Team Report: Notes and Quotes

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
--Rookie G Claude Terrell is back on the practice field after suffering a neck injury Oct. 23 against New Orleans. Terrell, who had moved into the starting lineup at left guard, missed the Oct. 30 game against Jacksonville.

He said the bye week helped him get healthy.

"I feel fine," Terrell said. "My body got to rest for a week. I felt a little rusty out there today (Monday) though. Just being out of the game for even a week, you feel like your timing and stuff is not there, but I'll get some good work in here at practice, make sure the neck is ready to go and try to go to Seattle and get a big win."

Terrell said had he had neck in a different position when the injury occurred, he probably would have been out for the rest of the season.

"The doctor said if my head would have been down, I would have been done," he said. "It's a good thing I had my head the way it was, because if I would have had my head straight down, I probably would have been done. That's how hard I got hit, and if my head would have been straight down, he said it would have been bad.

"I tried to try it out in practice, and I took a helmet-to-helmet hit and knocked my head back a little bit, and it re-aggravated it. That's all I do for four quarters. I'm in the trenches and it's hand-to-hand combat for 60 minutes. I'm just trying to continue and strengthen that area and rehab it, so I'll be ready to go at Seattle."

--During the bye week, kicker Jeff Wilkins signed a new four-year contract worth $6.4 million that includes a $3 million signing bonus. Wilkins' base salary will be $800,000 from 2006-2008 and $1 million in 2009. His base salary of $1.2 million this season, plus a $150,000 bonus for being on the roster for all 16 games stays the same. He would have been an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Said Wilkins, "It feels great, obviously, to know that the Rams wanted me back. Our relationship has been great. Obviously, there is no other place that I wanted to go or even worry about trying at the end of the year. It's wonderful for my family and I'm real appreciative to the Rams and the whole organization."

He acknowledged that until talks began, he wasn't sure what the Rams were thinking.

"It's just one of those deals that, with the kicker, it's always in the back of your mind going into the last year," he said. "You never know what's going to happen. You hope you start out strong and hope that they want to deal with you, but I was trying not to think about it too much and just go out and do what I do and see what happens at the end of the year. Fortunately, it didn't have to go that far."

Looking back on a 2002 season in which he struggled, and started changing shoes and even kicking without a shoe at one point, Wilkins said, "I was probably one kick away from being cut a couple of different years. Fortunately, God willing I was able to make that next kick and get back in the groove. It's like golf, sometimes you go out there and you have got it and some days you just don't have it. It's just a matter of trying to keep a good balance."

As his numbers increase, Wilkins tries to avoid thinking about those things.

He said, "I used to, back four or five years ago, look at numbers and see where I am and now I don't even do that. I don't want to get caught up in that. I'm just here to do my part to help the team win, and whenever I start doing that, you're starting to think individual, and I don't like that.

"Hopefully, when I'm said and done, I'll be able to look back and be proud of what I did. As a kicker, you kind of go game-to-game and year-to-year, and that's kind of how I do it. Even though I've been around for 12 years, I still kind of feel that way."

--Quarterback Marc Bulger feels rejuvenated after missing two games with a shoulder injury and then having the bye week to further rest. But he is also obviously glad the Rams were able to win the last two games with Jamie Martin at quarterback. There had been some thought of playing Bulger for the Oct. 30 against Jacksonville before the bye.

Said Bulger, "You're more nervous watching the game than actually being out there. It was a nerve-wracking two games. ... Since we won, I feel 100 percent that we made the right decision in sitting out. If we were losing, I could sit here and say: 'What if? I should've played.'"

BY THE NUMBERS: 1 - Practice rookie C Richie Incognito had after his practice period began while on the non-football injury list. The third-round pick signed on Sept. 29 after rehabbing a knee that was injured in the off-season. He began practicing Oct. 20, an odd decision considering one of the weeks in his 21-day window was the team's bye week. Incognito also missed the second week because of his grandfather's illness. He now remains on reserve/NFI for the rest of the season.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I did have some doughnuts, I absolutely did. I was telling Adam (Timmerman) that was the hardest week of my life. I'm ready to get back to work. My wife had the four kids at home, so she had a long list of things for me to do. The girls are both one year old next week, so I changed a lot of diapers and tried to give (my wife) a little break. I respect what she has to do every day a lot more now." - C Andy McCollum on what he did during the Rams' bye week.