stlouy is offline Registered User

Exclamation Team wonders about fans

I posted this in the *articles* section but thought I'd post it here also for some who may not read the other sections....

By Jeff Gordon
    Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
    01/17/2002 01:22 PM

Have Rams fans gotten spoiled? Are they coming into the Building Formerly Known As The Trans World Dome with a complacent attitude?

Have they gotten soft with all this winning? Have they forgotten all the bad football they watched over the years, or that dark period when there was no pro football at all?

The Rams are wondering. The fellas felt some disappointment when Rams fans failed to disrupt Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning back on Dec. 30. He was able to step to the line scrimmage and call plays after eyeballing the Rams defense.

Rams coach Martz had made a point of asking fans to get loud when Manning got up to the line . . . but still there wasn't much of a roar. And come to think of it, there wasn't much electricity for the home-field clinching victory over Atlanta, either.

Receiver Ricky Proehl hopes the atmosphere will change dramatically Sunday afternoon during the epic showdown against the Green Bay Packers. When fans scream their guts out inside a dome, they can energize the home team and rattle the visitor.

"It's very important," Proehl said during a news conference Thursday. "I hope the fans are listening in St. Louis. I'm hoping they get loud again like they did in '99, because the last couple of weeks, Indianapolis and Atlanta, they weren't a factor at all.

"As a player, that's disappointing, because I think they've gotten complacent. It's so hard to win in this league, even when you're playing the Colts, Falcons, when people expect that we can run through them. We did do that, but it helps when you get the fans behind you. I hope that this playoff game Sunday they'll be like they were in '99."

Dexter McCleon said Proehl's assessment was widely shared on the team. The 'C' word has been uttered in the locker room. "We expected it to be a little louder, especially the Indy game because Mike (Martz) sort of asked the crowd if they could be a little louder because Peyton likes to do a lot of checking off and everything.

"But it's playoff time now. You don't have to ask them to be loud. We expect them to be loud.

We expect the place to be rocking. But we need it. We need every little bit of advantage we can get right now. It's do or die now. We need them. I hope they realize that."

If Rams fans don't throw themselves into this game, then the Packers fans that are buying up tickets for this game will have some impact. Many of the yuppies among us have capitulated and either sold tickets to their Cheesehead friends or peddled the ducats to the brokers.

We'll see lots of green in the Dome. Wisconsin is planning an invasion. "One thing I will say, when I was in Chicago, Green Bay has great fans," Proehl said. "Even when we were the opposing team, they treat you with respect. It's not like going to New York or Philadelphia or Oakland.

"You know they'll be there. They love their team, they love the Packers. I will expect there to be some Packers fans there.

"Like I said, I hope our crowd pumps it up and we can hear it."

So does this bureau. This region has a once-in-a-lifetime NFL team representing it. This once-in-a-lifetime team is about to play a Game For The Ages against the very exciting Packers. If the Rams didn't exist, the Packers would be the heavy favorite to win it all this winter.

This could be one of the most exciting games ever staged in this city. We hope this expectation will fire up the populace.

Maybe St. Louisans should follow Kurt Warner's lead this week and save their voices. Perhaps they should stick to hand signals. Ticket holders should let their significant others do the jabbering for them for a few days.

Sunday will bring an opportunity for each ticket holder to join the championship quest. This will be their chance to join "The Greatest Show on Turf."

The Rams believe they are ready to meet the very stiff Packers challenge. But they have to wonder: Are the fans ready to do the same?***

Go RAMS!!!

:lid: :shield: :lid:

http//members.fortunecity.comramsfanatic/rams15.jpg

radjohns is offline Registered User

Interesting

I am a rams fan living in Canada and I have never been to the dome. Games on tv don't always relay the true volume of the crowd. I thought the rams fams were loud, so I was a little surprised by this article.

What are st.louis fans like in general? I know that the city has a reptuation as a baseball town, but are the cardinals fans fickle? Or, are they there through thick and thin? From watching Hockey games it seems that Blues fans are pretty devoted and loud. Am I wrong about that? Does anyone care to answer my questions?

Thanks in advance.

Go rams!!!

majorram is offline Registered User
    Okay I think we have got a little spoilt over the last few years but this is PLAYOFF TIME BABY AND THE DOME IS GOING TO BE ROCKING COME SUNDAY

I can hardly wait and it's only thursday YOU'LL HEAR ME SHOUTING FROM ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lid: GO RAMS

RealRam is online now Registered User

Thumbs up Get it ON!!!

From what I've heard, St. Louis has great and true fans in all of their sports teams. But you're right Majorram, now is the time to rock the house and make some real noise!

Let's get it on!! GO RAAAAMS!!! :angryram:

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    Come on St.Louis!Make some noise!The team is asking for the attending fans help so give it to them.Look at what this team has done for us.They have played their a$$es off.I wish I had the money to go to a game,but unfortunately I dont.If the crowd isnt in to the game Sunday I will be very shocked.So for all who are in attendance:YELL,YELL,AND YELL SOMEMORE!IT'S THE PLAYOFFS!

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
    Last edited by Aries51; -01-17-2002 at 08:16 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Our team is worried about the noise? not to worried about the Packers D I see. Hmmmm. C'mon guys, just concentrate on the game. The fans will be there. Yes they are a little spoiled right now, but they have the right to be. They suffered through several losings seasons prior to the Days of Deliverance of 1999. They are behind you, it was just a little tough maybe for games against the Colts and Falcons even though it meant quite a bit. You have your own success to thank Rams, your undefeated road record has given us comfort. We love you at home guys, but you have our trust also on the road. Thats huge for a team also to know that your fans GUARANTEE a road win every week. This game means alot, and its the Packers. You won't be able to hear yourself think, trust me.

:lid:

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    In all seriousness,I think the team is just making a rallying cry.I get the feeling that the Rams are psyched for this game and they want the dome to be rockin.I cant see the fans being laid back during this game.There is too much at stake.In all honesty,the only game where I thought the crowd was way too silent was the Monday night game against the Bucs.But then again I was drinking a bit.

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
    Last edited by Aries51; -01-18-2002 at 12:49 AM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

RMFN is offline Registered User
    Section 402 Row PP will be rocking, Now if we can just get the lower bowl to get up and get rowdy