Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: There is such thing as bad publicity (A note to some of our new members)

So tell me, how are the newcomers suppose to know what is acceptable and what is not? Some showing off is good, and talking smack is still allowed on this board if you are in the right forum.

Maybe you should list of the members who are causing trouble and what they are doing wrong so that they are aware, and that others understand what sort of standards you are imposing upon the group.

My work fires people without warning and without explanation. Virginia is an employment at will state. Any employee can get fired in a second. It is not good for employee morale and it creates confusion with the masses. No one really understands the rules and no one feels secure.

For instance, is Bar-bq showing off and getting attention becuase he is using big words and talking about Andy Warhol, Kurt Coban and he even called the clan a "quintessential being". Is he trying to get attention? None of that was Ram related in any way.

I love the word quintessential by the way.

I think that you need to identify the trouble makers in public if you want to explain the rules to people. Juat my thoughts.....because general statements about conduct confuse me.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -08-04-2006 at 08:03 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

I think Im ready to start watching soaps. Just as much drama less typing.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I agree with AV

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

AV seems like you might have hit a nerve..............

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    So tell me, how are the newcomers suppose to know what is acceptable and what is not? Some showing off is good, and talking smack is still allowed on this board if you are in the right forum.

Maybe you should list of the members who are causing trouble and what they are doing wrong so that they are aware, and that others understand what sort of standards you are imposing upon the group.

My work fires people without warning and without explanation. Virginia is an employment at will state. Any employee can get fired in a second. It is not good for employee morale and it creates confusion with the masses. No one really understands the rules and no one feels secure.

For instance, is Bar-bq showing off and getting attention becuase he is using big words and talking about Andy Warhol, Kurt Coban and he even called the clan a "quintessential being". Is he trying to get attention? None of that was Ram related in any way.

I love the word quintessential by the way.

I think that you need to identify the trouble makers in public if you want to explain the rules to people. Juat my thoughts.....because general statements about conduct confuse me.
    Calling specific people out serves no useful purpose. I'd rather post a more general standard and allow people to think about it, perhaps introspectively, and, hopefully, keep it mind when they post.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If anything is likely to discourage new posters, it's the thought of being publicly ridiculed for doing something wrong. I think a thread like this is a more positive way of trying to focus on the issue as opposed to the posters themselves. We've got a private message system to let someone know if there's a problem without singling them out.

Anyway, for new boarders, here are some examples of the kind of posts that tend to annoy people:

Spamming:
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster_A
    No. 39 is the best back ever. He'll totally get 2,000 yards rushing this year.
    we have the best running back in the league right now OMG the coaches didn't know how to use him last year we had no running game
    ppl think jackson is injury prone but it just isn't true. he'll start all 16 games and lead the league in rushing.
    Rather than posting over and over, Poster_A could combine them into one post.

Another form of spamming is creating too many threads on the same subject. It becomes a problem when you enter a forum and see something like this:

Inside Slant: Chris Brown Seeks Trade
    Poster_B
    KFFL: Rams interested in Brown
    Poster_B
    Should we trade For Chris Brown?
    Poster_B
    Should we pass on Chris Brown because he is injury prone?
    Poster_B
    What would it cost to get Chris Brown?
    Poster_B
    Chris Brown: an all-around good guy
    Poster_B
    Is Chris Brown better than Michael Bennett (poll)
    Poster_B
    I want Chris Brown to father my children, do you?
    Poster_B

It makes sense for each article to have its own post, but we don't need that many threads on such closely related material. Otherwise, members will find themselves constantly saying (or thinking) things like, "as [Poster_A] said in this other thread... [link]." Effectively, the same discussion winds up taking place across a number of different threads.

Talking smack and then pretending to be a Rams fan
    This is pretty much a no-brainer, but it goes something like this:

Poster_C starts a thread in the smack forum along the lines of "Hasselbeck owns Bulger"

Poster_C posts in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster_C
    Oh right, like Bulger could ever be a Pro Bowl quarterback. That was probably the most retarded thing I've ever heard. There is no point in arguing anymore, you obviously don't get it. the stats dont lie. just wait and see, we'll totally wipe the floor with the lambs
    followed later by...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster_C
    okay, the jig is up. I'm a Rams fan roflmao. don't worry i'm 100% grade A Ram. I was just messing with you.
    As far as stirring up fights with long-time boarders, the best advice is just to be courteous and focus on the topics at hand as opposed to the posters themselves. I'm not claiming I've never been guilty of any of this myself. Just trying to be of some help.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Calling specific people out serves no useful purpose.
    Unless, of course, you want to give them publicity.

Oh wait, that is what they wanted to begin with.

I believe there are signs at the zoo warning folks not to feed the animals.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Av,

Although i do actually see your point your trying to get across, and yes i do tend to kinda share your thoughts, however i feel i must throw my pence worth into the middle,
    Exactly how/what makes a stupid post/thread?. Ok Political, Religious and Personal verbal attacks, are taken as a given and on many boards and forums that is quite rightly worth a ban. What is and is'nt stupid is subjective, so if a poster starts a thread, Jackson runs for 2000 yards and 25 Td's.. can we say that this may or may not happen this season? so is that a stupid thread?
    I do also feel the need to say, that although i've been a member of this site for just over a year, it's only been these last weeks i've actually started posting reguraly, although i was classed as a 'lurker' i did read most of the threads and tried to keep up all what was going on, i did actually see and come over the Boards Mods, at times being OTT in there deletions of posts, yes, some required deleting/editing, which brings me onto
    This is a public message board/forum,and i would like to think that even us a Rams fans even have the respect and curosity for other fans, unless of course they spam the board with stupid and idoitic threads,
    With this being a PUBLIC forum. what right do we have to class what may or maybe not be a stupid thread/post, as long of course, it's not totally right out of stupid city!..
    This in some way people could view it as kind of a dictatorate, that WE Rams fans only welcome What we consider good thread/poster to join in.
    As a mod on other Boards(NFL related and other).. do Mods have the right to edit/delete posts, simply because THEY disagree with each theard ? unless they are breaking the boards rules of course..

Overall i see your point your trying to make, but to try and get 'non stupid' posters, that could be regarded as some what elitest.

I dont mean to diss your thread, but i felt the need to write this..

Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by JackieSlater; -08-04-2006 at 04:25 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure at what point this thread became about "stupid" posts, but if you look at my original post, I didn't use that term at all.

The line should be fairly clear to any poster who is honest with his/herself. If you are posting something because you truly believe it will add something to the boards, nobody will have a problem with that.

If, on the other hand, your only motivation is to draw attention to yourself or to irritate the members here... perhaps you should go elsewhere.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm not sure at what point this thread became about "stupid" posts, but if you look at my original post, I didn't use that term at all.

Yes, Av, you are quite right and i apoligise, you did'nt refer at any stage to 'stupid, or Stupid posters' that was my misunderstanding from other posts in this thread

The line should be fairly clear to any poster who is honest with his/herself. If you are posting something because you truly believe it will add something to the boards, nobody will have a problem with that.

I would like to think that everyone who makes a thead truly believes that in some way it'll add something, hense my point, who determines what is or not a worthwhile thread

If, on the other hand, your only motivation is to draw attention to yourself or to irritate the members here... perhaps you should go elsewhere.
    Very much agree
    Last edited by JackieSlater; -08-04-2006 at 04:41 PM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I am wondering why we have an issue in the first place. I have been visiting the Clan since 2000 or 2001, and been a member for a couple of years, and I don't remember having a problem before.

Is this mainly due to the so-called 'official' board being removed?

If that is the case, we, as members, should be proactive in preventing this board from becoming a clone of the 'official' board. I went there several times, and honestly, it was a nightmare. Rumors, griping, and personal attacks were everywhere. The Clan has always been a step above all the rest. I'm not saying that this board is full of arrogant, holier-than-thou members, because that is nowhere close to the truth. What I am saying is that the Clan allows a bit of latitude, welcomes everyone until they break the rules once too many times, and has more moderators than we probably need. About the number of moderators: Even though we probably don't need so many, it's nice to have the number we do. The sites I visit that have about the same number of members, and fewer mods, also seem to have more posts that cause 'flame wars'. Maybe we do need all of them.

Now, at the risk of enraging some of the members, I'd like to propose a solution.

I know this would be a lot of work for the mods, but has anyone considered a "probationary period" for new posters? Maybe something like the new member's first 50 posts would be approved before they were allowed in, and the posts that did not meet the rules would be rejected, and the member notified as of the reason. After the "probationary period" was over, the new member would then be allowed to post as normal, and hopefully would have learned the rules well enough that the "bad" posts would be minimized.

Sure, our rival teams' smack posts would be a lot lower, but so would the number of posts that end up being removed due to language, content, or many other reasons.

It's just an idea, but maybe we could call the new guys "draftees", and if they don't make the squad, we could always cut them from the roster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12