Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Thank you, Defense & Special Teams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thank you, Defense & Special Teams

Yes, the Rams had trouble stopping the run. But allowing only one offensive touchdown (on the first drive, then NO ENDZONE FOR YOU) and intercepting three passes was fantastic, especially the one to seal the game. That's called making plays when you need them.

Greg Zuerlein - Young GZ, Legatron, and now Record Holder - set new Rams records today for field goal distance and put 13 of the Rams' 19 points on the board. The other six points came on a touchdown pass from the punter (!) Johnny Hekker on a trick field goal play! Aside from one long kick return, kick/punt coverage was good.

Offense, we're gonna have to have a talk.

Simply put, someone needs to start stepping up on offense. Whether it's Bradford seeing the field better, a receiver not named Danny Amendola becoming a more consistent option, or the line actually blocking more consistently. The Rams' defense is playing very well, but this team can't depend on 2-3 turnovers, stout defensive play, and 50+ yard field goals every week for the rest of the year.

Having said that, we're four weeks into the season and we've matched our win total from last year! GO RAMS!!!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

cfin5256 is offline Registered User

Re: Thank you, Defense & Special Teams

Well said, Nick! I don't know how much to read into the offense this game, Seattle has a pretty stout D. Mad props from me to whoever made the decision to go with two rookies at the kicker positions. Both of them have made game winning plays this season.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think its safe to say Greg Zuerlein is a top 3 kicker in the NFL. How the frick did Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, and the scouts find this guy? So many teams passed on him!

And how amazing is our secondary? Russell Wilson literally had NOWHERE to go but checkdowns or runs. I don't think he hooked up even one time with his #1 WR. And the ability to create turnovers is unreal. The memories of Ron Bartell not being able to catch area a long faded nightmare.
    Rambos, RockinRam and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

The game was still on the line when he hit that 60 yarder! NFC player of the week for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think its safe to say Greg Zuerlein is a top 3 kicker in the NFL. How the frick did Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, and the scouts find this guy? So many teams passed on him!

And how amazing is our secondary? Russell Wilson literally had NOWHERE to go but checkdowns or runs. I don't think he hooked up even one time with his #1 WR. And the ability to create turnovers is unreal. The memories of Ron Bartell not being able to catch area a long faded nightmare.
    I read that Fisher told John Fassel to go find a kicker and a punter and he did.

I agree 100% on our secondary, heard all week how great the Hawks secondary is, maybe now we get some pub. 8 INT's and counting!
    Nick likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Courtland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Bradley Flecther and Trumaine Johnson are definitely one of the better CB corps in the league. Maybe they won't get much recognition this year, but in the next couple of years they will because they will be a Top 8 unit.

Now all we need is consistent solid safety play.

And yes, offense does need to step up.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Dude i got Legatron as #1 kicker in the NFL, he might have to add some clutch game winning kicks in his resume. I see a long future ahead of him, hopefully all with the Rams.

And yeah our redzone offense needs some work. We need more 7's than 3's, sorry Greg.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Thank you real refs! God knows the replacements would have botched that fake field goal call.
    bradwill likes this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

19 That's how many points the Rams special teams scored today.

0 That's how many touchdowns the Rams offensive unit has scored in 29 straight possessions. (Possibly a franchise record?)

The offense has to start learning how to cross the opponent's goal line if the Rams have any honest chance of winning again this season. Thankfully, Fisher and Greg-The-Leg stole one for us today.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Savage has a point.

I'm thrilled for today's win -- especially vs. Seaks -- and the effort to stay in the game during 60 minutes. Our D allowed to many rushing yards, our offense is still work-in-progress to get to be more efficient and productive.

I think Bradford will get there with a few more games. A couple of very bad throws today.

Yes, thanks to the Rams ST on this one. Game ball to GZ?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Seattle has been a shut down defense team so I don't know how much you can blame on our offense.

Aaron Rogers- 26/39 223 yards 5.7 ypa
    Tony Romo- 23/40 251 yards 6.1 ypa 1TD 1INT
    Skelton/Kobb- 20/36 210 5.8 ypa 1TD 1INT
    Sam Bradford- 16/30 221 7.4 ypa 1INT

Sam didn't play any worse than any of the other QB's they've faced have(besides maybe Rogers). Seattle just has an outstanding defense. This is the ugly type of football the Hawks induce.

Obviously Sam can improve and our receiving corps is very average but I think we all expected them to struggle this week. I still think that next draft we'll need to draft a top wr(Keenan Allen please), a LT and a TE(Kendricks just isn't that good).

I don't see this offense doing much until we get Wells and Saffold back... not to mention the great play we are getting at LG...
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-30-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

With a more experienced QB. that run game would have ensured a Hags victory. THAT'S what needs to be fixed.
    Bradford & that O-line did a terrific job vs that #1 rated D. Great crunch time throws by Bradford down the field vs a secondary that was supposedly impregnable to put the STs in position to contribute those points.Let that O-line & SJ get healthy & the TDs will come,imo.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Lots of holes in our team but we do have two victories after 4 weeks. wow. w's are really all that matter

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JFMose View Post
    Dude i got Legatron as #1 kicker in the NFL, he might have to add some clutch game winning kicks in his resume. I see a long future ahead of him, hopefully all with the Rams.

And yeah our redzone offense needs some work. We need more 7's than 3's, sorry Greg.
    I'd have to go with the Falcons' Matt Bryant as best FG kicker in the NFL right now because he is money when the game is on the line and has shown that several times the last few years. Besides him, give me LEGATRON!

Kind of amazing to see him line up for a 48 yarder and it seems like a "gimmie" chip-shot. No, not "kind of" amazing, it IS amazing. One helluva a draft pick and nothing wrong with Hekker either. I didn't think Brown/Jones was a weakness on this squad, but it turns out the Rams managed to seriously upgrade both positions and save money even. Brilliant!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast