks like the Rams might not agree, so perhaps we'll see Austin back there, especially if his snaps are going to be limited and he becomes less involved in the offense.

And yes my friend, I do remember those days when we had the threat of a TD every time Tony Horne returned a kick, but he was the 4th/5th receiver, and not vital to the offense. I'm hoping Austin doesn't fall into that category.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Kickoffs are the most dangerous plays in NFL football, with violent collisions happening at full speed from converging forces. I just don't see the need to subject Austin to that risk. That said, it looks like the Rams might not agree, so perhaps we'll see Austin back there, especially if his snaps are going to be limited and he becomes less involved in the offense.

And yes my friend, I do remember those days when we had the threat of a TD every time Tony Horne returned a kick, but he was the 4th/5th receiver, and not vital to the offense. I'm hoping Austin doesn't fall into that category.
    Mike, he could get hurt on any play. He's a football player, not a piece of fine china. Sure kickoffs are more dangerous, but I don't see them that much different than punt returns. Also the new rules with how the wedge is made make them safer than they were before.

Playing 4 snaps in a game isn't really vital to the offense either. He returned kicks at WV and had no problems. I don't want him or anyone injured, but I'm not a big fan of not putting him out there just because he MIGHT get hurt. Especially when he has been a KR, so it's not new to him. He's had to protect himself his whole career because he's small. He knows what he's doing since he got this far.

Come on Mike, you know I have convinced you to now want him on KR duty. 50....40...30....20...10...TOUCHDOWN TAVON!. That has a nice ring to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

I'll bet if he takes a few kicks to the house, I might have to reconsider my position.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Don't mind Tavon returning kicks when the game is on the line. Other than that, I'll let Cunningham stick to his duties.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

citr92 is offline Registered User

how are getting destroyed on kick returns any different from getting destroyed on a punt return...it can happen

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd absolutely have Tavon back for KR's. He has no spot on this offense right now and I highly doubt that changes. Why not at least have him back there where he has a chance to touch the ball? He could spark the team in a big way through ST's. If Tavon Austin got hurt right now (think through the prospective of our offense) what would we lose? The answer is "nothing"... So why not have him at KR?

He's explosive. He's shown it at PR. I think he deserves to be back there because that way at least he has the ball in space and can operate. He could set our offense up with excellent field position.

Unless Schotty magically finds a way to use Tavon to his full capabilities, I see NO reason why not to put him back there. Please Schotty, find a way...
    RealRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Indeed, one way or the other, we M U S T take better advantage of TA's potential and as already mentioned, returning kicks is one definite way! It could be surmised that the Rams coaches are "saving" Austin's powerful little engine for some project[?] but one such plan would be the 'NOW Project'.

Let that TA engine rev up and burn some rubber!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

For some reason, Austin was sent out to return a kick at the end of the 4th quarter after Houston scored on the Tate run. He got a whopping 8 yards on the return. IMO, it's not worth the risk, and it seemed odd to have him do it with 3 minutes to go in a contest that was already decided.

The Rams came out in their "hands" alignment as they were expecting an onside kick, which is why Austin was the lone deep man. He also only got 8 yards because there were no blockers (everyone was up around 10 yards from the kick to try and recover the onside kick) and he slid on the play. He did that to both avoid injury, and because the Rams were up by a ridiculous amount of points that they just wanted to Run out the clock as much as possible, rather than get great field position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast