Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: In Terms Of Fines, Redskins Just As 'Dirty' As Rams

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    • Rams CB Janoris Jenkins was fined $15,750 for unnecessary roughness, on the fourth quarter play in which he clobbered a defenseless Washington receiver, TE Fred Davis.
    Worth every penny

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    But the game has evolved. The players are too fast, too big and too strong. There is too much money at stake for players if they miss time or heaven forbid can't win their jobs back due to injury. The fan in me says "let's play football the way its always been played". The intelligent person in me says "we can't allow reckless play which puts players in jeopardy. It's a tough balance for everyone from officials to players to fans
    What about QB's getting plastered by a vilolent blindside hit? Probably no more dangerous play in all of football. Do you see the hypocracy? If the NFL is going to limit hits based on a player being "defenseless", why not do something about blindside hits?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The minute I saw the Jenkins hit I said "he's getting fined". Wasn't even a question in my mind. Makes no difference if it wasn't hemet to helmet- he led with his shoulder and Davis went down the way a guy goes down when he's dazed or out cold. Right or wrong, it's gonna' draw a fine every time.
    You're right on all counts. But you know what, it's a shame that's the way things are, because it creates complete ambiguity in the game, and how it's played. When a player makes a good, clean hit within the rules, is not penalized, but then gets fined, the entire system is broken.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Honestly, I didn't know you could get a fine for a horse collar tackle...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    What about QB's getting plastered by a vilolent blindside hit? Probably no more dangerous play in all of football. Do you see the hypocracy? If the NFL is going to limit hits based on a player being "defenseless", why not do something about blindside hits?

You're right on all counts. But you know what, it's a shame that's the way things are, because it creates complete ambiguity in the game, and how it's played. When a player makes a good, clean hit within the rules, is not penalized, but then gets fined, the entire system is broken.
    You raise a good point about the blindside hits. I don't know what the solution is. You can't very well ask the right defensive end to not hit the QB when he's rushing from the backside of a righty QB. I guess the answer the league would have is that while a blindside hit has the potential to cause injury, it is not a dirty play, and it is the QB's responsibility to sense the pressure, step up or get rid of the football.

As you said, there's no question the rules are ambiguous and many times open to different interpretation. And it doesn't help matters any when you have replacement refs out there.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

...It's a shame that's the way things are, because it creates complete ambiguity in the game, and how it's played. When a player makes a good, clean hit within the rules, is not penalized, but then gets fined, the entire system is broken.

Absolutely outrageous and silly to fine Jenkins on that terrific hit! It is a contradiction to clean, good and hard played pro football.

This ambituity you speak of, the way I see it, is a dilemma within defensive coaches and players ... refraining from HITTING HARD when that is the very nature of the game. Safety rules, sure, I'm all for it (face mask, clipping, etc., etc.). But sometimes those penalties simply suck the strength away from legitimate American football.

I hope JJenkins and company of Rams are not phased by such an injustice and are not affected by diminishing their will to HIT.

citr92 is offline Registered User

first off, it's bad enough that the players don't feel the hit as much as they should, looking at the hitter here, pain is important, and FEELING the hit is important,

unfortunately, these pads today that involve hard materials that amplify the force of the hit, force doesn't stop it WILL continue until it can't go through something anymore, especially when someone can't feel the hit

you can't sit here and tell me you would tackle someone with your face to his face leaning with your head, just not logical, if they AT LEAST did some tackling without pads they'd be able to learn better technique based on what their BODY TELLS THEM

hard nosed football is one thing, but it bugs when people tackle in ways their body would normally tell them not to, but since they can't feel the hit, the body is basically playing "blind"

i can't type all of what i want to say on the matter, i'd rather be in person but i can't lol

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I can't believe the NFL overlooked Dunbar holding the RB down longer than appreciated. Absolute disgrace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12