Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By fearsome foursome

Thread: There's still a lot to do this year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's still a lot to do this year.

Despite the injury to Bradford, there are a lot of goals the Rams can accomplish this year:

1. See what they have in Zac Stacy. Can he establish himself as the Rams workhorse back, or will they need to look elsewhere in the offseason?

2. Develop the young receivers. Even in Sam's absence, it is important that players like Givens, Quick and Austin (and, perhaps, Bailey) get as much playing time as possible. There is no substitute for game play.

3. Continue to explore the best ways to use Austin. Though called back on a technically correct, but entirely unnecessary penalty call, Austin's TD demonstrated that he should line up on the outside more often. I'd also like to see him in the backfield from time to time.

4. Evaluate the O line. Jake Long is there to stay (despite what I consider to be some overstated criticisms by fans and "commentators"). Barksdale looks like he could be viable at RT, but more time is needed. Saffold? Who knows. Maybe we should try him at OG. Maybe not. Dahl and Wells... probably will get another year, but not guaranteed. The other OG spot... still unsettled.

5. Fix the run defense. With such talent in the middle (Brockers, Laurinaitis) the Rams should be better at stopping the run. I think the issue there is more a lack of discipline than a lack of talent, but its worth watching.

6. Put potential cap-cuts on notice. If the Rams need to make financial cuts next year, the top two candidates are Cortland Finnegan (who is clearly playing well below his contract value) and Kendall Langford (who hasn't played badly, but may not be worth his $).

7. Look for keepers in the DB. I think Jenkins is a keeper but, perhaps, should not be the No. 1 CB. Johnson is also a keeper, in my book. Hopefully, McDonald will return and show his worth at the end of the season. Beyond that, the S problem persists.

8. Keep it together. The Rams need to remain competitive so that everyone stays with the program. I still think that 2014 could be a very good year, so the Rams must avoid allowing Bradford's absence to cause the team to take a step back.
    Rambos likes this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: There's still a lot to do this year.

Good list. I'm looking forward to see Quick increase his snap count and keep making plays as well as Givens and Austin improving their play. Will there be anymore Pead sightings?

It'll be interesting to see what the Rams do with O line for the rest of year. Will RT continue to be split between Saffold and Barksdale? Will Barrett Jones be given any time on the field, perhaps the odd series at LG. After seeing Dahl's reaction to Bradford's injury I would very much like to see him kept through 2014.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I want to see Chris Long get to the QB more. Hopefully this decline in production is very temporary.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I want to see Fisher and his staff, put great game plans together and shock some teams.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

If the Rams can stay competitive I will be extremely happy. A 6-10 record would be a success in my eyes as it stands now. The team must show improvement. I would give Barrett Jones a little look at RG/LG, as well as throw a few plays in there for Austin as a speciality package.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The Rams need to remain competitive so that everyone stays with the program. I still think that 2014 could be a very good year, so the Rams must avoid allowing Bradford's absence to cause the team to take a step back.
    Great goal, critical challenge. Can do.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    If the Rams can stay competitive I will be extremely happy. A 6-10 record would be a success in my eyes as it stands now. The team must show improvement. I would give Barrett Jones a little look at RG/LG, as well as throw a few plays in there for Austin as a speciality package.

Do we know if he's a healthy scratch on game days or is he still injured? I'd like to see more of him too, and I was excited to see us take him. Maybe the cut of Brandon Washington is signaling that he's almost ready to play.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I'd like to see WINNING as a goal.
    lordwhttgr likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fearsome Foursome View Post
    I'd like to see WINNING as a goal.
    Well yes, don't we all. To do that, however, there is usually a set of preliminary key goals to achieve.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-24-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Tyop

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I want to see Chris Long get to the QB more. Hopefully this decline in production is very temporary.
    You aren't gonna see this happen until the officials make the opponents stop holding him (and Quinn). As long as the OL can hold, mug, tackle, etc Chris Long without fear of a penalty, he will rarely get to the QB before the ball is gone, or the QB scrambles through the hole created by the hold, mug, tackle, etc.

gap

punahou is offline Registered User

Chris Long seems to be trying to power/bull rush his opponants this year, rather than simply speed rushing or finessing his opponents like he has in the past- perhaps that's why he's not getting to the QB quickly.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I, for one, would be extremely impressed if we kept our poise and went 8-8 or something, it would indicate growth, mature, and chemistry with the team. Remember when Brady went down? Didn't they still go like, 9-7 and into the playoffs? Not that Clemens has the same scenario Cassel did, but I digress: Sam going down is an unacceptable reason for this team to tank. I agree with the list and I think Stacy is going to prove to be a reliable runner worthy of the starting job. I wish we could see more Pead but at this point it seems like we won't ever see him play much in a Rams uniform.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very good list AV. Totally agree with your points, especially #4 and #7 (o-line and DB's). Those are the weak links on our team right now and are likely getting addressed during the off-season. However, you are correct we should examine whom we have on the roster now that can fill those spots adequately. If we don't solidify the O-Line it won't matter whom we have as QB or at the skill positions. The teams that win consistently are those whose lines are solid.

I also agree with your points about the WR's. I want Quick's development to continue because I think he's a future star. I'm actually interested to see how our replacement QB(s) distribute passes and with which receivers they work best.

I'm still confused about our run defense. We were very sound last season in that area and the only change has been the absence of Quinton Mikell. Now that Dunbar is back I want see on Monday how we handle Lynch and Chris Johnson of Tenn, Matt Forte of Chicago plus the 9'ers backs before concluding that we are weak there.

Good list and I truly hope the team comes together during this season.

Go Rams!