Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tavon's Big Day...But How Many Snaps Did He Get?

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Re: Tavon's Big Day...But How Many Snaps Did He Get?

Last week people were wondering why the Rams even drafted him.
    Now, he can't seem to get enough snaps to satisfy their Tayvon love.
    Trevor likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Post Re: Tavon's Big Day...But How Many Snaps Did He Get?

After this game, it's going to be nearly impossible to justify having him on the sidelines a majority of the snaps. He's proven himself in a major way.

If we're in a close game, it's really hard to see him standing there on the sidelines.

The only two excuses I can imagine are:

1. He's a liability in the run game.
    At this point, who cares. Get him on the field and make defenses respect him whether the plays intended for him or not. He doesn't need to be in every package, but way more than 5-15 snaps a game. I understand Schotty loves pounding the rock with heavy formations, but we just moved up in the first round to get a true play-maker. Figure out ways to get him on the field.

2. He's having trouble learning the playbook.
    I don't buy this one. I haven't seen any evidence of it, but if it's true, dumb it down for him until he figures it out. He basically only runs outs, ins, drags, digs, and go routes anyways. But, like I said, I don't think this is the problem.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -11-11-2013 at 06:38 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Let's clarify. Those people were wondering why the Rams drafted him specifically because he didn't get enough snaps.

And don't we all now have Tavon love?
    THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I understand giving Tavon limited snaps because he's a rookie, and a small fry at that, therefore susceptible to injury in the event of a big hit. I would definitely be worried if Tavon had to run a simple slant route up the middle where a big hitting safety would just hammer him.
    RealRam likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I was wondering why they drafted him if they weren't going to give him snaps and utilize him so that he could succeed.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you on grinding out the short plays, but for the most part this year, defenses have been sitting on the screens and short dump offs to Austin. The minute he makes the catch, they're on him. IMO, he needs to get many more looks downfield to not only set up the kinds of plays we saw yesterday, but to keep defenders from cheating up on his short routes. Once he proves that he is a legitimate deep threat, all the other routes will open up for him, and he'll get the space he needs to perform his magic.

As far as Austin being an every down player, I'm of the thinking that the more touches he gets, the more chances there are for big plays.
    He needs a more diverse tool kit to be an every down player,imo, & some of those tools are difficult to master at his size; getting off jams at the LOS without motion, handfighting en route without messing up route/timing, blocking for the RBs and other WRs, jump balls,etc. Others will come with experience.If speed and acceleration were all that was needed from a WR on a given play, I'd agree that you just let him burn downfield every play but that's not always the case.
    He certainly did get more attention earlier in the season but The Colts clearly didn't feel he was that big of a threat or, probably, that Clemens could get the ball to him if he did get free. I'd bet dollars to donuts that TA won't see single coverage again for a while. Let's see how he deals with it &, perhaps more importantly, if the others can win their single coverage battles to take advantage.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I am fine with limiting the snaps of a player like Tavon when the team has a 30 point lead.

I think I'll file that under "problems I hope we have every week."
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

So you agree he should get more touches, yet they have been cutting his snaps compared to the start of the season, and that's a fairly reasonable manner to you? Seems a bit contradictory.
    Would I LIKE him to get more action? Of course. The bottom line is that he will never be an every down kind of NFL player. He is just not big enough to take that pounding and at this point in his development, the staff must not think he is ready to play a lot more snaps. I find their assessment/handling of the situation "fairly reasonable". Hardly contradictory. It just means I can understand what they are doing with this kid.

The bottom line is, I've never had a complaint about Tavon, although it seems like you think I am complaining about him? I am complaining about Schotty and my fear that he still won't give Tavon more snaps in the future. If Schotty doesn't give the kid more chances, he needs to go.
    I don't think you're complaining about him...not sure where you get that assumption. I am no fan of Schottenheimer...but I can accept the fact that this kid is being brought along gradually. As I stated, his numbers project out to be very solid. I am sure we will begin to see him more as the season winds down. Teams certainly have more of a reason to be worried about him now. Schotty needs to go for far deeper reasons than not rushing this raw rookie into the offense.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    He needs a more diverse tool kit to be an every down player,imo, & some of those tools are difficult to master at his size; getting off jams at the LOS without motion, handfighting en route without messing up route/timing, blocking for the RBs and other WRs, jump balls,etc. Others will come with experience.If speed and acceleration were all that was needed from a WR on a given play, I'd agree that you just let him burn downfield every play but that's not always the case.
    He certainly did get more attention earlier in the season but The Colts clearly didn't feel he was that big of a threat or, probably, that Clemens could get the ball to him if he did get free. I'd bet dollars to donuts that TA won't see single coverage again for a while. Let's see how he deals with it &, perhaps more importantly, if the others can win their single coverage battles to take advantage.
    It'll be interesting to see if the Rams give Austin the opportunity to take it downfield more, as opposed to the short stuff close to the line of scrimmage that never seem to work. IMO, he's shown the ability to get open deep and get behind coverage in the secondary. And it wasn't just against the Colts. He's had several big plays called back because of penalties, several overthrows, and several instances where he wasn't targeted after getting open deep.

Speed kills, and like Victor Cruz and Mike Wallace, that speed gives Austin the ability to exploit a defense and create big play opportunities. I'd really like to see the Rams take advantage of that on a more consistent basis..

And as far as being an every down player, while I don't think he has to be out there every play, I do think he should be on the field more often than not.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I am no fan of Schottenheimer...but I can accept the fact that this kid is being brought along gradually.
    Well the difference is you think Scotty is bringing him along slowly, where I think Schotty just doesn't know how to use him and therefore he gets limited snaps. I suppose we will never know who is right unless Schotty sticks around for a few years, which I don't think will happen.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Well the difference is you think Scotty is bringing him along slowly, where I think Schotty just doesn't know how to use him and therefore he gets limited snaps. I suppose we will never know who is right unless Schotty sticks around for a few years, which I don't think will happen.

We definitely need a more creative offensive coordinator I really don't understand why we never seem to line Austin up in the backfield

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The man just had over 300 yards and 3 TDs in 15 snaps, who cares if he's an every down player or not?

I'll take this game from Tavon Austin over every single game by any WR in the NFL this year, with Megatron's 300 yarder a couple of weeks ago being the only other game in the conversation.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The man just had over 300 yards and 3 TDs in 15 snaps, who cares if he's an every down player or not?

I'll take this game from Tavon Austin over every single game by any WR in the NFL this year, with Megatron's 300 yarder a couple of weeks ago being the only other game in the conversation.
    I'd prefer to see him used judiciously to maintain his impact over the course of a season. Three one hundred yard games over the next six would help the team more than another 300 yarder. Then again, I care more about The Rams winning than mancrushing on a certain player or getting a stat boner over a single game.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'd prefer to see him used judiciously to maintain his impact over the course of a season. Three one hundred yard games over the next six would help the team more than another 300 yarder. Then again, I care more about The Rams winning than mancrushing on a certain player or getting a stat boner over a single game.
    If memory serves me right, I believe the Rams did win their last game, thanks in huge part to Tavon Austin. You picked a bad week to whine sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If memory serves me right, I believe the Rams did win their last game, thanks in huge part to Tavon Austin. You picked a bad week to whine sir.
    Who's whining ? I enjoyed Austin's great plays as much as any Ram fan . I want to see more of them & don't think over-using a rookie who can make plays like that is the right way to get them consistently. It's a criticism I've made regarding Quick as well. I think The Rams have done a mediocre job of bringing along these young WRs & no small part of the problem is trying to make them learn/try to do too much, too quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12