Thread: Thinking QB

HornIt is offline Registered User

Thinking QB

With Cassel going to the Chiefs, that would seem to leave either Thigpen or Croyle available to be had for possibly a late round draft pick.

With Pennington's performance for the Dolphins last year and their drafting of Henne, it would seem likely that perhaps John Beck could be had for a late round pick at this point.

In Green Bay, they committed to Rogers to be their starter long term and they drafted both Brohm early and Flynn late but Flynn came out on top in the job for the backup spot to Rogers last year. So perhaps Brian Brohm would be available now for a mid round pick?

In Minnesota they just traded for Rosenfels to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting spot. That would seem to leave John David Booty, a guy they drafted just last year, out in the cold. Could he be had for a late round pick now?

So here's the list I'm looking at.

Thigpen
    Croyle
    Beck
    Brohm or Flynn
    Booty

And the reason I'm looking at these QB's is because they are all young, have some NFL experience now and would seem to fit the offensive system the Rams will be running. They all have some mobility and good arms and are all in situations where they should be expendable to the teams they're currently on.

I think somebody like this would be a wise pickup for the Rams to go into the season with a guy who's best years should still be in front of them, who fit what the Rams want to do and who could step in for Bulger should he either get hurt or continue to struggle and would have a shot at being the Rams QB of the future.

In addition, they should still draft a QB such as McGee or Painter in the later rounds.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Thinking QB

Good thinking. This isn't a strong QB class, so it might be tempting for the Rams to make some calls about possible young back-ups who seem to be out of the mix with their teams' recent moves. Your list seems like a pretty realistic one in terms of analyzing who may be available.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would probably go for Brohm out of that group, I don't know how available he would be since he was just drafted in the second round last year, but I think he would be a good fit to develop behind Bulger

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I would probably go for Brohm out of that group, I don't know how available he would be since he was just drafted in the second round last year, but I think he would be a good fit to develop behind Bulger
    I agree with you on Brohm, do you think that they would part with him for our 3rd rounder? and would you be willing to give that up for him?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    I agree with you on Brohm, do you think that they would part with him for our 3rd rounder? and would you be willing to give that up for him?
    I probably wouldn't give up a third rounder, and they will probably want around there, if they even thought about trading him

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Brohm is the third string QB in Green Bay. He lost his second spot to the other kid, Booty. He might could be had for cheap, but he came out being marked for a WCO, and got demoted in GB. So I wonder what the problem was?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Brohm is the third string QB in Green Bay. He lost his second spot to the other kid, Booty. He might could be had for cheap, but he came out being marked for a WCO, and got demoted in GB. So I wonder what the problem was?
    Brohm was drafted in the 2nd round by Green Bay. Matt Flynn, not Booty, who was a 7th round pick I believe and who I liked very much and wanted the Rams to draft, beat him out for the backup job. Flynn was simply more NFL ready IMO, but Brohm may have more upside. I'd be happy if the Rams could get either one for a mid round pick.

Booty is in Minnesota.

All three of those guys play in a similar offensive system so they should pick up Shurmur's quickly if they were brought in.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I still like Harrell as a 3rd QB with anyone of the 3 listed above as a backup.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tonyray05 View Post
    I still like Harrell as a 3rd QB with anyone of the 3 listed above as a backup.
    Harrel showed at the Senior Bowl that he lacked arm strength; believe it or not. I was surprised, since they throw so much at TTU, but he simply could not make some of the throws. His stock really dropped after that game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

stlramman is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind them picking up Thigpen. He seemed like an exciting young player with some up-side. Brohm would be interesting too.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I would have some interest in any of those guys except John Beck. He was awful when he got a chance to play and he is already 27 years old. Thanks but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I would have some interest in any of those guys except John Beck. He was awful when he got a chance to play and he is already 27 years old. Thanks but no thanks.
    The chance that he got was 4 starts as a rookie QB on a 1-15 team.

He is 27 but only 2 years in the league.

He has the tools. He's a mature but still young player. I'd like to see what he could do with a real chance.