Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Tavon Austin's start in historical context

I think we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg with Tavon Austin. I also believe that teams who draft receivers of his type - small, fast, and somewhat unconventional - need to learn to use their skills.

With this in mind, here is a comparison of Tavon's first 5 games to other small, fast WRs:

Name ----------------- Receptions ----- Yards ----- TDs

DeSean Jackson------------23---------------315----------1
    Percy Harvin----------------18---------------233----------2
    Randall Cobb----------------9----------------174----------1
    Tavon Austin---------------23----------------156----------2
    Dexter McCluster----------10----------------106----------1
    Steve Smith-----------------2-----------------27----------0

Looking at these numbers, Austin's start seems about average. Certainly, his yards/reception is below par, but he is getting involved in the offense consistenly and has found the end zone twice.

I think its just a matter of time before the Rams find a way to get him the ball with room to work, and the big plays will come.
    Nick likes this.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Tavon Austin's start in historical context

Problem isn't Austin problems OC and Bradford. It takes at least 3 years for a WR to develop. Look at Gibson in Miami, look at Pettis. Austin he'll be fine.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Problem isn't Austin problems OC and Bradford. It takes at least 3 years for a WR to develop. Look at Gibson in Miami, look at Pettis. Austin he'll be fine.
    Gibson is an average 3rd WR in the league. He is a 60 catch , 800-900 yard, 4-5 tds a year... No more no less.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Let's not turn every thread into a Sam Bradford thread, okay?

Thanks.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's not turn every thread into a Sam Bradford thread, okay?

Thanks.
    I think we have not seen the real Tavon yet......I was very encouraged by his 25 yard reception on Sunday....Thrown by.......Bradford!!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Tavon is clearly on a leash with this offense. But his team has repeatedly screwed him over with penalties every time he has room to work during punt returns. His PR numbers should be among the leagues best but flags just keep popping up ever time he has room to work. Tavon is fine

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm not worried about Tavon at all but it's nice to see his numbers compared to other quality receivers. I just hope he doesn't get injured.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I think we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg with Tavon Austin. I also believe that teams who draft receivers of his type - small, fast, and somewhat unconventional - need to learn to use their skills.

With this in mind, here is a comparison of Tavon's first 5 games to other small, fast WRs:

Name ----------------- Receptions ----- Yards ----- TDs

DeSean Jackson------------23---------------315----------1
    Percy Harvin----------------18---------------233----------2
    Randall Cobb----------------9----------------174----------1
    Tavon Austin---------------23----------------156----------2
    Dexter McCluster----------10----------------106----------1
    Steve Smith-----------------2-----------------27----------0

Looking at these numbers, Austin's start seems about average. Certainly, his yards/reception is below par, but he is getting involved in the offense consistenly and has found the end zone twice.

I think its just a matter of time before the Rams find a way to get him the ball with room to work, and the big plays will come.
    I do agree that it takes time to get these players going and I am a HUGE fan of Tavon and I think he is going to be a very useful weapon. That being said I have to agree with many others that play calling is hampering his usefulness and obviously penalties on special teams has been a major problem. I think it would be less of a concern if not for his draft position, because although his numbers are "average" for a "small, fast, and unconventional" reciever - his draft position was not.

Jackson - 49
    Harvin - 22
    Cobb - 64
    Austin - 8
    McCluster - 36
    Smith - 74

If you move up that high to draft a playmaker - find ways to let him make plays...period.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

There's truth to what you're saying, but under the current rookie scale, the #8 pick is now much more affordable from a cap standpoint than it was in the past, so that has to be factored as well.

I wouldn't wholly discount the effect of the rookie wage scale on a front office decision to move up and grab a guy they really want rather than try to make a "safer" bet, but I still contend that if you're going to make a bold move (regardless of cap implications), especially into the top 10, then be so bold as to make additional moves towards creating opportunities. I fully realize that I am no more than a couch coach, but I stand firmly in my belief that too many yards are being left on the table by not actively pursuing and, key word attempting, to get him the ball in space. It's one thing to have him in the "plans" but after 5 games (or I would argue before 5 games) it's time to put a plan into action.
    Steve

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I do agree that it takes time to get these players going and I am a HUGE fan of Tavon and I think he is going to be a very useful weapon. That being said I have to agree with many others that play calling is hampering his usefulness and obviously penalties on special teams has been a major problem. I think it would be less of a concern if not for his draft position, because although his numbers are "average" for a "small, fast, and unconventional" reciever - his draft position was not.

Jackson - 49
    Harvin - 22
    Cobb - 64
    Austin - 8
    McCluster - 36
    Smith - 74

If you move up that high to draft a playmaker - find ways to let him make plays...period.
    I agree with the premise that if you use a high pick on a guy, try to use him, but at the same time, draft position means nothing when you are out there playing. "But ref, I was a high pick" doesn't hold any weight. If the Rams don't feel comfortable using Austin in certain ways yet, they may have a specific reason. However, you shouldn't throw something at a guy you don't think he can handle yet just because of his draft position.

Let's also not forget Austin's draft position was influenced by guys like Harvin, Jackson, and Cobb who were talented players who dropped due to size concerns, and have since done well. Teams now feel more comfortable taking those types of players early, whereas before they didn't. So the draft position comparison doesn't really mean much from that sense either.
    AvengerRam, HUbison and MauiRam like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

There's truth to what you're saying, but under the current rookie scale, the #8 pick is now much more affordable from a cap standpoint than it was in the past, so that has to be factored as well.
    What about the second round pick and moving back in the third rd to get him?

All very valid points, but never did I say a high draft pick means more when you're out there playing and "but ref, I was a high draft pick" never came into the equation. What I'm saying is that very early on Fisher said they had "big plans" for Tavon and then didn't want to show their cards in preseason. Well, it's time to show the cards. Maybe they do have a specific reason for not using him in certain ways, wheither it be comfort or otherwise but I still contend that if you're going to bring a shiny new gun to a gun fight don't pull out your knives just because you're not sure about your new gun....I'd rather lose with a well concerted effort.... just my opinion that isn't worth much.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What about the second round pick and moving back in the third rd to get him?
    I thought at the time that the Rams may have "overpaid," but I don't think its fair to put that on Austin's shoulders. If he becomse as productive as Steve Smith or Percy Harvin, I won't care that we gave up a draft pick (and, FYI, we moved UP in the 3rd, so the price was really just a 2nd round pick).
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I thought at the time that the Rams may have "overpaid," but I don't think its fair to put that on Austin's shoulders. If he becomse as productive as Steve Smith or Percy Harvin, I won't care that we gave up a draft pick (and, FYI, we moved UP in the 3rd, so the price was really just a 2nd round pick).
    I know we moved back and recouped picks witch was a great move by Les but that's not to be factor in to determine Austin's cost to acquire IMO.

I'm not putting it on Austin just like I don't with Bradford draft spot or cost. I do have to question the Rams lack of a plan on how they have used him in the first five games. All preseason we where lead to believe they had all these plans and plays but where not going to show their hand. Now it appears they did not have anything planned and are just running the same plays DA ran.

Shcotty is clearly on the hot seat IMO. I'm not down on Tavon he has become my latest jersey purchase, think he's is special. The bottom line is Shcotty has three very big investments, Bradford, Cook and Austin in his hands.

If we continue to struggle not saying we will, I have hope as always but if we do. I think Frank Cignetti will replace him next year. We don't have to completely start over but we need to fix this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast