Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    I think we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg with Tavon Austin. I also believe that teams who draft receivers of his type - small, fast, and somewhat unconventional - need to learn to use their skills.

    With this in mind, here is a comparison of Tavon's first 5 games to other small, fast WRs:

    Name ----------------- Receptions ----- Yards ----- TDs

    DeSean Jackson------------23---------------315----------1
    Percy Harvin----------------18---------------233----------2
    Randall Cobb----------------9----------------174----------1
    Tavon Austin---------------23----------------156----------2
    Dexter McCluster----------10----------------106----------1
    Steve Smith-----------------2-----------------27----------0

    Looking at these numbers, Austin's start seems about average. Certainly, his yards/reception is below par, but he is getting involved in the offense consistenly and has found the end zone twice.

    I think its just a matter of time before the Rams find a way to get him the ball with room to work, and the big plays will come.
    Nick likes this.


  2. #2
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Problem isn't Austin problems OC and Bradford. It takes at least 3 years for a WR to develop. Look at Gibson in Miami, look at Pettis. Austin he'll be fine.

  3. #3
    bruce4life's Avatar
    bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hemet/San Diego CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,793
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Problem isn't Austin problems OC and Bradford. It takes at least 3 years for a WR to develop. Look at Gibson in Miami, look at Pettis. Austin he'll be fine.
    Gibson is an average 3rd WR in the league. He is a 60 catch , 800-900 yard, 4-5 tds a year... No more no less.

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Problem isn't Austin problems OC and Bradford. It takes at least 3 years for a WR to develop. Look at Gibson in Miami, look at Pettis. Austin he'll be fine.
    Let's not turn every thread into a Sam Bradford thread, okay?

    Thanks.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

  5. #5
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,992
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's not turn every thread into a Sam Bradford thread, okay?

    Thanks.
    I think we have not seen the real Tavon yet......I was very encouraged by his 25 yard reception on Sunday....Thrown by.......Bradford!!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

  6. #6
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Tavon is clearly on a leash with this offense. But his team has repeatedly screwed him over with penalties every time he has room to work during punt returns. His PR numbers should be among the leagues best but flags just keep popping up ever time he has room to work. Tavon is fine

  7. #7
    J-RodRamFan's Avatar
    J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    DMV- Maryland
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    I'm not worried about Tavon at all but it's nice to see his numbers compared to other quality receivers. I just hope he doesn't get injured.

  8. #8
    OldSchoolRamFan's Avatar
    OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
    Age
    43
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg with Tavon Austin. I also believe that teams who draft receivers of his type - small, fast, and somewhat unconventional - need to learn to use their skills.

    With this in mind, here is a comparison of Tavon's first 5 games to other small, fast WRs:

    Name ----------------- Receptions ----- Yards ----- TDs

    DeSean Jackson------------23---------------315----------1
    Percy Harvin----------------18---------------233----------2
    Randall Cobb----------------9----------------174----------1
    Tavon Austin---------------23----------------156----------2
    Dexter McCluster----------10----------------106----------1
    Steve Smith-----------------2-----------------27----------0

    Looking at these numbers, Austin's start seems about average. Certainly, his yards/reception is below par, but he is getting involved in the offense consistenly and has found the end zone twice.

    I think its just a matter of time before the Rams find a way to get him the ball with room to work, and the big plays will come.
    I do agree that it takes time to get these players going and I am a HUGE fan of Tavon and I think he is going to be a very useful weapon. That being said I have to agree with many others that play calling is hampering his usefulness and obviously penalties on special teams has been a major problem. I think it would be less of a concern if not for his draft position, because although his numbers are "average" for a "small, fast, and unconventional" reciever - his draft position was not.

    Jackson - 49
    Harvin - 22
    Cobb - 64
    Austin - 8
    McCluster - 36
    Smith - 74

    If you move up that high to draft a playmaker - find ways to let him make plays...period.
    Steve

    What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

  9. #9
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    There's truth to what you're saying, but under the current rookie scale, the #8 pick is now much more affordable from a cap standpoint than it was in the past, so that has to be factored as well.

  10. #10
    OldSchoolRamFan's Avatar
    OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
    Age
    43
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    I wouldn't wholly discount the effect of the rookie wage scale on a front office decision to move up and grab a guy they really want rather than try to make a "safer" bet, but I still contend that if you're going to make a bold move (regardless of cap implications), especially into the top 10, then be so bold as to make additional moves towards creating opportunities. I fully realize that I am no more than a couch coach, but I stand firmly in my belief that too many yards are being left on the table by not actively pursuing and, key word attempting, to get him the ball in space. It's one thing to have him in the "plans" but after 5 games (or I would argue before 5 games) it's time to put a plan into action.
    Steve

    What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

  11. #11
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,897
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I do agree that it takes time to get these players going and I am a HUGE fan of Tavon and I think he is going to be a very useful weapon. That being said I have to agree with many others that play calling is hampering his usefulness and obviously penalties on special teams has been a major problem. I think it would be less of a concern if not for his draft position, because although his numbers are "average" for a "small, fast, and unconventional" reciever - his draft position was not.

    Jackson - 49
    Harvin - 22
    Cobb - 64
    Austin - 8
    McCluster - 36
    Smith - 74

    If you move up that high to draft a playmaker - find ways to let him make plays...period.
    I agree with the premise that if you use a high pick on a guy, try to use him, but at the same time, draft position means nothing when you are out there playing. "But ref, I was a high pick" doesn't hold any weight. If the Rams don't feel comfortable using Austin in certain ways yet, they may have a specific reason. However, you shouldn't throw something at a guy you don't think he can handle yet just because of his draft position.

    Let's also not forget Austin's draft position was influenced by guys like Harvin, Jackson, and Cobb who were talented players who dropped due to size concerns, and have since done well. Teams now feel more comfortable taking those types of players early, whereas before they didn't. So the draft position comparison doesn't really mean much from that sense either.
    AvengerRam, HUbison and MauiRam like this.

  12. #12
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,988
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There's truth to what you're saying, but under the current rookie scale, the #8 pick is now much more affordable from a cap standpoint than it was in the past, so that has to be factored as well.
    What about the second round pick and moving back in the third rd to get him?

  13. #13
    OldSchoolRamFan's Avatar
    OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
    Age
    43
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    All very valid points, but never did I say a high draft pick means more when you're out there playing and "but ref, I was a high draft pick" never came into the equation. What I'm saying is that very early on Fisher said they had "big plans" for Tavon and then didn't want to show their cards in preseason. Well, it's time to show the cards. Maybe they do have a specific reason for not using him in certain ways, wheither it be comfort or otherwise but I still contend that if you're going to bring a shiny new gun to a gun fight don't pull out your knives just because you're not sure about your new gun....I'd rather lose with a well concerted effort.... just my opinion that isn't worth much.
    Steve

    What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

  14. #14
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What about the second round pick and moving back in the third rd to get him?
    I thought at the time that the Rams may have "overpaid," but I don't think its fair to put that on Austin's shoulders. If he becomse as productive as Steve Smith or Percy Harvin, I won't care that we gave up a draft pick (and, FYI, we moved UP in the 3rd, so the price was really just a 2nd round pick).
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

  15. #15
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,988
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I thought at the time that the Rams may have "overpaid," but I don't think its fair to put that on Austin's shoulders. If he becomse as productive as Steve Smith or Percy Harvin, I won't care that we gave up a draft pick (and, FYI, we moved UP in the 3rd, so the price was really just a 2nd round pick).
    I know we moved back and recouped picks witch was a great move by Les but that's not to be factor in to determine Austin's cost to acquire IMO.

    I'm not putting it on Austin just like I don't with Bradford draft spot or cost. I do have to question the Rams lack of a plan on how they have used him in the first five games. All preseason we where lead to believe they had all these plans and plays but where not going to show their hand. Now it appears they did not have anything planned and are just running the same plays DA ran.

    Shcotty is clearly on the hot seat IMO. I'm not down on Tavon he has become my latest jersey purchase, think he's is special. The bottom line is Shcotty has three very big investments, Bradford, Cook and Austin in his hands.

    If we continue to struggle not saying we will, I have hope as always but if we do. I think Frank Cignetti will replace him next year. We don't have to completely start over but we need to fix this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: -07-13-2013, 02:01 AM
  2. Tavon Austin's open-field juke, other notes
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
  3. Bernie on Tavon Austin's Height
    By ZiaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
  5. Finding context in the Stafford debate
    By Goldenfleece in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •