Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Things that are NOT the problem

1. Steven Jackson. Yes, his stats are down and his fumbles are up. But he is still the foundation that the offense should be built around.

2. Marc Bulger. Again, stats don't tell the story. Let's just hope he doesn't suffer any permanent damage behind a decimated O line.

3. Alex Barron. So far, he has held up at LT. With Pace's future in question, he's an important long term piece to the puzzle.

4. Torry Holt. I actually saw a thread on another board saying he should be traded. That's absurd. I do think the WR corps needs a home run hitter (insert Kevin Curtis hindsight posts here), but Torry's the go-to guy.

5. Adam Carriker. He's doing just fine. Most of the big runs have actually come on sweeps and pitch-outs. Between the tackles, there have been few holes. I expect that he'll be a beast by year 2 at the NT spot.

6. Brandon Chillar. Is it me, or has he been our best LB this year?

7. O.J. Atogwe. He's the only guy in the secondary providing any run support. Chavous needs to go.

supachump is offline Registered User

Re: Things that are NOT the problem

I'm not convinced that Bulger is not partly to blame. Sure, he is not the root cause. But I think some of it should rest on his shoulders. He is not playing up to the potential that I think he can and should be.

Part of that is the oline, but not all.. imo

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think you could definitely make a case that Chillar has been our best linebacker. The funny thing about that is he's been derided as the weak link in the linebacker corps for so long and he's only a fourth year player. I hope he starts getting some more credit beyond just the coaching staff.

Bulger has been a small part of the problem the last few weeks, but in the greater scheme of things he's going to be a big part of the solution.

Rambos is offline Registered User

1. Steven Jackson. Yes, his stats are down and his fumbles are up. But he is still the foundation that the offense should be built around.
    SJ is solid, It all depends on how much cash he wants next year. Do we tag him for the next three years?

2. Marc Bulger. Again, stats don't tell the story. Let's just hope he doesn't suffer any permanent damage behind a decimated O line.
    Marc is a stud at QB, Holt is not 100% nor is Bennett. Hard to use Randy when the O line is toast.
    3. Alex Barron. So far, he has held up at LT. With Pace's future in question, he's an important long term piece to the puzzle.
    Looking more and More like big O replacement. Two year in a row we have to play without O. Will next year be three? Is it time to make a move here?

4. Torry Holt. I actually saw a thread on another board saying he should be traded. That's absurd. I do think the WR corps needs a home run hitter (insert Kevin Curtis hindsight posts here), but Torry's the go-to guy.
    Holt is not 100% and still is better the most WR that start. I thought about KC all day, should we have paid him? The Bennett move looks to be a big misstep hope not.
    5. Adam Carriker. He's doing just fine. Most of the big runs have actually come on sweeps and pitch-outs. Between the tackles, there have been few holes. I expect that he'll be a beast by year 2 at the NT spot.
    I agree, with you here AV. I thought I saw Glover looking at Little saying what the F*&%*. Maybe it’s time to use Little on pass rushing down only and go with someone that hold the contain. We have the beef.
    6. Brandon Chillar. Is it me, or has he been our best LB this year?
    Playing well, I also like Draft over Tino. He brings what we don’t have a punch! He took Jeff’s head off and made it a fight early.

7. O.J. Atogwe. He's the only guy in the secondary providing any run support. Chavous needs to go.
    Chavous needs to go, I have seen enough of him missing tackles. Can anyone say Alston in run support? We need a big hitting SS period.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-24-2007 at 12:47 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

oh, I'd agree the Bennett signing looks to be a major mistake. He has poor hands and is a slow moving WR. As soon as they signed McMichael it made him redundant. With Holt slowed by an injured knee the offense is big, slow moving and unable to spread the defense.

I'd also like to throw it there that up until now, Clifton Ryan appears to be our NT of the next 5 years.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He seems to be the only one on the offense with an absolute fire in him. He fights for extra yardage, yes he fumbled again but thats not the norm.

Bulger just didnt play well, he actually seems to be really worried while in the pocket. Taking a beating like he did in the first few weeks is taking its toll. He is rushing things and I understand he's expecting to get drilled because he doesnt trust this o-line.

Not really hearing his name much or the guys name he's blocking which is good.

Youre right that is absolutley absurd. Trade him for what and who. Come on you dont just trade one of the most consistant wr in the history in the NFL. How is any of what is going on with the offense his fault. Yeah he fumbled once if we treat every guy that fumbles like that our team would have no one.

Carriker is doing fine, yes he gets pushed around once in a while but he's a rookie. Name me one defensive player even a superstar on defense that doesnt get pushed around once in a while. I also still think Ryan and Carriker make a better duo than Carriker and Glover.

6. Brandon Chillar. Is it me, or has he been our best LB this year?.
    Yes he is our best LB. I have to be honest with your though. Witherspoon is not a middle LB. We need some beef in there. He gets lost so many times getting run over by o-lineman that because of his size seems to kill us. We are supposed to be fast sideline to sideline but most of the big runs yesterday were pitches so where is our run support. I'll tell you where they are getting buried by much bigger o-lineman. If we had some beef at LB maybe we could fight through some of those blocks and make a stop.

I love Atogwe, where it seems most of our secondary aside from Bartell quits on some plays Atogwe is always in the mix. Chavous is old I think Rod Woodson could come back and perform just as well. Chavous never makes a saving tackle, but when its up to Atogwe he usually makes it. We need safety help big time. Anyone pick up Donovan Darius yet?
    Just Fix It

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Anyone pick up Donovan Darius yet?
    I was thinking the same thing, but seems to me hes had some pretty serious injury problems over the past couple years. Also, I'm pretty sure hes as old or older than Cory.

He aslo got cut from the Faiders where all he was asked to do was provide back up depth.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

slow moving WR.
    Yeah he does look slow but he is still hurting. Not at full speed, I just don't see a guy that can go deep on our roster.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

On the Bennett thing, he may not be at full health right now. Besides, I get the impression that Curtis' departure was more about a chance to start and less about the money. If Curtis was gone anyway, Bennett was as good a choice as any in free agency...unless you'd prefer Daunte Stallworth?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

...and I would also add that our replacement DB's are doing a rather decent job. (I almost can't believe I'm saying this)

I would agree with most of everything you pointed out, with the exception of Bulger. I've been a Bulger supporter from day one, but he looks bad. He looks freaked out. He's making too many bad decisions, locking onto his receivers, making bad throws, and trying to force it in there with Bennett whenever they get into the red-zone. There were a couple of plays yesterday where he totally missed a wide-open reciever, instead, opting to throw into double coverage, or just making a bad throw. If he doesn't snap out of it soon, I'd consider sitting him and let Gus take a shot. Also, in this offensive system, unlike the Martz system, he has the ability to audible out of the called play if he sees something that won't work. Why isn't he doing this? You can't tell me he doesn't see the tight coverage on those ridiculous quick-outs.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I am probably Bulger's biggest fan but at this point I'm concerned about his mental and physical position. The poor guy is beaten up, sore ribs and he just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket at all (rightfully so). I'm worried about him surviving the season and rebounding next year.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I've been the biggest bulger supporter throughout the years but yesterdays game was the last straw for me... The banged up offensive line actually played great and bulger did have time to throw... the lob to bennett in the red zone has to go because bulger just can not throw that ball... then the out pattern to holt when jermaine phillips intercepted the ball.., it was a horrible ball... TO ME BULGER HAS BECOME JIM EVERETT...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Good takes Av, but I have to agree with many of the opinions here that Bulger is a small part of the problem. I love the guy, but he does not look comfortable and even when he gets decent protection he's pressing and making some questionable decisions. Hard to really put too much blame on him though with what he's got in front of him and what he's already been through. I know people are tired of hearing it, but the OL woes are the root of the Rams problems. It's just a difficult situation that is putting a strain on virtually every aspect of the team.

I've been a Bulger supporter from day one, but he looks bad. He looks freaked out.
    Marc has been hit hard, so many times. How could you not be freaked out.

force it in there with Bennett
    On the INT, he had what he wanted, he just threw a really bad pass. That ball was to go out of the endzone or Bennett on a jump ball. He just did not put that ball where it had to be.

The first INT, was a great pick, was not an eay one for sure. The third looked like BL went the wrong way not sure but thats what it looked like.

It was raining and windy also...

I'd consider sitting him and let Gus take a shot
    Not me, How many runs has SJ broke into the secondary? How many runs has SJ broke into the endzone from inside the red zone, none. Why because the O line is a mess. You just don't contiune to roll, when you O line has been lost. We did just pay him, sometimes you have to earn it.

I'm starting to think Nick was right on Draft day. After we took BL in the 2nd , and there was not a stud DE, he said why not add to the O Line. Hmmm, it all starts up front.
    With this O line, it will hard for me to blame, SJ, Marc or the staff.

I know people are tired of hearing it, but the OL woes are the root of the Rams problems. It's just a difficult situation that is putting a strain on virtually every aspect of the team.
    I agree Mike, it's not going to get better until Cog plays, that might help a little in the run game but thats about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast