Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Terrell is eager to play next to Pace

Terrell is eager to play next to Pace
    Recent draft pick is nicknamed 'Big C'
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams rookie guard Claude Terrell has been known as the "Big C" since he was a youngster.

Terrell even has the nickname tattooed onto his right bicep.

"I was always bigger than all the other kids," Terrell said. "They have been calling me 'Big C' since elementary school."

Terrell was so big that he was kicked out of youth football program in LaMarque, Texas, for being over the weight limit.

"I only got to play two years of little league football because the weight limit was 130 and I was like 150 or so," Terrell said. "I didn't get to play organized football after I was 9 until like the seventh grade. I took like three or four years off."

Terrell's sheer size made him dangerous to the other players. "I guess they didn't want me to fall on anybody," Terrell said.

That's when Terrell switched sports, concentrating on basketball instead of football.

"I couldn't make weight, so I had to work on my hoop dreams," Terrell said. "Basketball was my first love until I started growing horizontally instead of vertically. I have a football body and not a basketball body."

Terrell played small forward on the LaMarque High School basketball team.

Asked if he could dunk the ball, the 6-foot-2 Terrell said, "I used to be able to dunk back in the day. I'm too heavy now. Gravity brings me down too quick."

Terrell now weighs 343 pounds, making him the heaviest guy on the Rams' roster.

The Rams, seeing Terrell's potential as a drive blocker, took the New Mexico senior in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL draft last weekend.

"He's just a big wide-body, a real stout guy," Rams offensive line coach John Benton said. "He's a real powerful drive blocker. He pulls well."

Rams offensive line coach John Matsko said Rams running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery discovered Terrell during a campus workout.

"Wilbert Montgomery went out there for a workout and he really fell in love with this kid," Matsko said. "He came back and championed him real well. Then John and I really did a lot of research on him, and our scouts were real high on him as well."

Terrell took part in his first practices with the Rams on Friday during the team's rookie minicamp.

Terrell said his first glimpse of the Rams' complex offense was a real eye-opener.

"I think we have a total of 35 protections, and we've only learned seven so far," Terrell said. "We still have 28 to go in two days."

Terrell said he had only five protections to learn at New Mexico.

"I am already way past what we had at New Mexico," Terrell said. "As soon as I got off the plane, I went into a meeting. It's been full speed ahead since I got here. We've been getting a crash course in the offense. I hear the Rams have a playbook as big as anybody in the NFL."

The Big C has been assigned a locker right next to the man sometimes called, "Big O," Rams Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace.

"That's going to be cool," Terrell said of having Pace as a locker room neighbor. "When I was growing up and he was at Ohio State, I wanted to be like Orlando Pace.

"Now I'm sitting next him, and they have me penciled in at left guard, so if I crack the lineup, I'll be blocking next to him."

Terrell played guard his first three seasons at New Mexico, but moved to left tackle as a senior. He said the move enabled him to hone his pass blocking skills as he helped the Lobos offense generate 3,576 yards.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Terrell is eager to play next to Pace

This guy not only comes with size he brings an attitude! He was a great pickup. He's got a nasty streak that will be more than welcome in the rotation. I like what I see coming on the OL this year and next.

This season should turn out to be a very good year. One of our best in a long time. Give ALL of our new acquisitions that make the team a year under their belt to learn our systems and the 2006 season is shaping up to be our best year since 1999 IMHO.

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:
    Last edited by viper; -04-30-2005 at 08:46 PM.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I dont know anything about this guy,but from your posts? luv'em already lets get him in the mix and relish in his mojo
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

ramstiles is online now Registered User

The more I read about our O Linemen the more excited I get the weak spot on Offense has been addressed and I think manning better watch out bulger will score more TD than he did last year

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Terrell said his first glimpse of the Rams' complex offense was a real eye-opener.

"I think we have a total of 35 protections, and we've only learned seven so far," Terrell said. "We still have 28 to go in two days."

Terrell said he had only five protections to learn at New Mexico.

"I am already way past what we had at New Mexico," Terrell said. "As soon as I got off the plane, I went into a meeting. It's been full speed ahead since I got here. We've been getting a crash course in the offense. I hear the Rams have a playbook as big as anybody in the NFL."
    Yup, the Ram's offense is complex. 35 protection plans is a lot to remember.

Bulger should be very happy to have these guys brought in for his protection.

I hope they are working on some running plays also. It can't be all about protections, or can it? I guess it could. This is Martz's offense. He tends to be all about passing with a tiny afterthought left for running the ball.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramstiles is online now Registered User

I think martz will run the ball more this year he got away from the run when the oline were not able to make holes it will change this year