• 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 3 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Tavon Austin Talks With Jim Rome About Rams, Geno Smith

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Tavon Austin Talks With Jim Rome About Rams, Geno Smith

May 23, 2013 1:38 PM

The St. Louis Rams traded up in the 2013 NFL Draft to select multi-purpose Tavon Austin. His versatility made him a threat at West Virginia and after getting his first taste of NFL workouts, the former college wideout/running back/return man Austin expects things to stay the same in the NFL.

“I think they will use me just like they used me at West Virginia,” Austin told Jim Rome. “So far I’ve been playing a couple positions.”

But for now, the biggest challenge he’s facing is learning the playbook. Coming from West Virginia’s system, Austin found the Rams playbook to be “foreign” when he opened it up the first time. However, he has help, in the form of college teammate and current roommate Stedman Bailey.

“We try to go over the playbook every night,” said Austin. “We just call a play out and ask each other what we have to do, so I’m definitely thankful for having Sted come with me.”

Another fellow Mountaineer, Geno Smith, was the talk of the draft when he slid into the second round. Many analysts, and Austin himself, had the record-breaking Smith going before Austin.

“It was kind of heartbreaking, said Austin. “I definitely think he’s a top 10 quarterback, top 5 quarterback.”

Austin believes Smith will persevere with the Jets, and shot down pre-draft reports questioning the signal callers work ethic and leadership.

“Definitely wasn’t true,” said Austin. “I definitely know where he came from and I know he’s a hard worker.”

Austin had attracted some attention recently when he mentioned that ever since he was drafted, people have been coming out of the woodwork, claiming to be family members and looking for money. The rookie says he has all of that sorted out now and a clear plan going ahead.

“I’m pretty much just going to stick to the people that have always been there for me,” said Austin.

Link to audio at end of article :

Tavon Austin Talks With Jim Rome About Rams, Geno Smith « The Jim Rome Show

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Tavon Austin Talks With Jim Rome About Rams, Geno Smith

"But for now, the biggest challenge he’s facing is learning the playbook. Coming from West Virginia’s system, Austin found the Rams playbook to be “foreign” when he opened it up the first time. However, he has help, in the form of college teammate and current roommate Stedman Bailey."

So many young WRs have trouble learning the playbook. This sounds promising. If Bailey and Austin can learn it before camp, it boosts their chances of success exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    "But for now, the biggest challenge he’s facing is learning the playbook. Coming from West Virginia’s system, Austin found the Rams playbook to be “foreign” when he opened it up the first time. However, he has help, in the form of college teammate and current roommate Stedman Bailey."

So many young WRs have trouble learning the playbook. This sounds promising. If Bailey and Austin can learn it before camp, it boosts their chances of success exponentially.
    This stuck out for me as well. It is encouraging to hear that they are working off each other, learning, then testing themselves to make sure they get it. So many rookies seem to look at the playbook and say, "this is overwhelming, I'm not sure I can get it", while Austin and Bailey together look to be saying, "this is overwhelming, now let's get to work and learn it".

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

The St. Louis Rams traded up in the 2013 NFL Draft to select multi-purpose Tavon Austin.

Austin had attracted some attention recently when he mentioned that ever since he was drafted, people have been coming out of the woodwork, claiming to be family members and looking for money. The rookie says he has all of that sorted out now and a clear plan going ahead.

“I’m pretty much just going to stick to the people that have always been there for me,” said Austin.
    You know the bugger never returned any of my calls, texts or tweets!!!!
    SWFCRAM likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

"this is overwhelming, now let's get to work and learn it".
    or they could just say "I'll learn it during camp". It used to be that you could learn that stuff in camp or you could even show up and get into shape during camp. Those days are over.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

The St. Louis Rams traded up in the 2013 NFL Draft to select multi-purpose Tavon Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You know the bugger never returned any of my calls, texts or tweets!!!!
    But the important questions is if he responded to any of Nick's texts or tweets.

gap

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

One thing that is not talked about enough- probably because it is politically incorrect to do so- is that many of these guys, though supremely talented on the field, are not too smart. Many of these guys are in school solely for football, not for academic excellence. And if you've been a dumbass in the classroom for years, memorizing a 350 page playbook becomes rocket science. Talent alone isn't enough to cut it, especially in the NFL. It's the reason why the Mardy Gilyards of the world and thousands of others over the years don't make it in professional sports. This is why they give the Wonderlich test and perform due diligence on thousands of draft prospects- and even with all of that you still have busts.

I'm hoping Austin and all of our other skill guys in particular do a great job at mastering the mental aspects of training camp because these guys are huge to the high hopes we all have in 2013 and moving forward.
    RealRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    memorizing a 350 page playbook becomes rocket science. Talent alone isn't enough to cut it, especially in the NFL.
    Lets hope Brian Quick was studying rocket science profusely this offseason. He certainly has the physical skills.

I'm hoping Austin and all of our other skill guys in particular do a great job at mastering the mental aspects of training camp because these guys are huge to the high hopes we all have in 2013 and moving forward.
    Maybe Barrett Brooks should be designated as a roommate for any stragglers from this year's crop. Brooks, Stacy, Bailey, and McDonald should be fine, don't know that much about the other three as pertains to academics ..

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good observation on book smarts, NJ.

macrammer is offline Registered User

One thing that is not talked about enough- probably because it is politically incorrect to do so- is that many of these guys, though supremely talented on the field, are not too smart. Many of these guys are in school solely for football, not for academic excellence. And if you've been a dumbass in the classroom for years, memorizing a 350 page playbook becomes rocket science. Talent alone isn't enough to cut it, especially in the NFL. It's the reason why the Mardy Gilyards of the world and thousands of others over the years don't make it in professional sports. This is why they give the Wonderlich test and perform due diligence on thousands of draft prospects- and even with all of that you still have busts.

Spot on....I said in earlier thread.....regarding hoopla around this kid.....just learn the playbook and do what is asked of you. we know he has talent.

The good thing here is, it doesn't sound like Austin is intimidated by the playbook. It's "foreign", but it's not insurmountable, and both Austin and Bailey appear to be getting it. We'll see for sure in the preseason, but I have a good feeling about both these guys.
    RealRam, MauiRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.