Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39
  • 5 Post By rampower
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Things I'm tired of (or, why I want new leadership for the Rams)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Things I'm tired of (or, why I want new leadership for the Rams)

Every team has a philosophy. While there are some aspects of the Rams' current philosophy (Four Pillars, building from the inside-out) have merit, there are trends that I am tired of:
    • I'm tired of feeling like bold draft day trades are "something the Rams' won't consider."
    • I'm tired of conventional wisdom saying "the Rams won't get into a bidding war for an elite FA."
    • I'm tired of the Rams' passing on playmakers in the draft because "we had him slotted" below some OG, TE or DB.
    • I'm tired of the Rams holding back potential impact players in their rookie seasons (Chris Long, Robert Quinn) in favor of "safer" veteran players.
    • I'm tired of not reading about a move by the Rams and feeling pleasantly surprised.
    I guess what I'm saying is, while I don't want the Rams to become the Snyder Redskins or the 2011 Eagles, I would like to see more bold, agressive and creative moves made to improve this team. The current regime can't seem to take such an approach, so change is needed.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Things I'm tired of (or, why I want new leadership for the Rams)

Well put Av. This has been a joke for years. Another December, another look towards the draft. We have NO identity. We need to bring in a new coach, gm, etc. that will place their stamp on this team and finally give the Rams an identity.

I agree with you that we shouldn't become like Snyder, and the Redskins, but we should be players more frequent than we are when it comes to a position of need.

Good post.

richtree is offline Registered User

AV SUMMED UP EVERYTHING I WAS THINKING AND WAS JUST "TO TIRED" TO POST ABOUT.

I expect 5 impact players added to the Rams NEXT Season. I don't care if we have to overpay, trade, move up in the draft., etc....waiting is over...Re-Sign Brandon Lloyd and build from there IMMEDIATELY

Here is how I see it:

Round 1 -- LT or WR (either one is fine) Kalil or Blackmon

Demetrius Bell / D'brickashaw Ferguson / Kareem McKenzie (if we can get one of these they would be an impact free agent signing that would allow us to sign Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffrey

^That's 2 impact players -- LT AND WR

Round 2 -- RB/OLB -- Same deal here one in free agency / one in Round 2 of NFL draft. Running Back with speed and youth or OLB that is freak athletically. We already see Quinn's impact with Long.

Round 3 -- C / CB -- Be agressive on get a center and CB -- move up to get a center later in second round or go after a cornerback .

FYI -- THIS DRAFT IS SUPER DEEP AT SKILL POSTIONS AND THE FREE AGENT LIST IS SUPER DEEP IN OLINE AND DEFENSIVE PLAYERS.....

Lets be first, we sat around this off-season and can't to that again

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I do not fault the Rams for their approach the past two seasons in the draft. Investing heavily in the offensive line was sound strategy. Stockpiling receiving depth instead of going after a "name" guy is likewise a sound approach. The problem is that these guys simply didn't pan out. Amendola, Clayton, Salas and Alexander- all guys who could help us- are hurt. Guys like Saffold, Brown, Smith, Bell etc. have all either underachieved or been injured. While I agree with the general sentiment expressed by AV, there are some things a bad team like the Rams CANNOT do.

One, is select a talented jerk- I will argue this point until the day I die. You cannot and should not take a chance on a guy with major character issues if you are a bad football team. The decision almost always comes back to bite you. Remember Lawrence Phillips? We were bad in the 90's and drafted this guy 5th overall. There are people on this forum who bemoaned the fact we didn't take a guy like DeSean Jackson a couple of years ago. He's shown himself to be a disgrace. While a team like New England can take a flyer on a guy out of chances (Randy Moss), poor teams cannot. Doing so is not "Bold" it's flat out stupid.

Second, is draft or sign guys with a history of injury- While some injuries cannot be forseen, other guys have a collegiate history of being on the shelf. A guy is of no use if he isn't on the field full time. This team needs tough people on its roster- not guys made out of glass.

We are at a point where we need playmakers. Resigning Lloyd is absolutely critical. Drafting a Blackmon or a similar player is also important. Unfortunately, upgrading the O-line is again a priority, as is getting a guy to back up Steven Jackson.

And yes, we have to be bold in how we appraoch 2012. Remember when we got Faulk in a trade, got Trent Green and made a number of other "big" moves in Vermeil's last year? I think we have to take a similar tact at season's end.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This is what frustrate's me the most, being a Rams fan. The low risk, low reward strategy every year does nothing, except keep the Rams treading water. It may look like the Rams are being proactive every year, but all there doing is replacing like with like. The names have changed over the years, but the standard hasn't, and isnt likely too. I just dont think they are doing themselves any favours by playing it this safe, almost every year. The few times the Rams have been aggressive over the last twenty years. It paid dividend's almost immediately. So what is the problem I keep thinking. I do not want the FO to go crazy every year. Hell no. I just wish the Rams went with a bit more quality, instead of quantity in free agency, from time to time. But its the same old story every year.
    It makes me wonder if this team has the same ambition as the competition, to be honest.?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Im tired of drafting players that dont have jaw dropping speed. Besides avery we havent had that since trung canidate and az hakim. Im also tired of drafting high round linemen... If we draft that lt from usc ill fly to ny and shoot the guy who drafts him (just joking).

I believe this offseason we put all our eggs in 1 basket to win this year. We did address all of our areas of need things just didnt work out... Right track wrong train. The good thing though is that we didnt tie ourselves up for years on contracts, everyone is basically on a 1yr deal so we have hope for a quick turnaround as far as next year
    Last edited by Fastcat; -12-08-2011 at 02:47 AM.

rampower is offline Registered User

I am tired of losing. I am tired of rebuilding, eternally. I am tired of always waiting for next year.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    I am tired of always waiting for next year.
    BINGO, lol i say this every year and my peers have been pointing this out to me for a few years now.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

How about we start selecting the best player available in the draft instead of pursuing a particular position?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    How about we start selecting the best player available in the draft instead of pursuing a particular position?
    Agreed. This year, I would eliminate three positions that the Rams are set at (QB, DE, MLB), and six that pretty much never warrant a top 10 selection (FB, C, OG, TE K, P) and from there use the BPA method to decide.

So, I guess that would be BRBWROTDTOLBoDBA.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I'm tired of building on sand... seems like a never ending hole that we just can't fill. Can we get a real football person that can evaluate the talent before we draft them. I'm tired of watching guys we past on making plays... DeSean Jackson is just on of many.

2009 2 Jason Smith OT Baylor
    2007 13 Adam Carriker DE Nebraska
    2006 15 Tye Hill CB Clemson
    2005 19 Alex Barron OT Florida State
    2003 12 Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State
    2000 32 Trung Canidate RB Arizona
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Av, great thread. I agree with your points about about our philosophy, but let's remember until 4 years ago we had a FO driven by the budget minded John Shaw and that accounted for many of the points you made. Secondly, I think we have a deficiency in our talent evaluation that allows Devaney to continually look for "diamonds in the rough", a risky and frequently useless approach. For that reason we will likely fire Devaney and bring a better football mind to the FO who can also assess the long-term outlook for the team. Stan didn't get to where he is by having ineffective people run his teams or other properties, so I'm confident that will happen.

I agree with NJ Ramsfan 1 about staying clear of "talented jerks", but that will happen when the FO gets revamped.

One thing I'm NOT tired of is Spags who may need to improve in certain areas of being a HC, but he's got the players going all out for him. He needs better assistants as well as a QB coach for Sam. We'll get there, as I said in another post "we're not that far away". A solid draft and some good FA signings and a regular off-season and we'll contend. Injuries are of course a fact of life, but think about all the depth we're building this year.

Go Rams!

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm tired of building on sand... seems like a never ending hole that we just can't fill. Can we get a real football person that can evaluate the talent before we draft them. I'm tired of watching guys we past on making plays... DeSean Jackson is just on of many.

2009 2 Jason Smith OT Baylor
    2007 13 Adam Carriker DE Nebraska
    2006 15 Tye Hill CB Clemson
    2005 19 Alex Barron OT Florida State
    2003 12 Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State
    2000 32 Trung Canidate RB Arizona
    Ugh! Why did you have to bring that list up? I was almost through with therapy.