BM_Face is offline Registered User

Team continues to improve in key areas

Pre-season or not, the Ram’s played hard against the first-string units of an elite NFL program. Bradford showed what OU fans have been talking about, and SJax always plays on another level. Losing Avery sucks, but it is obvious that we are capable of running a balanced offence without huge WR concentration. I missed most of the game, but some stats just jump out.

Run D allowed only 28 yards on 11 carries.

30! First downs, 18 of those through passing. Huge stat here, hard to understate the impact of a real threat at QB.

11/17 on 3rd down. That is 64%, who are these guys?

Josh Brown went 3/3. He is feeling better. If he can maintain this, he will win us games this year.

11 players caught passes, that is really spreading it around nicely, and tests our young talent.

Balanced play calling on offense-- 41/41. Unlike the Pats, we were successful while still getting looks on the ground and through the air, and we forced them to play a one-dimensional game.

3/5 in the Red Zone. One of our biggest weaknesses for the past several years.

Time of possession indicates just what it is like playing from a lead. The Pats had to go long just to get back in the game, and neglected the run. There were acting like a team that really wanted the win.

Pundits agree that the third pre-season game is often the most telling; most teams back off in the fourth game and go very vanilla in prepping for the start of the regular season. It might be easy to put too much stock on what the Ram’s brought to the field against the Pats, but you would have to be blind to miss the improvement in key areas. There are still positions where we need added talent, but this team is learning that it can compete. I am getting up on this team!

Any given Sunday. GoRams!

A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: Team continues to improve in key areas

Also to add to your statement about the pats really wanting to win, Tom "daddys lips" Brady stayed pretty late in the game considering, if in not mistaken, our 2nd stringers went in after halftime. Yeah, id say they didnt want to settle for a loss...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think it needs to be noted that this is a pretty young Patsy defense. They really miss Ty Warren and Seymour up front, among others. Solid job, though, by the OL in the run game. There's always going to be a drop off when SJ leaves the game but The Rams managed to get positive yards on almost every carry.

I really liked what I saw from the run defense-both from the DL and the support from the LBs and DBs. Great to see Fletcher back. He had a couple of very good tackles and a pass break-up on Moss.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    Also to add to your statement about the pats really wanting to win, Tom "daddys lips" Brady stayed pretty late in the game considering, if in not mistaken, our 2nd stringers went in after halftime. Yeah, id say they didnt want to settle for a loss...
    They better not settle for that loss, lol, because they knew that it would have looked bad ,which it did anyway! I really dont know what belicheat and brady and co were trying to prove but it didn't look good out there; having moss, brady and I THINK welker deep into the preseason game like that, albeit dress rehearsal, against our second units? Not exactly a smart move by the Pats for doing that and it just shows you how desperate they were to win the game. Real low down dirty shame. I cant remember the last time a coach even did that .... if ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think it needs to be noted that this is a pretty young Patsy defense. They really miss Ty Warren and Seymour up front, among others. Solid job, though, by the OL in the run game. There's always going to be a drop off when SJ leaves the game but The Rams managed to get positive yards on almost every carry.
    It IS a young and up and coming defense , just like ours. They do miss those players and it has showed in the last year or two. Remember when the Pats were known for stingy D, especially in the snowy weather? When was the last time that you've seen the PAts dominate on D? Its been a while now, Azule y Oro, and its probably going to continue to be like that for another couple of years. And during those years, the Pats OFFENSE was never as good as it is now. So basically their defense has deteriorated and their offense has bolstered. They can no longer stop the run or pass effectively, they dont have much pass rush, Ron Brace and wilfork will solidify the inside but other than that you cant always depend on guys like Gary Guyton, Tully banta cain, brandon meriweather and the likes of other young players. They are good players but they will still take their lumps of learning from good old fashioned cut hip. We will not be the only team putting up 36 points on them.

I really liked what I saw from the run defense-both from the DL and the support from the LBs and DBs. Great to see Fletcher back. He had a couple of very good tackles and a pass break-up on Moss.
    ThAT WAS EXCELLENT to see. good run D all game will make the other team one dimensional, especially a team like them that mostly passes anyway . I was also ecstatic to see Bradley Fletcher playing good aggressive man press coverage on Moss, frustrating his night and keeping him at bay. That is some nice stuff for our defense, guys. Corners who can play physical at the LOS alongside Ron Bartell.
    Last edited by rNemesis; -08-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I just watch this afternoons replay. I was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED that the officials allowed the RAMS to play on a level playing field. You could see the absolute frustration on bilacheat's face as legitimate penalties were called against his team. He isn't used to that. The only call I felt the officials blew was the pass interference on the play that Avery got injured. The DB didn't even try to play the ball. Fortunately a roughing the passer still gave us the first down.

The officiating crew must have lost some money on the cheatroit's suposed win in SB36, as we got away with a few offensive holding (of course so were the patsies) and an intentional grounding.

I too couldn't believe belicheat took the chance of injury to his starters, well into the 4th, just to win a preseason game. I will say that I saw it coming. Right before going to a break, the look on his face as the RAMS held his 1st team scoreless showed he wasn't going to lose to the RAMs.

It was good to see this win, and Thad looked like he could really be a #2.

gap

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I just watch this afternoons replay. I was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED that the officials allowed the RAMS to play on a level playing field. You could see the absolute frustration on bilacheat's face as legitimate penalties were called against his team. He isn't used to that. The only call I felt the officials blew was the pass interference on the play that Avery got injured. The DB didn't even try to play the ball. Fortunately a roughing the passer still gave us the first down.

The officiating crew must have lost some money on the cheatroit's suposed win in SB36, as we got away with a few offensive holding (of course so were the patsies) and an intentional grounding.

I too couldn't believe belicheat took the chance of injury to his starters, well into the 4th, just to win a preseason game. I will say that I saw it coming. Right before going to a break, the look on his face as the RAMS held his 1st team scoreless showed he wasn't going to lose to the RAMs.

It was good to see this win, and Thad looked like he could really be a #2.

gap
    I think Sam got a break on that intentional grounding call as well, to be honest. There was no one within a mile...lol...I'd have been incensed if that had been Brady.

On the other hand, I think Hooma ( or was it Fendi?) got screwed out of a TD. No way did he step out of bounds. And what was up with the white sideline stripe? It looked like it had been repainted about 3 times. Guess the grounds crew hit the Sam Adams summer ale a little early.Joking aside, that could have been significant if Toston hadn't plowed it in on the next play; another guy, incidentally, who didn't hurt his chances of making the team in that game,imo.

I actually agree with the Patsy fan in the game thread; I think Brady staying in had more to do with the number of snaps or , more to the sore point,the lack of them , than the score. More of a punishment for the first string patsy offense,imo, than anything; don't think they weren't aware of who they were playing against. That's a major pecking order diss from your coach to put you out against the twos and threes of another team.

rNemesis: I totally agree about the Pats D. This rebuild has been Darth Hoodie's pet project for the last couple of
    seasons- lots of green high picks on that unit- which just makes this de-pantsing extra sweet...hehehe.

I think they will be good,too, but inconsistency is the hallmark of young squads as we know only too well. I really am interested to see how our team plays next week with that in mind. I'm sure The Ravens will sit a lot of starters but The Rams won't be taken lightly like they so clearly were by NE.

I wonder how much of Belichick's legacy is going to be undermined in the next year or two when Patsy folk come to realize how much the GM had to do with their dynasty, not the Evil One alone.....bummer....ditto hehehe
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-28-2010 at 03:49 AM.