Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thad Lewis

Zacharync is offline Registered User

Thad Lewis

Hello all,

I am new to the board and writing to get some feedback from Rams fans on how you think Thaddeus Lewis' chances are of making the team.

I am a big Duke football fan(haha I know) and Thad was a true pleasure to watch play in Durham.

I saw he had a decent outing this past weekend and I would appreciate some feedback.

Obviously SB is the man and the plan but I hope Thad will get a shot to make the team.

Thoughts?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Thad Lewis

Well Thaddeus looked good in his first preseason game, he might be able to be a proven backup more than Keith Null though the poor man didn't have any big weapons last season. From what I heard he was trained under David Cutcliffe who were the QB coaches of the Manning brothers. If both Bradford and Lewis flourish, then he can be a good marketing scheme for QB-laden teams but overall I'm starting to like the guy.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I thought Lewis looked pretty good against the Vikings.

The way things are going on the offensive line, Lewis might be the only guy behind center who can keep from getting his head knocked off.

If it were up to me, I'd keep Lewis and Null to back up Bradford and give Feeley the boot.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think it's gonna be tough for him, but he has a shot. Of course Bradford will get one spot. Even though he hasn't looked good, I think Feeley is almost guaranteed a spot just because he is a veteran, and without him it's Bradford, Null, and Lewis. I think the Panthers got several young QBs, so it's not like it hasn't been done before I guess.
    Null was decent last year at times and as of now probably has the edge over Lewis. Lewis looked good in his time the other day, but he's going to have to continue to play very well to make the roster, assuming the Rams keep 3 QBs. With all of the recent injuries to Rams RBs, it is probably a good idea to keep 4 QBs, or at least have one more QB on the practice squad.
    A bit long, but all these thoughts starting popping in my head and I just went with it, lol.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I thought Lewis had better poise than any of the QBs on Saturday evening. He also has good foot speed versus Null and Feeley (and possibly Bradford). I say cut Null and keep Lewis based on one game. We'll see what happens next week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No burn for Lewis tonight? He can't be worse than Null. Actually, he isn't worse.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Disappointing.....wanted to see the kid throw again.

I've noticed what looks like a lot of teams keeping their starters in until the end of the 1st half in this 2nd week of preseason. That naturally means less time for the backups, but I guess they were really going to give Null his shot today.
    In the 3rd week I'd expect whoever the starter is (Bradford of Feeley) to play the entire 1st half and possibly some of the 3rd quarter. Then again if it is still a battle they may split it up again.
    Lewis may not get to see more time until the 4th preseason game when a lot of teams play their starters for maybe a series or two. I hope he gets some time in next week, but that may not happen since the other QBs on the roster also need as much experience as they can get.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

I wish Lewis would have gotten a chance against the Browns. I loved Keith Null until he actually started to play, then I realized how bad he was. He looked terrible as a starter last year, he looked terrible this preseason, and I hope that Thaddeus Lewis makes the team. He can't get any worse, right? He wasn't coached by Ryan Leaf, was he?

And serious question, what offensive system does Duke employ? Are they a spread offense? Do they go under-center a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    I wish Lewis would have gotten a chance against the Browns. I loved Keith Null until he actually started to play, then I realized how bad he was. He looked terrible as a starter last year, he looked terrible this preseason, and I hope that Thaddeus Lewis makes the team. He can't get any worse, right? He wasn't coached by Ryan Leaf, was he?

And serious question, what offensive system does Duke employ? Are they a spread offense? Do they go under-center a lot?
    Hehe. No, he was never coached by Leaf. His last two years he was coached by David Cutcliffe (of Manning brothers fame). Cutcliffe loved Thad and thought he should have been drafted despite some teams issues with his size.

Duke runs a spread offense featuring quite a bit of passing. I would estimate he was under-center 80% of the time while in the shot 20%. Also, Thad was never a run-first type of qb but had the agility to get a first down if need be. Finally, it goes without saying that didn't have the weapons that he does now as a Ram backup.

I hope he makes the team. He is a player.

I hope

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Zachary, when he said "coached by Leaf" he was reffering to Keith Null .

He was the QB coach at West Texas A&M.

I wasn't able to see tonight's game but from the stats it looked as though Lewis had a solid night aside from the INT.

Interested to hear updated thoughts from Ram's fans on Thad's performance and his chances of making the final roster.

Lewis looked great except for that INT. So far he has looked better than Null. I think it is going to come down to that final preseason game though. As of right now I would go with Lewis over Null, but I'm sure both of them will be getting a fair amount of time in next weeks game to have their last audition.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Lewis started before and played longer than Null tonight... that could be a hint.

I watched the whole game tonight (I live in NE) and Thad Lewis looked confident and decisive in his reads, had a quick release, and was accurate. I was actually most impressed with his pocket presence and at how well he avoided the rush for a rookie QB. His only obvious mistake, the INT, happened on a pass he released just before getting hammered on a blitz... he should of just ate it...

By what I've seen so far this PS, I'd kick Feeley to the curb, but that probably won't happen.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Lewis has certainly set up a nice duel with Null in the last preseason game. As Farr kept commenting, he is much more than a good scrambler; he keeps looking to throw even when on the move & showed a good arm & accuracy.The INT may well have been a busted route. Gutsy little sucker,too; he took some wicked hits as the evil Patsies kept their DL ones in against our back-up OL .
    Null was more lucky than good to drive for the winning FG, imo. If you can call getting speared in the face lucky.He's willing to sling it but the accuracy isn't there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast