Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

In terms of fines, Redskins just as 'dirty' as Rams

3 hours ago • BY JIM THOMAS

Robert Griffin III's comments earlier in the week notwithstanding, the Washington Redskins were at least as "dirty" as the Rams when it came to fines stemming from last week's 31-28 victory by St. Louis.

Two Redskins and two Rams were fined in the game, with the fines for each side adding up to $23,625. The breakdown:

• Rams DE Robert Quinn was fined $7,875 for unnecessary roughness in the first quarter.

• Rams CB Janoris Jenkins was fined $15,750 for unnecessary roughness, on the fourth quarter play in which he clobbered a defenseless Washington receiver, TE Fred Davis.

• Washington LB Lorenzo Alexander was fined $15,750 for a horse collar tackle on Rams punt returner Danny Amendola in the fourth quarter.

• Washington WR Josh Morgan was fined $7,875 for unsportsmanlike conduct, the critical late-game play in which he fired the football at Rams CB Cortland Finnegan and took the Redskins out of field goal range.

It should be noted that RB Steven Jackson was not fined for spiking the football after what he thought was a TD in the second quarter — a play that resulted in a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

And Eugene Sims was not fined for shoving Griffin out off bounds on a sideline run, a play that resulted in a 15-yard personal foul penalty.

Griffin had accused Rams players of "dirty" and "unprofessional" play.

Re: In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

Looks like those expecting a fine against Jenkins were right. I just did not see an illegal play, but the NFL is obviously making an example of hits that look bad, regardless of whether they break the rules or not.

After seeing the Golden Tate block on Sean Lee that was completely clean (video posted in thread on that hit), it's apparent that the NFL is "evolving" on the entire "defenseless" interpretation. As I mentioned in the Tate/Lee thread, how does an NFL QB being blindsided not fall under this new interpretation? Is there any player more "defenseless" than a QB getting blasted on his blindside?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But how can this be? If it wasn't "dirty" play that won this game for the Rams, it must have been........but it couldn't be............talent, game plan, and execution?

No, surely that's not what beat the greatest QB to ever pick up a football?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bing69 is offline Registered User

In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

I agree, the Tate one was a perfectly legal block, and a block I personally love to see! If it was Lee taking out Tate after he caught a ball from his blindside people would have been saying it was great tackle etc. This isn't ballet, its football, people need to keep their head on a swivel, its a physical game!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

These fines are ridiculous!!!! This is "tackle" football for crying out loud!
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    These fines are ridiculous!!!! This is "tackle" football for crying out loud!
    Apparently, it's not. Now, it's make sure the guy you're going to hit is ready for it before making any contact. Forget about players having any sense of what's going on around them..........

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Would helping a teammate pay a fine constitute pay for play/ bounty system? I say all the defense pitch in for each others fines. I'm looking at you Mr Long, Mr Finnegan, and Mr Laurinaitis.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Still reeeeeally and honestly, I don't see JJenkin's HIT as "unnecessary roughness". ¡No señor!
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Were those hits really necessary?

<em>

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Why in the world is the word "dirty" being thrown around with such abandon. "Dirty" to me is when you try to maim someone. Blantantly trying to take them out of the game.! I didn't see any hits of this nature in the Redskins game. It was only a bit of rough and tumble. Those players complaining, like RG111. Well. he has just made the biggest mistake of his young life. Schoolboy error on his part.
    jsimcox likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I, too, love big hits. Dished out a few myself when I played safety in high school. But the game has evolved. The players are too fast, too big and too strong. There is too much money at stake for players if they miss time or heaven forbid can't win their jobs back due to injury. The fan in me says "let's play football the way its always been played". The intelligent person in me says "we can't allow reckless play which puts players in jeopardy. It's a tough balance for everyone from officials to players to fans.

The minute I saw the Jenkins hit I said "he's getting fined". Wasn't even a question in my mind. Makes no difference if it wasn't hemet to helmet- he led with his shoulder and Davis went down the way a guy goes down when he's dazed or out cold. Right or wrong, it's gonna' draw a fine every time.

This topic has been beaten to death, and Rams fans have been vindicated in that we are right in asserting the Rams weren't any more culpable than the Redskins in terms of hits. It's over and done. On to Chicago- and you can expect another intense physical battle.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

This topic has been beaten to death, and Rams fans have been vindicated in that we are right in asserting the Rams weren't any more culpable than the Redskins in terms of hits. It's over and done. On to Chicago- and you can expect another intense physical battle.
    Just imagine the media coverage if Tebow had called us dirty!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

The minute I saw the Jenkins hit I said "he's getting fined". Wasn't even a question in my mind. Makes no difference if it wasn't hemet to helmet- he led with his shoulder and Davis went down the way a guy goes down when he's dazed or out cold. Right or wrong, it's gonna' draw a fine every time.
    This year might be different, based on the officiating it might not be, but the above statement is not true when hitting a RAMS player. How many times did we see Bradford take a hit last year, a hit that should have been 15 yards on the field, that wasn't fined. In one or two cases, the league addressed that hit specifically and said it wasn't worthy of a penalty or fine. And that is just hits on Bradford that came after a pass or slide. Never mind the hits on Jackson or our WRs.

Yes, on to Chicago. Let's hope this is another opprtunity for the RAMS to show mental toughness, and bring home a win. Better yet would be a win that would never be in question, and the starters can rest the 4th QTR.

gap
    Last edited by gap; -09-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

These fines are getting ridiculous. I mean, honestly, the fine on Morgan seems like the most absurd. He didn't cause any harm at all. He just threw the ball at Jenkins. It was unsporting, and it cost his team the game. Does that really require a monetary penalty on top?

I tend to agree that if a player appears to be deliberately trying to hurt other people out there or is playing in a reckless and dangerous manner, such as leading with the helmet, the league can penalize that kind of thing. Throwing a clean hit on a receiver who has possession of the football and is running right at you shouldn't draw a fine.
    DE_Ramfan and jsimcox like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    These fines are getting ridiculous. I mean, honestly, the fine on Morgan seems like the most absurd. He didn't cause any harm at all. He just threw the ball at Jenkins. It was unsporting, and it cost his team the game. Does that really require a monetary penalty on top?

I tend to agree that if a player appears to be deliberately trying to hurt other people out there or is playing in a reckless and dangerous manner, such as leading with the helmet, the league can penalize that kind of thing. Throwing a clean hit on a receiver who has possession of the football and is running right at you shouldn't draw a fine.
    You do remember that NFL doesn't stand for National Football League, right? It's the No Fun League.

In most cases, I would agree you should be fined for throwing the football at another player. It may not hurt them, but it is extremely unprofessional, and the best way to discourage it is to hit them in the pocketbook. Would you throw the ball knowing it would cost you thousands of dollars? Probably not.

That said, Morgan was also already pretty severely punished by knowing he cost his team the game. It's rare one penalty can have such a large impact on the game. All-in-all, I'd say that was punishment enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast