Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

There is such thing as bad publicity (A note to some of our new members)

NOTE: This is not a Rams topic, per se, but given my belief that this is an important message to our new members as we enter a new season, I'm exercising Moderator privilege and posting it here.

Andy Warhol reportedly once said, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Well, the otherwise unexplainable popularity of the Paris Hiltons of the world aside, I must respectfully disagree with that statement.

This is particularly true with respect to ClanRam (you'll see my point in a moment).

In my opinion, the thing that makes ClanRam the best Rams board on the Net is the fact that we have long-term members who use this site to form cyber-friendships, if you will, with other long-term members. Its a quality over quantity thing - we'd rather have a solid core of regulars than a huge roster of hit-and-run posters.

Sometimes, new posters are so eager to be noticed by the regulars that they go overboard in making themselves stand out. Just recently, we've had new members who have spammed the boards mercilessly, initiated smack battles and then claimed to be Ram fans, picked "fights" with Moderators or regular members, or engaged other disingenuous tactics designed for one purpose: to get noticed.

In the short run, such tactics do tend to get you noticed. However, contrary to Warhol's axiom, at ClanRam there most certainly is such a thing as bad publicity. Make no mistake - the Moderators and regular members will NOT allow this board to become a smack-filled, childish and superficial board like the defunct Rams site board or the PD board.

That does not mean that posters, including new posters, should avoid posts that are compelling, controversial, unpopular, unconventional or even mildly inflamatory. The key is that posts of that type should be made because you truly hold a belief that differs from the majority. If you are posting controversial content just because you want to get noticed, I can assure you that you are fooling nobody, and the attention you receive will be short lived.

So... as I don't want to end this on a negative note, let me say to all the new members that we are happy to have you here, and we look forward to getting to know you at the Clan continue's to grow.

Submitted as this one Mod's opinion...

AvengerRam

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: There is such thing as bad publicity (A note to some of our new members)

If you dont believe av on this topic, just ask mel gibson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    If you dont believe av on this topic, just ask mel gibson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Indeed.

But, in all seriousness. Some of the members (hopefully) are just childish at this point, and obviously with most forums, a lot of them are disorganized and childish. So what do we expect? I think I did some stupid posting(s) here and there, but I learned my lesson, and I think (hope) everyone agrees with me on that one! Some of the new guys, I think we should try to give them an easier time, atleast to the ones that show some potential. Some I see, are just a lost cause, and this post I hope shows everyone to have some manners from now on.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well put AV.
    I believe the main reason the majority of us are on this board is our love of this organization. We might not always agree on certain aspects of the team, but can do so in a civilized manner. Some of the newer ( and younger) posters need to remember that a good majority of the regulars on this board are long time RAM fans. One must keep this in mind when making an argument. I'm not saying that you have to agree, but you can respectfully disagree with your fellow Clan Ram members.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamWraith is offline Registered User

here, here brother!

Well thought out (as always) and many words to live by at the Clan.

P.S.-to everyone that uses this board whether posting or lurking, you are the reason we are here. Without you this place does not exist. You are always welcome, but be mature, polite and treat your neighbors as you want to be treated. Whether you have 5,000 posts or 0. You are a member of a great family.

RealRam is offline Registered User

The keyboard is mightier than the sword -- if you have the right clics ... and the Clan is the place to be!

Welcome new members! That is to say, may we all abide accordingly.

Very good thread / notice, AV.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This board has got to the point of being probably the best source of Rams news on the web. With the only alternative being to listen to BernieM its no wonder dont want important news stories dropping down the board in place of topics filled with pointless arguments and smack talk.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Yes, good post AR, although I keep picturing several 16 year olds googling Andy Warhol and looking up axiom to figure out what you just said!

Joe

chiguy is offline Registered User

Just so long as people don't mind having someone disagree with them, I can play nice. But I'm not a kool-aid drinker.

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

well thought out, and I promise I will not post stupid posts,( I have been banned many times from the az cardinals MB) I still dont know why All i did was tell them they suck??? anyway I will do my part and make sure that I follow ruls. I PROMISE

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

...sigh....must we really pump up the board like this? It is just a board that has a decent amount of regulars that post some decent thoughts on occasion. We have a huge lurking audience that is afraid to speak out, or maybe they can't figure out how to sign on and post. Do we really want to discourage them from writing?

I for one, promise to make stupid posts on occasion when the mood is right and the full moon has risen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    ...sigh....must we really pump up the board like this? It is just a board that has a decent amount of regulars that post some decent thoughts on occasion. We have a huge lurking audience that is afraid to speak out, or maybe they can't figure out how to sign on and post. Do we really want to discourage them from writing?

I for one, promise to make stupid posts on occasion when the mood is right and the full moon has risen.

Well. People wonder why when one person or group does something, why the WHOLE entire crowd starts getting blamed on. Like terrorists for example, they did things to us, that were so horrible, there are really no words to describe such evil committed on 9/11. With that being said, a lot of other people start to get angry when they see people with Turbans, even if they have been living in the USA all their lives.

What I'm saying is, if the younger posters do something stupid, the whole young crowd is going to get a warning, regardless if they ever did anything or not. It's not fair, not much in the world is, but it's just a warning here, and we all demand respect here, and some people were not giving any respect, so this is why a post like this came up.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The thread was never intended to be about young posters. Heck, to me, Nick and Evil Disco Man are "young posters," and they're two of our best.

The thread was directed at shameless attention hounds - of any age.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The thread was never intended to be about young posters. Heck, to me, Nick and Evil Disco Man are "young posters," and they're two of our best.

The thread was directed at shameless attention hounds - of any age.
    True, but for the most part, we do have the most trouble with the newcomers, I meant young as in newer members of the Clan. Like, the younger crowd, the latest people to join, and that is a crowd that you're addressing, and I was just explaining that. Sorry for the confusion. As you know, I don't make sense sometimes, so just hang tight with Vargy! lol And, yes I just spoke in third person.
    Last edited by Varg6; -08-04-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe
    Yes, good post AR, although I keep picturing several 16 year olds googling Andy Warhol and looking up axiom to figure out what you just said!

Joe

As a fully fleged 16 year old myself..... I TOTALLY DID ONE OF THOSE THINGS. I know who Warhol is but axiom totally threw me. Also, as a new-ish member mysself- duely noted. Hopefully the quintessenital being that is the Clanram will not be overrun by us.

Kurt Cobain once said.... "HERE WE ARE- NOW ENTERTAIN US" Again, I hope this does not become the axiom of the boards. DID I USE "AXIOM" RIGHT???

Here's to clarity and popularity for the masses... in small doses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast