Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Is there still time for Avery or Robinson

When it comes to our wide receivers I am guessing...

We will try and lock Clayton (FA) and Amendola (RFA) up for a couple of years.

We will definitely keep Gilyard and maybe Gibson IF he continues to improve.

But as many have pointed out and I tend to agree... we still could benefit from a true number 1.

So the first question is can we afford to give Avery or Robinson any more time to try and fill that spot?

And if the answer is no...

Is there room on our roster for them in the future?

Just for the record I am not labeling either as bust or injury prone... it's just sometimes things don't work out and time runs out.

stl7 is offline Registered User

Re: Is there still time for Avery or Robinson

I think gibson and robinson both took a step back this year so far. They will most likely have to battle for a roster spot as the rams should pick up a big go to wr in FA or the draft. As for Avery if he was the number 1 over them this season it shouldn't change if he heals well. its only week 4, a lot could happen with these guys. Gilyard just started to get going today and bradford was looking for him

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think Gibson has showed promise over the last couple of games, but the fact he wasnt active for the first couple shows where he is on the pecking order

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

it'll be interesting to see what happens with our WR core but isn't this a good problem to have? We're probably going to draft a WR for next year and have a look at D. Alexander. Grabbing a FA is always a possibility too.

Clayton Amendola and Gibson are my favorites though. I like Avery but he has to be able to get on the field.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I think Avery still has a shot because he is the burner on this team. Nobody else we have can match his speed. Robinson, though.... not sure where he fits in.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Avery is in. Robinson is out.

thoey is offline Registered User

Sorry, to be honest, neither have shown that they can stay healthy. We are going to do better than most expect us to do this year thanks to Sam and Clayton.

We *really* need to spend at least two high picks next year on wide receivers until anyone, including ourselves will consider us as a threat.
    This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery was the team's #1 receiver in 2009 and would have been a starter this year had he not been injured. I anticipate that he will be back in 2011 competing for a spot on this team. Robinson, I'm not so sure. He came from Atlanta with a warning tag on him about injuries, and through two seasons hasn't been able to stay healthy. He has talent, but that talent doesn't help anyone if he isn't on the field.

For as much as we fans talk about this team's need for a legit #1 receiver, the Rams may not share that view. Their biggest addition at the position in 2009 was Robinson/Amendola, and their biggest addition in 2010 was Gilyard/Clayton. None of these guys were viewed as premium players or required much in the compensation department.

Iím of the mindset that, if youíre going to spend a first overall pick and $50 million guaranteed on your franchise quarterback, then you need to surround him with elite weapons as well. But the company line from Devaney has been that they have faith in the guys they have, so they may not view this as a priority position.

Depending on how this unit plays and progresses through the season, it might not be. Weíll have to wait and see. But you bring up a good point Ė if you arenít on the field contributing now, your job is being filled by someone else (Clayton in Averyís case, and Gibson in Robinsonís).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

An additional point.......this team may become an attractive option for free agent WRs.

Think about it. You're a soon-to-be free agent WR looking to prove your position as a legit #1 in the NFL. You see a team with:

1. a young O-line that looks to be getting exponentially better each week
    2. a young QB that looks to be getting exponentially better each week
    3. a solid corp of support staff WR, but no true #1.
    4. a RB that forces teams to put 8 in the box.

If I'm looking to prove myself as a #1 receiver in this league, that's an attractive option. I think the Rams could look good to this offseason's crop of FA receivers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I think adding a #1 WR via draft is a recipe for disaster personally, ask Miami.

I say pick one up in FA and draft a WR in 2nd or 3rd round.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    I think adding a #1 WR via draft is a recipe for disaster personally, ask Miami.
    If you're talking about a first round receiver, it's just like any other position - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. A team like Miami didn't have good luck with Ted Ginn, but I doubt Arizona, Houston, or Detroit are complaining about their high first round pick receivers.

Teams just have to do their due diligence and stay true to what they see in the evaluation. The Rams shouldn't reach for a receiver just because they need one (ala Troy Williamson in Minnesota), but if there's one there of good value whom the Rams think will become a stud, they'd be wise to consider him IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Robinson is a UFA he is gone IMO. I think we will resign Clayton who is an UFA and tender Amendola who is an exclusive rights free agent. Gibson, Avery, Gillyard are stilled signed so they probably will probably be there when camp comes around. That gives us 5 guys and also Curry coming off IR and Alexander off the practice squad. We still need that number 1 guy and I think that will be priority number one this offseason.

Unless we think we would be in the area to draft AJ Green I would get an experienced vet like Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith, Vincent Jackson, Randy Moss, or Sidney Rice who are all free agents. Behind Green in the draft there is Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones and Michael Floyd. So if we have football next year it is a great offseason to get a number 1 receiver.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Robinson is a UFA he is gone IMO. I think we will resign Clayton who is an UFA and tender Amendola who is an exclusive rights free agent. Gibson, Avery, Gillyard are stilled signed so they probably will probably be there when camp comes around. That gives us 5 guys and also Curry coming off IR and Alexander off the practice squad. We still need that number 1 guy and I think that will be priority number one this offseason.

Unless we think we would be in the area to draft AJ Green I would get an experienced vet like Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith, Vincent Jackson, Randy Moss, or Sidney Rice who are all free agents. Behind Green in the draft there is Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones and Michael Floyd. So if we have football next year it is a great offseason to get a number 1 receiver.
    I really wish someone would define what in the hell a "number 1" receiver is ....

Because our very own Mark Clayton is currently 13th in the NFL in receptions, and 11th in yards, on a team that spreads the ball around the everyone ....

He has had at least 2 huge receptions in each game ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I really wish someone would define what in the hell a "number 1" receiver is ....

Because our very own Mark Clayton is currently 13th in the NFL in receptions, and 11th in yards, on a top that spreads the ball around the everyone ....

He has had at least 2 huge receptions in each game ....
    GREAT point!!.... and just to add to that...he AND Danny both have more catches and more yards than.... Larry Fitzgerald AND Marques Colston....and the problem is?
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Iím of the mindset that, if youíre going to spend a first overall pick and $50 million guaranteed on your franchise quarterback, then you need to surround him with elite weapons as well. But the company line from Devaney has been that they have faith in the guys they have, so they may not view this as a priority position.
    This is a point I was about to bring up. Time and time again the staff has expressed their confidence and faith in our receivers, and they're beginning to flex their muscle and back up the staff's words.

It will be interesting to see what direction we take this off-season for sure, but I can certainly see it going another way if these youngsters continue to improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast