Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thomas: Bradford Still In Boot, No Closer To Return

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Bradford Still In Boot, No Closer To Return

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    It's pretty obvious why Feeley is still here.

He is a veteran. Plain and simple.

Having a veteran backup quarterback can be very crucial to a young up and coming player like Bradford. Backup qb's are essentially another coach as they see the play from a different angle than players on the field and are qualified to give advice.

Would you rather have a guy like Feeley who might give Bradford some really good advice and tips on being an NFL quarterback? Or, would you rather have another young guy who hasn't really proven himself in the first place. I doubt Lewis would've had much solid advice to give to Bradford.
    Who cares about advice from a QB who couldn't do it himself? Besides if he needed Feeley's advice, he could call him on his home phone. It's not like his line would be busy.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Again, I'd prefer Lewis. I'm not convinced Feeley really has that much to offer. Bradford is smart, a quick study and he's probably already surpassed whatever knowledge Feeley could offer.
    What has Thad Lewis proved to anyone? O yeah he looks good in the preseason. Werent the Rams 4-0 in thr preseason? Either way Bradford just needs to get back out there when healthy and thoroughly learn this offense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it would be a mistake to discount any knowledge or advice an 11-year veteran like Feeley could give Bradford.

When you hang around that long, even if you aren't a regular starter or even very good for that matter, you still probably pick up a thing or two. Having that kind of experience on the sideline to draw upon if needed is certainly a plus in Feeley's favor. Bradford definitely doesn't know it all at this point, and Thad Lewis' zero games of real NFL experience isn't going to help Sam much.

Plus, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Rams wouldn't have taken down the Cowboys with Thad Lewis at the helm, either.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Again, I'm going to ask, what can Feeley offer up that one of the coaches can't? Shouldn't the QB coach and McDaniels know more than Feeley? And aren't they there for Bradford during games? I'm just not sure I buy the whole experience on the sideline argument.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Again, I'm going to ask, what can Feeley offer up that one of the coaches can't?
    A different perspective due to a shared experience of what something might look like from the pocket rather than the sideline or booth upstairs? Why have two voices helping a guy out when you could have three?

Ultimately, you have to weigh Feeley's experience against Lewis's ability. I think people really fell in love with Lewis in the preseason, but need to temper those performances by remembering what they were - late game achievements against other marginal second and third string players in contests that no one gameplanned for.

You'll notice that Cleveland head coach Pat Shurmur, who liked Lewis enough while he was here as the OC to claim him off of waivers after the Rams released him, didn't immediately promote the guy to the primary back-up spot and cut the $3-million-per-year Seneca Wallace. Wallace remains the back-up, and Lewis is the third QB. What does Seneca Wallace offer that one of the coaches doesn't?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My guess is that McDaniels convinced Spags to keep Feeley over Lewis.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What has Thad Lewis proved to anyone? O yeah he looks good in the preseason. Werent the Rams 4-0 in thr preseason? Either way Bradford just needs to get back out there when healthy and thoroughly learn this offense.
    To me, he's proven that he has talent, athleticism and composure, things you look for in a young QB. I loved his potential, and would have kept him as the backup. Feeley? IMO, he's a Kyle Boller clone who is barely serviceable.

As far as having Feeley around to mentor Bradford? IMO, there is merit to a young, intelligent QB like Bradford learning and experiencing the fine points of the position first hand, on his own, with the coaching staff there to give any needed guidance. Again, I don't see Feeley having much to offer as far as advice or on-field ability.

I do understand why the coaches kept him. They obviously thought the Rams would be competitive this year and that Feeley would give them the best chance to win should anything happen to Bradford.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A different perspective due to a shared experience of what something might look like from the pocket rather than the sideline or booth upstairs? Why have two voices helping a guy out when you could have three?

Ultimately, you have to weigh Feeley's experience against Lewis's ability. I think people really fell in love with Lewis in the preseason, but need to temper those performances by remembering what they were - late game achievements against other marginal second and third string players in contests that no one gameplanned for.

You'll notice that Cleveland head coach Pat Shurmur, who liked Lewis enough while he was here as the OC to claim him off of waivers after the Rams released him, didn't immediately promote the guy to the primary back-up spot and cut the $3-million-per-year Seneca Wallace. Wallace remains the back-up, and Lewis is the third QB. What does Seneca Wallace offer that one of the coaches doesn't?
    Thank you. Thought I was the only one that realized this...

I think it would be a mistake to discount any knowledge or advice an 11-year veteran like Feeley could give Bradford.

When you hang around that long, even if you aren't a regular starter or even very good for that matter, you still probably pick up a thing or two. Having that kind of experience on the sideline to draw upon if needed is certainly a plus in Feeley's favor. Bradford definitely doesn't know it all at this point, and Thad Lewis' zero games of real NFL experience isn't going to help Sam much.

Plus, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Rams wouldn't have taken down the Cowboys with Thad Lewis at the helm, either.
    Say what you want, I'll take the young potential of Lewis over the few words of advice Feeley could give any day, particularly since those words of advice haven't meant squat to this team thus far.

To hold a roster spot for someone because he's a veteran, over a young guy who looks like he can actually play is plain stupid to me, no matter how many teams think that's the way to go. Especially on a talent deficient team like the Rams.

No matter how much any of you try to justify him, AJ Feeley brings absolutely nothing to this team that can't be compensated for, IMO. If you want to draw from experience on the sidelines, how about hiring a QB coach. He'll certainly come a helluva lot cheaper than AJ Feeley.

And lastly, the point is not keep Thad Lewis on the team because he can help Sam, the point is keep him on the team because he can potentially help the team in the absence of Sam.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

^ I think it's funny that you keep acting like Feeley is just awful when he played just as well, if not better, than Lewis did in those same preseason games.

Honestly I could of cared less who we kept but to act like choosing the solid vet over the unproven rookie was an awful choice is silly. It was a toss up. We didn't expect to be 0-6. Most of us thought we'd be contenders and if we had came in to last week 2-3 or 3-2 I certainly would of preferred to have the vet fill in for a couple games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Say what you want, I'll take the young potential of Lewis over the few words of advice Feeley could give any day, particularly since those words of advice haven't meant squat to this team thus far.

To hold a roster spot for someone because he's a veteran, over a young guy who looks like he can actually play is plain stupid to me, no matter how many teams think that's the way to go. Especially on a talent deficient team like the Rams.

No matter how much any of you try to justify him, AJ Feeley brings absolutely nothing to this team that can't be compensated for, IMO. If you want to draw from experience on the sidelines, how about hiring a QB coach. He'll certainly come a helluva lot cheaper than AJ Feeley.

And lastly, the point is not keep Thad Lewis on the team because he can help Sam, the point is keep him on the team because he can potentially help the team in the absence of Sam.
    I think we saw today why the Rams may have preferred to keep Feeley over Lewis.

Let's be clear, Feeley had some moments of glaring inaccuracy. Holding onto the ball too long near the goal line helped the Saints get on the board. But despite that, he maneuvered well in a questionable pocket, went through his progressions, kept his eyes downfield, and identified single coverage opportunities. He was quick and decisive when making decisions off of the blitz. His touchdown pass to Lloyd was perfectly delivered between two defenders.

The value of that kind of game experience when your starting quarterback goes down is hard to quantify, let alone what his veteran experience can provide when Sam is on the sideline, in the film room, or on the practice field. He attained these skills through game experience that Thad Lewis simply does not have.

Does anyone honestly think Lewis would have been as or more decisive/effective against an aggressive New Orleans defense that was bringing pressure from different angles? You're more than welcome to think so, but the problem is you have no meaningful examples to point to in support of that opinion. Lewis has never played in a regular season game against starting-caliber opponents that are running a real gameplan.

A.J. Feeley, flawed as his performance was today at times, did enough to help the Rams get their first win of the season. He helped the team in the absence of Sam, which is exactly what you want from the position.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I think we saw today why the Rams may have preferred to keep Feeley over Lewis. Let's be clear, Feeley had some moments of glaring inaccuracy. Holding onto the ball too long near the goal line helped the Saints get on the board. But despite that, he maneuvered well in a questionable pocket, went through his progressions, kept his eyes downfield, and identified single coverage opportunities. He was quick and decisive when making decisions off of the blitz. His touchdown pass to Lloyd was perfectly delivered between two defenders. The value of that kind of game experience when your starting quarterback goes down is hard to quantify, let alone what his veteran experience can provide when Sam is on the sideline, in the film room, or on the practice field. He attained these skills through game experience that Thad Lewis simply does not have. Does anyone honestly think Lewis would have been as or more decisive/effective against an aggressive New Orleans defense that was bringing pressure from different angles? You're more than welcome to think so, but the problem is you have no meaningful examples to point to in support of that opinion. Lewis has never played in a regular season game against starting-caliber opponents that are running a real gameplan. A.J. Feeley, flawed as his performance was today at times, did enough to help the Rams get their first win of the season. He helped the team in the absence of Sam, which is exactly what you want from the position.
    Exactly. What you want your backup to be able to do is manage games if hes called on. Lewis, being a young and raw quarterback, would've probably tried to do to much with his opportunity.

I think we saw today why the Rams may have preferred to keep Feeley over Lewis.

Let's be clear, Feeley had some moments of glaring inaccuracy. Holding onto the ball too long near the goal line helped the Saints get on the board. But despite that, he maneuvered well in a questionable pocket, went through his progressions, kept his eyes downfield, and identified single coverage opportunities. He was quick and decisive when making decisions off of the blitz. His touchdown pass to Lloyd was perfectly delivered between two defenders.

The value of that kind of game experience when your starting quarterback goes down is hard to quantify, let alone what his veteran experience can provide when Sam is on the sideline, in the film room, or on the practice field. He attained these skills through game experience that Thad Lewis simply does not have.

Does anyone honestly think Lewis would have been as or more decisive/effective against an aggressive New Orleans defense that was bringing pressure from different angles? You're more than welcome to think so, but the problem is you have no meaningful examples to point to in support of that opinion. Lewis has never played in a regular season game against starting-caliber opponents that are running a real gameplan.

A.J. Feeley, flawed as his performance was today at times, did enough to help the Rams get their first win of the season. He helped the team in the absence of Sam, which is exactly what you want from the position.
    A.J. Feeley played well enough to win today, which is all you can ask from him. Kudos go out to him for his performance.

Now having said that, I still prefer Lewis, if for no other reason than his decided mobility advantage. I think his mobility alone would've offset some of the blitzing the Saints did.

Couple that with the fact that a smart coaching staff would provide a gameplan that would've made up for some of the things that he lacked in experience.

Perhaps there would've been a lot of draws and screens, maybe even a QB draw or a shuffle pass or two. You know, those plays most teams run to offset or slow down a blitzing team. And I personally think he (Lewis) would have little problem executing the gameplan, experienced or not.

We'll obviously never know, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Now having said that, I still prefer Lewis, if for no other reason than his decided mobility advantage. I think his mobility alone would've offset some of the blitzing the Saints did.
    I'd still prefer Lewis as well. Feeley was able to manage things for the most part and threw a great TD pass, but he makes me very uneasy. I hold my breath every time he looks to throw the ball. I'm really looking forward to him going back to the clipboard. That said, he has my complete support while he's the starter.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12