chipperjones is offline Registered User

Terrell seeks turnaround

Rams' Terrell seeks turnaround
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/10/2007

To understand the capricious nature of life in the NFL, one need look no further than the Rams' Claude Terrell.

In May 2006, Terrell was coming off an encouraging rookie year in which he started 10 games at left guard and seemed to be recovering on schedule from wrist surgery in the offseason.

In May 2007, Terrell is seeking to mend a rocky relationship with his head coach while also trying to elbow his way into the pecking order on a young and promising offensive line.

"It's another challenge," Terrell said during a break in organized team activities (OTAs), which got under way this week at Rams Park. "I'm looking at it like a rookie year all over again."

Terrell, a fourth-round draft pick from New Mexico, needed only four days of training camp two summers ago to earn a promotion to the first unit.

Tom Nutten, signed out of retirement in late July, started the first five games at left guard. But Terrell was in the lineup for all but one game the rest of the way.

Terrell, who was injured in November, played out the season with his right wrist in a brace and had surgery in January 2006 to repair torn ligaments and cartilage. The pain returned on the second day of training camp, though, and he missed the season.

"I rushed back, and it never got the proper rest it needed to heal," said Terrell, 25. "A lot of people don't understand that my wrist to me is just like (Steven Jackson's) knee is to him. It's like a running back tearing his ACL."

Coach Scott Linehan, who succeeded Mike Martz in January 2006, approved Terrell's request to return to his home in Houston. Linehan said it was his understanding that while there, Terrell would have further surgery.

But a second operation, Terrell explained, never was a good option.

"I went to see one of the best wrist doctors in the country, and he was like, 'You don't need surgery, you just need rest.'"

Terrell said Dr. Evan Collins also told him that another operation "could possibly be career-ending. That was a no-brainer, once he said that. I mean, career-ending. ... I'm just getting my start."

That news didn't reach Linehan until December, and he reacted bitterly, questioning Terrell's overall commitment to the team. The two have discussed the situation, Terrell has been participating in the team's voluntary offseason workouts, and Linehan reports significant progress.

"It's been quite impressive," Linehan said. "He's been working very hard since he's been back, and his focus is on competing and making the team. ... I'm always going to be open to a person's newfound motivation, and (his) is much better than it was. It's been a 180 to this point."

Still, while Terrell was out, others stepped up. Richie Incognito took over at right guard after veteran Adam Timmerman was injured, and Mark Setterstrom, a seventh-round draftee in '06, finished the season as the No. 1 left guard.

Timmerman was released, but holdovers Adam Goldberg and Todd Steussie also are in the mix at guard. So is David Thompson, an undrafted rookie from Massachusetts who is expected to participate in rookie minicamp this weekend.

So Terrell is facing plenty of competition.

"My wrist feels fine, and I'm looking forward to it, actually," said the 6-foot-2 Terrell, who at 345 is about 15 pounds over his ideal playing weight. "If I start at the bottom of the ladder, I'll work my way up to the top."

That must start with impressing Linehan and his staff during OTAs and the full-squad minicamp in June.

"The eye in the sky don't lie; just watch the practice tape every day," Terrell said. "This and that can be said, but when you see actual footage of what's being done, all that should be put to bed."

Ramblings

The Rams boosted their roster of undrafted free agents to 20 with the signing of offensive lineman Chris Messner of Oklahoma. Messner, 6-6 and 286 pounds, was an All-Big 12 Conference tackle in 2006.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Terrell seeks turnaround

Sounds good. Some real heavy competition on the O-line.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I hope he can get it together.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This looks to be a real promising line. And young too!
    Jackson shoulld have a good year. And the fact they got the Fullback they needed, Maybe we will see alot of 2 back sets.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RealRam is offline Registered User

"It's been quite impressive," Linehan said. "He's been working very hard since he's been back, and his focus is on competing and making the team. ... I'm always going to be open to a person's newfound motivation, and (his) is much better than it was. It's been a 180 to this point."
    Okay then. Same here for CT. Let's get it done! :r

Competition will bring out the best from within those that really want to make the team and be starters so I look forward to an improved, stronger quintet of Rams OL this year. .

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

This team will only go as far as the OL & DL takes them. The offence has the talent in its skilled position to compete with the elite offences in the league. The weapons are there IF the line opens the holes and protects the QB. Bulger needs to be able to spend more time looking downfield and down at the turf. The same can be said for the defensive side of the ball. We have developed a lot of quality & quantity at corner and safety. I am concerned about our linebackers. Addition of Draft was encouraging, but the injury to Pisa and the continuing question of Witherspoon being an inside guy instead of an outside guy, has left the team thin at this position. Regardless, it will be up to the front 4 to put pressure on the QB, and keep offensive lineman off our linebackers. Any improvement in the defensive side of the ball, should propel this team into the playoffs.:l
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

general counsel is offline Registered User

I had written terrell off. However, the upside is still there. IF he works hard, i think he can be a solid contributor to the team, depth wise if nothing else.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If Terrell can somehow keep a roster spot after all the drama and bad feeling, it will be an impressive reversal of fortune. His attitude and maturity level still worry me, but a turnaround by a guy that showed a lot of promise on the field would be fine with me.