Thread: Team notes

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Team notes

Rams coach Scott Linehan downplayed the kind of immediate impact that veteran Eddie Kennison could have on the team’s receiving corps.

“It does not eliminate our young players from the mix,’’ Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Kennison’s signing. “It’s more about insurance.’’

Linehan said he sees Kennison’s role on Sunday against the New York Giants being that of a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver.

“The realism of him playing would be in a role somewhat similar to what a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver would have,’’ Linehan said. “It is realistic that he will be available for this Sunday.’’

With wide receiver Drew Bennett sidelined for at least a month with a broken bone in his foot, Linehan said Dane Looker and rookie Keenan Burton will have their roles increased.

Looker has caught only seven passes over the last three seasons. He had 23 catches for 237 yards in 2005, but he played almost exclusively on special teams over the next two seasons.

“Dane’s reliability and knowledge of the offense and flexibility, being able to do pretty anything, gives him an edge on some of the other guys as far as being able to go in there and handle everything you throw at him,’’ Linehan said.

Burton, a fourth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, has yet to catch a pass in the NFL, but he showed a lot of promise in the preseason.

“He gives us some size and speed that we really need on the outside at this point,’’ Linehan said. “He brings young kind of element that we have been wanting around here for a while.’’

Rookie wide receiver Donnie Avery, a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, was able to participate in practice on Wednesday. Linehan is cautiously optimistic about Avery, who has been sidelined with a strained MCL in his knee, being available against the Giants.

“We are trying not to be overly impatient about,’’ Linehan said of Avery. “We don’t want to push him out there too fast. He’s the kind of guy who pushes himself almost too hard anyway. You almost have to pull back the reigns back on him.

“He went out there and showed a lot more promise not only as far as his potential might be for this game, but for sure the next game.’’

Bennett walked into the Rams’ locker room on Wednesday with the help of crutches. He said he’s foot will be in a cast for 3-4 weeks.

“They tell me 4-6 weeks,’’ Bennett said of how long he’ll be sidelined. “Hopefully, it will be four or five (games) with the bye week.’’

Bennett was injured after making a 4-yard catch on the Rams’ sixth offensive play of the season.

“I got my toe stuck in the turf, and with the weight of the guys tackling me coming back at a funny angle, I just had nowhere to go,’’ Bennett said.

Bennett broke the fourth metatarsal bone in his foot.

“I knew something had happened,’’ Bennett said. “I felt it pop in my foot, and I wasn’t sure if it was a tendon or what. My foot went numb pretty quick. I wasn’t sure what it was, but I knew something was wrong.

“It sucks. There are more important things in this world than a broken foot, but it is not easy, especially coming in wanting to have a big season and wanting to help this team win. On the third play of the season to go down like this is very disappointing.

-- Defensive end Leonard Little and left guard Jacob Bell didn’t participate in practice on Wednesday. Both players sustained hamstring injuries last Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.
    Bell said he thought he’d be able to play against the Giants, but if he can’t, his likely replacement is Adam Goldberg.

-- Running back Travis Minor had limited participation on practice on Wednesday due to a strained groin.

-- Punter Donnie Jones didn’t take part in practice due to a bruised knee.

-- Rookie defensive end Chris Long was able to practice with his left hand heavily to protect his broken pinkie finger.

krist042 is offline Registered User

Re: Team notes

Great, we over-punted our punter.

I am actually excited to see Burton, Looker, Kennison, and hopefully Avery. I think there is a lot of potential in that WR set, and that's disregarding Torry Holt.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I like Avory's *Go get it attitude*. We need that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    I like Avory's *Go get it attitude*. We need that.
    Good post. So is the one above your's.

Holt was double covered for the most part against the Eagles. With Avery back, it will open the field for other receivers to get open and get the pass.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Good post. So is the one above your's.

Holt was double covered for the most part against the Eagles. With Avery back, it will open the field for other receivers to get open and get the pass.
    Avery is so fast, that the camera can't catch him running. I love this kid, and if he is healthy, he should be playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Exactly. Avery has that speed we need. This opens up Burton, Holt, McMichael. This also gets Jackson into the mix also.

Get him on the field Linehan.