Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Is There Any Reason Chris Long Souldn't Be Signed Soon?

With #1 pick Jake Long, #3 pick Matt Ryan and #4 pick Darren McFadden all signed, I would think it would be a relatively simple matter to get a deal done with Chris Long. The numbers are in place and slotting Long seems pretty straightforward at this point. The Rams have had the benefit of waiting to see what the market will bear and now need to get the deal for Long done soon. Hopefully the process is being worked out now and we'll get an announcement in the coming days.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Is There Any Reason Chris Long Souldn't Be Signed Soon?

Training camp is still a ways off. As long as he is signed before camp, I don't think it matters that much whether he is signed tomorrow or in 2 weeks .. I believe it will get done sometime prior to camp. As you pointed out, the slots above and below him are already signed, so the parameters are already established, the devil is in the details I guess ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Training camp is still a ways off. As long as he is signed before camp, I don't think it matters that much whether he is signed tomorrow or in 2 weeks
    That's actually an excellent point although I'd still like to see it get done sooner than later.

Mooselini Guest

Maui said it. As long as he is signed before training camp I think its all good. Remember we're also trying to negotiate with Steven Jackson too.

shower beers is offline Registered User

On a side not, it's nice to see all the top picks being signed and in camp. Gives me hope for the future, that not all players are selfish crybabies.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    With #1 pick Jake Long, #3 pick Matt Ryan and #4 pick Darren McFadden all signed, I would think it would be a relatively simple matter to get a deal done with Chris Long. The numbers are in place and slotting Long seems pretty straightforward at this point. The Rams have had the benefit of waiting to see what the market will bear and now need to get the deal for Long done soon. Hopefully the process is being worked out now and we'll get an announcement in the coming days.
    One word agents. I think it is the opposite situation. Since everyone else is locked in with big deals its harder to get a deal done at th 2 spot becuase the 3 and 4 spot is making more money than the first slot. I don't see Chris Long as a selfish guy who would hold out, but agents are greedy and you never know

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Right. How do you properly slot a guy when the guy drafted after him is making more than the guy drafted before him? The agent will want to work off the Ryan contract, while the team will want to work off the Jake Long contract. I'm sure it will be done before camp starts, but it's a little more complicated than the ordinary slotting of contracts.

The numbers are a bit upside down, but the parameters are still there and relatively close. Long is going to slot between the players that have been signed and it shouldn't take rocket science to work it out.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hopefully the process is being worked out now and we'll get an announcement in the coming days. -- R8rh8rmike
    Let's do it ASAP!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont buy the "agents are greedy" logic for one second. The agent's job is to get the best deal for his client, not to be popular with the fans and not to get the guy signed asap. Chris Long is a very smart guy and he is advised by his father. They can end the negotiations any time that they want by instructing the agent to take the deal that is on the table. Its NOT the agents decision whether to accept the offer, the decision is up to the player. Therefore, its very easy for the agent to be the lightning rod for the non-signing, but in reality, the player, not the agent makes the call.

While i am certainly no fan of the Postons, it was orlando pace who made the decision to let them represent him and to make the kind of outrageous demands that they made. Ultimately, it was pace that took control, fired the postons, and got the deal done.

In this case, no harm no foul before training camp opens. Long is a professional, what is the upside to him signing now. Maybe the rams will give him more money between now and camp. Its not like he is refusing to participate in anything.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Assuming negotiations are underway, I'd speculate that he is holding out from signing in hopes of a better offer. Personally, I can not think of another reason.

To me, making a blanket statement that agents being greedy lacks logic is very similar to saying exxon mobil is not greedy. Today's world of big business and industry is rampant with greed. So much so that it is quite sickening!

Certainly I'd agree that a player can make the call at any time. However, that is not to dismiss the influence that an agent can have with the player and using that influence to sway the player to continue negotiations for more money.

Lest you have us believe the agents with the best ratings with clientele are those that encourage their clients to close on record low-ball contracts?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

have any of the rams draft picks been signed?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What? The Eagle Scout hasn't signed yet?

It's football....one of the most brutal sports around. The longetivity in the sport is about as long as HUb and my haircuts......not very.

The owners are making BIG CHANGE at this sport and it's the players who bring in the money. Get all you can Chris....no matter if it means missing camp.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    What? The Eagle Scout hasn't signed yet?

It's football....one of the most brutal sports around. The longetivity in the sport is about as long as HUb and my haircuts......not very.

The owners are making BIG CHANGE at this sport and it's the players who bring in the money. Get all you can Chris....no matter if it means missing camp.
    Wow!

Reality is a steel toe boot to the crotch sometimes, huh.

Tx is right. As bad as it will suck should Long hold out, the truth is this is his career and he has to get max value for himself.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Certainly I'd agree that a player can make the call at any time. However, that is not to dismiss the influence that an agent can have with the player and using that influence to sway the player to continue negotiations for more money.
    Exactly...I was going to make a post very similar to this. Never underestimate the influence a slick agent (greasy used car salesman?) can have on a wide-eyed, "wet-behind-the-ears" kid. Certainly in a best case scenario said kid should have several sagacious advisors and what not; but who said that they know anything about high finance and all the ins and outs of contractural language?
    Being from Arkansas I can assure you that D. McFadden's family was not-how shall I say- the most qualified to advise him. And I'm sure that this scenario is the norm not the exception.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast