Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thomas: Bradford Trying To Return

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Bradford Trying To Return

Bradford trying to return

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, December 9, 2011

With a sore ankle, the season officially a lost cause and only four games left, is it time for quarterback Sam Bradford to call it a season, get healthy and try it again in 2012?

If he had his druthers, he'd avoid the injured reserve list, he said.

"That hasn't entered my mind," Bradford said Thursday. "I really hope it doesn't come to that point. That'd be pretty disappointing for me. But if that's what our doctors feel is best for my long-term health, then it's an option that I would have to think about. But it's really something that ... I don't want to think about that."

The only thing on Bradford's mind now is getting his left ankle as healthy as possible and returning to action Monday night in Seattle. For the second day in a row, Bradford didn't practice Thursday. Neither did A.J. Feeley, who's expected to miss at least one game with a fractured right thumb.

"I really haven't done a whole lot but try to rehab and try to get (the ankle) back to functional where I can play," Bradford said. "I'm really not sure when I'm going to get back on the field and try it out, but I think that's coming later this week."

Bradford missed the San Francisco game after aggravating a high ankle sprain that originally occurred Oct. 16 in Green Bay. He has been wearing a small air-cast on his left foot at times this week but hasn't gone back to the walking boot he wore after the initial injury.

Even if Bradford has limited or no practice time this week, coach Steve Spagnuolo said he wouldn't be opposed to starting him against Seattle if the ankle is healthy enough.

"I think he's far enough along in the system that he could function and be fine," Spagnuolo said. "But the first thing obviously is that we're just trying to get the foot as healthy as possible. But he did almost that in that Arizona game."

By that, Spagnuolo meant the first Arizona game Nov. 6, when Bradford played after missing two games. That week, Bradford took maybe half the reps in practice the Friday before and got some work during the Saturday walk-through. But that was it.

"And I thought he fared pretty well (against the Cardinals)," Spagnuolo said. "So it's possible."

The toughest part for Bradford about playing a game with little or no practice is the batch of new plays that are put in every week.

"It would be nice to be in there and rep those and get the timing," Bradford said. "But for the most part, I feel comfortable enough with everything that we have (in the offense) that I should be able to play if I don't practice."

For the second day in a row, Tom Brandstater took all the reps in practice with the starters. Kellen Clemens, claimed on waivers Wednesday from Houston, wasn't at practice. He had travel complications and was still en route while the Rams practiced Thursday. So that leaves Clemens with only two practice days — today and Saturday — to get ready to play Seattle.

"I remember Kellen from my days in New York when he was with the Jets," Spagnuolo said. "I want to say I coached against him, but I don't know if he was starting that particular day. But I saw enough of him in New York, you know, he started games there for the Jets. We didn't know this was going to be presented to us, obviously, but you have a chance to pick somebody up off of waivers, and we did that."

Clemens has some NFL experience, appearing in 25 games with nine starts over five seasons with the Jets, but he doesn't know the Rams' offense. Brandstater at least has some knowledge from his time in Denver with Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, so it may make more sense to start him against the Seahawks than Clemens if Bradford can't go.

On a conference call Thursday with St. Louis reporters, Seattle coach Pete Carroll was honest when asked what he knew about Brandstater.

"Not that much," Carroll replied. "We're kind of counting on Sam getting back in there. And figuring that by resting him and not having him go last week, he'll probably be able to play."

Brandstater can't afford to think that way. Until he hears otherwise, he's preparing as if he will start Monday night in Seattle.

"It would be a dream come true," Brandstater said. "I never thought this would be the stage, but if it is I'll be as excited as can be."

Brandstater has a fresh haircut this week. The shaggy look is out; he's clean-cut now. But he says it has nothing to do with a possible appearance on prime time TV.

"No, the haircut has been a long time coming," he said. "Actually, I was home for Thanksgiving with my mom and she was grilling me about my long hair. She just didn't think it fit my image, I guess."

Brandstater had been with the Rams for eight weeks, on either the practice squad or the active roster, until his release Nov. 9. He stayed in St. Louis for most of the next three-plus weeks before he was re-signed Dec. 2. During that time he had been working out at a local gym. He also threw some passes to his brother-in-law over Thanksgiving, but that didn't work out too well. His brother-in-law apparently has hands of stone.

"He knocked it down," Brandstater said. "He was definitely a good backstop."

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Bradford Trying To Return

I'd rather lose 50-0 and have Bradford healthy in a few weeks than lose 50-7 and have him injure his ankle to the point where he needs surgery. They should put him on the IR list now and finsih the season with scrubs.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    I'd rather lose 50-0 and have Bradford healthy in a few weeks than lose 50-7 and have him injure his ankle to the point where he needs surgery. They should put him on the IR list now and finsih the season with scrubs.
    Well, Spags is coaching for his job...Whats he care if Bradford needs season ending surgery. It'll just be the next coaches problem. Im hoping his stubbornness not to just force Bradford to sit doesn't result in our undoing for next season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Shut him down. This season is over, and the last thing this team needs is for Bradford to reaggravate this injury and have it linger over into the offseason.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Shut him down. This season is over, and the last thing this team needs is for Bradford to reaggravate this injury and have it linger over into the offseason.
    As much as I do want to see Sam play this Monday night. I just get the feeling that Bradford is pushing his luck, trying to play behind this line. He is definitely going to have to be on his tippy-toes, in the remaining games. I do give credit to Bradford, for the toughness shown this season.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Bradford is tough as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Well, Spags is coaching for his job...Whats he care if Bradford needs season ending surgery. It'll just be the next coaches problem. Im hoping his stubbornness not to just force Bradford to sit doesn't result in our undoing for next season.
    You don't really think this is how Spags is looking at the situation, do you? He may not be a great head coach, but he's a decent, principled man. No way would he risk harm to Bradford in an effort to try and save his job, or for any other reason.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You don't really think this is how Spags is looking at the situation, do you? He may not be a great head coach, but he's a decent, principled man. No way would he risk harm to Bradford in an effort to try and save his job, or for any other reason.
    Most teams would've placed him on the IR by now, especially if he's an aggravation from surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Most teams would've placed him on the IR by now, especially if he's an aggravation from surgery.
    So that validates your point?

While I don't think Spagnuolo is intentionally putting himself over Bradford, the risks in playing an injured Bradford far outweigh the potential rewards at this point.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yeah Spags would not let Bradford play if it would set him back, he's way to conservative for that. If Sam can go he should he needs the reps.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

"And I thought he fared pretty well (against the Cardinals), said Spagnuolo. So it's possible.

Is this guy playing with a full deck or what? Sam had maybe half the reps in practice that week and it showed..He looked and played HORRIBLE!!

Yet his soon to be former coach says he "fared pretty well?" What game is he watching? The friggin' offense scored a whopping 13 points and was *****-slapped all over the field all game long.

I like Spags as a person and all but I'm afraid he is starting to sound more and more delusional as time goes by.

Mebbe he needs a long vacation or something. Somehow I think Mr. Kroenke is going to oblige him. Soon.

WHAT SAY YE?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    "And I thought he fared pretty well (against the Cardinals), said Spagnuolo. So it's possible.

Is this guy playing with a full deck or what? Sam had maybe half the reps in practice that week and it showed..He looked and played HORRIBLE!!

Yet his soon to be former coach says he "fared pretty well?" What game is he watching? The friggin' offense scored a whopping 13 points and was *****-slapped all over the field all game long.

I like Spags as a person and all but I'm afraid he is starting to sound more and more delusional as time goes by.

Mebbe he needs a long vacation or something. Somehow I think Mr. Kroenke is going to oblige him. Soon.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I guess horrible is debatable. Bradford was 17 of 31, for 203 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTS, with a QB rating of 85.8, his best of the season. He was sacked 2 times, which was a monumental improvement from the 5 times he was sacked the week before. "Faired pretty well" seems like a reasonable assessment to me and not at all delusional.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I guess horrible is debatable. Bradford was 17 of 31, for 203 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTS, with a QB rating of 85.8, his best of the season. He was sacked 2 times, which was a monumental improvement from the 5 times he was sacked the week before. "Faired pretty well" seems like a reasonable assessment to me and not at all delusional.
    That was the second game against the Cardinals. What Spagnuolo and RAMarkable are referencing is the first game against the Cardinals, when Sam returned despite limited reps in practice. In that contest, he was 23/ 36 for 255 yards with an interception for a QB rating of 73.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That was the second game against the Cardinals. What Spagnuolo and RAMarkable are referencing is the first game against the Cardinals, when Sam returned despite limited reps in practice. In that contest, he was 23/ 36 for 255 yards with an interception for a QB rating of 73.3.
    Regardless, calling Spags delusional, questioning if he's "playing with a full deck", or making the case that he would purposely risk injury to Bradford to save his job is a bit extreme IMO. If people want to slam him, there are plenty of legitimate issue like game management or team preparedness to go after him on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast